Robo
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 08:17:49 pm »
Hera (greek) = Juno (Roman)

Daniel Krispin

Robo
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2005, 09:45:42 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Hera (greek) = Juno (Roman)

Strictly speaking, ‘Ηρα is Hellenic, and Iuno is Latin.

Juno, though, was not, I do not think, the same goddess as Hera. In later times, when the Greek/Hellenic and Latin cultures crossed, they were identified with the same and, indeed, the Romans took many of the Hellenic myths to be their own, putting in the names of their gods. But in origin, I think Juno was the patron goddess of one of Rome's enemies nearby in Italy. The Romans were defeated, at which they prayed to this goddess that they would worship her with a better temple if only they could be granted victory. Well, Rome won in time, and Juno became a principle goddess.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Robo
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 01:20:39 am »
If thats true, the me has been lied to.  DAMN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

Daniel Krispin

Robo
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 01:49:46 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
If thats true, the me has been lied to.  DAMN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

Be mindful, however, I may be wrong. Yet also, this was taught me in a university Classics course; I should not expect public schools to have knowledge nor detail enough to teach it. And yet further: if one examines only the myths, then it seems very good and fine that they should be the same. This difference is based upon historical events, ones likely not taught until the university level. For most purposes, after all, one may call them alike. I merely felt inclined to point out the origin, for interests sake.

Here is another interesting origin, one that caught me by surprise: Athene, especially as she relates to the city Athens. I was always of the impression that the city was named after her in homage. That is, after all, what myth proclaims. And yet, I have read, in a book of a more scholarly vein (when finding matter for a paper I wrote for the selfsame Classics course) that it is likely that it is rather the reverse. That, in ancient Mycenean times - say 1200BC - this was the goddess defender of the city of Athens. She was the defender of Athens, and thus she got her name. In later times - Homer wrote in about 700BC, after the end of the Dark Age - she became a goddess proper, being lady of household crafts and skilled workers - as well as the orders of war, phalanx-lines, battle-order, the sword-dance, and so on and so forth. Likely this is the course of develepment for many of the gods, but this is the only one I know of for certainty. Fascinating, eh?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Robo
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 05:51:32 am »
Want another fascinating stuff? Okay, Athena was supposed to have be born popping out of Zeus' head, when Hephaistos struck his head with an axe because he had a headache... Yet in another myth, it is said that Hera gave birth to Hephaistos by herself (without a male partner) because she was jealous that Zeus gave birth to Athena without apparent female partner... One myth says that Hephaistos existed before Athena, while another says that Athena existed before Hephaistos... Plot-hole...

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Robo
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2005, 07:13:26 am »
All depends on your poet of choice.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Robo
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2005, 11:54:30 am »
asexual deities are fun. Look at Jebus. He was coo'

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
Robo
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2005, 02:53:48 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
asexual deities are fun. Look at Jebus. He was coo'

I don't know if I should be offended because I'm a Catholic, or dumbfounded by what you just said.

Jesus never had a child, unless you believe Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code with the whole Mary Magdelyn(?) thing.  And if what you are hinting at is The Immaculate Conception (when Mary gave birth to Jesus and remained a virgin) then you are still wrong.

Aesexual = Clone.  Jesus wasn't Mary's clone.  Your quirky post(s) was(are) stupid and very far from funny.

Daniel Krispin

Robo
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2005, 03:07:49 pm »
Want another fascinating stuff? Okay, Athena was supposed to have be born popping out of Zeus' head, when Hephaistos struck his head with an axe because he had a headache... Yet in another myth, it is said that Hera gave birth to Hephaistos by herself (without a male partner) because she was jealous that Zeus gave birth to Athena without apparent female partner... One myth says that Hephaistos existed before Athena, while another says that Athena existed before Hephaistos... Plot-hole...

Well, the birth of Athene was due to Zeus' love of the Titaness Metis, she of wisdom. But Prometheus, I think it was, prophecied that the child born of her - and she was pregnant - would be mightier than Zeus, and would be destined to overthrow him, even as Zeus had done to his father Kronos, and Kronos to Ouranos before. So he tricked Metis into turning into a fly, and swallowed her. Some time later Athene was born, with all the strength and power and counsel of what would have been that male child, but without the ambition.

As for the disparities... that is rather regionalities. This is the same reason that our myths speak of Zeus as having multiple wives in succession, ie. Leto, Metis, Themis, Hera... different regions spoke of different ones in their myths. Now we put them in succession in order to resolve the complicated matter of disharmony.

As for Jebus which was mentioned later ... Jebus was Jerusalem, and had nothing to do with Jesus whatsoever.

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Robo
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 01:48:14 pm »
Jebus is also used as a comical way to pronounce Jesus,too.

Daniel Krispin

Robo
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 03:12:07 pm »
Quote from: CatchRBFivy
Jebus is also used as a comical way to pronounce Jesus,too.

So I've heard, but it makes absolutely no sense, and has no humour, to my ears. Etymologically, it has no connection to any of the forms of Jesus, whether Jesus, or Joshua, Iesu, or Ieshua, or any of the others. From what I have heard tell, it comes from some famed cartoon series or something alike which I have never seen. Personally, to me, Jebus (or, technically, Iebus, which is what it probably is) will always be 'the city of the Jebusites', the name of Jerusalem before David and his general Joab took it, by coming in through the city well.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
Robo
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2005, 12:06:15 pm »
I don't know if I should be offended because I'm a Catholic, or dumbfounded by what you just said.

Jesus never had a child, unless you believe Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code with the whole Mary Magdelyn(?) thing. And if what you are hinting at is The Immaculate Conception (when Mary gave birth to Jesus and remained a virgin) then you are still wrong.

Aesexual = Clone. Jesus wasn't Mary's clone. Your quirky post(s) was(are) stupid and very far from funny.

It's alittle bit of both. But meh. Asexual does not always mean Clone, by the way. Look at Lavos. as for "Jebus" that's how I've always said it.

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Robo
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2005, 04:50:24 pm »
No, sorry, your wrong.  Take a biology course.  Read about aesexual reproduction.  It produces a 100% genetic CLONE.  Alike in every single way imaginable.  "Selfing" uses the sperm and egg from one organism.  Wchich means 100% of the genes came from one being to create another being.  Thats a clone.  "Spuding" an organism creates an exact duplicate of itself by branching off a CLONE after it duplicates its own cells.

Cloning isn't restricted to science fantasy and lab experiments liek you most likely think.  We didn't create the process, it happens in nature.  We are just trying to do it our own way scientificly.

Please tell me how aesexual does not mean clone.  Because there is none, but you seem to be sure that there is a way.  Unless you were just saying things that sounded true to you in order sound credible

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Robo
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2005, 05:41:25 pm »
Quote from: CatchRBFivy
Please tell me how aesexual does not mean clone.  Because there is none, but you seem to be sure that there is a way.  Unless you were just saying things that sounded true to you in order sound credible

Mutation. But in general, yes, asexual reproduction leads to a perfect clone. Of course, in the case of using gametes from the same organism, that needn't result in a carbon copy. Why not? If there are any traits for which the source organism is heterozygous, there are different possible gametes in can create, and thus, different organisms.

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Robo
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2005, 05:52:13 pm »
Yeah, I realized I forgot to mention that (not mutation, thats not very pertinant to cloning since the chances of a mutation are unlikely, and ever more unlikely to be advantages to a species),  but they are still traits taken from just one individual.  I doubt this is the reason behind Aura's post anyway.  Jesus could have been a clone in that sense, but I doubt Mary was a hermaphrodite.  So for the sake of the argument, its not possible for Jesus to be a clone, not only because historical and biblical scripture supports it, but because humans cannot self-replicate.  

And using Lavos as an example doesn't credit to you Aura.  Lavos is a being in a VIDEO GAME about MAGIC and TIME.  It can't apply to the real-world in this case.