Author Topic: Speed Runs  (Read 2371 times)

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« on: August 09, 2005, 10:25:29 pm »
I'm a huge fan of gaming speed runs.  The only ones I've really ever attempted are Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3.  I own them.  Don't mess with me on them.  I frequent planetquake.com, which has speed runs for tons of games, but none for Trigger Cross.

I'm wondering if CT and CC are speed runnable?  If so, they'd have to fall into different categories.

Trigger
Fast Run Starting with a fresh game, time it takes to beat Lavos.  Must revive Crono.

Quests Run Fresh game, must complete ALL sidequests.

Power Run Start with New Game + at any desired level.  Must complete all sidequests in game.  I think this would be the only way to do a new Game + run, because then basically the game would come down to everyone running right into the telepod, and seeing how fast they can beat Lavos.  Another option is to have a cap starting level (ex: 60).

Cross
Fast Run Fresh game, must use Cross to free Schala.

Power RunNew game + (possible cap level), must use Cross to free Schala.  

I'm wondering how interesting the runs could be.  I think the biggest turning point would be how people approach different enemies, as in defeating them, running away from certain ones but not gaining exp, etc.  As far as actually running through the game, it's pretty much be the same until you get to the sidequests.  

The problems rely in reliability.  First off, I don't think anyone would use PSX.  I THINK the loading times for battles actually does cut into clocktime, which would be an automatic bad time for anyone using one.  Then you get to the people using SNES or roms.  Roms could be a real problem, between the hacking and the savestates.  But, I think if people were completly reliable and trustworthy, we could have some interesting competitions.   :D

Edit: The last two paragraphs obviously only apply to CT.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Speed Runs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 11:05:10 pm »
Hmmm...I'm not really much of a speed runner my self, as interesting as they can be to watch. I've been playing on the PS version. From start to finish, all quests, first time through was about 15 and a half hours. Right now, I'm going for the fight Magus/don't resurrect Crono ending, but I'll save before the final battle and see where it goes from there. I came into this game with an average level of 62.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 03:39:36 am »
The Speed Shifter in New Game+ will make Speed Runs a breeze.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 11:05:40 am »
Quote from: Legend of the Past

Forgot about that.  I'd personally make it legal.

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 11:11:35 am »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
Quote from: Legend of the Past

Forgot about that.  I'd personally make it legal.

Hmm. It's not that hard in New Game+ either, considering there's nothing that can resist you.

Fresh Game, on the other hand...

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
Speed Runs
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 01:16:27 pm »
i think i started a new game plus one day in the morning and beat chrono cross that night cause of the thing that speeds up time. XD

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 04:47:20 pm »
As I'm currently on one of my Trigger fixes (usually alsts about 3 weeks, then don't play it for a few months, then back on again) I'll start a Fresh Run tonight.  I'm not gonna go REAL hard at it, but see what I can do.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Speed Runs
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 06:51:26 am »
The only games I've ever attempted to do "Speed Runs" in are the Metroid games...I'm fairly sure I got The Return of Samus to around 2 hours or so...YES! SAMUS IN HER BIKINI/BRIEF THING! WH00T!

Otherwise, I don't see the point...Unless you just want to see if it can be done or if you yourself can do it...

Legend of the Past

• View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 09:52:23 am »
Some weapons can be gained only in time limits in some RPG's. There's one weapon in FF IX (Excalibur II, me thinks) that can be gained only under 12 hours.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 10:53:33 am »
I'm just doing it for the hell of it... I mean there's not a ton to do in CT once you've played it 40 million times already.  Don't even get me started on FFIX, I'm a FFIX whore.  Got the Excalibur II, and it was a doozy.

Memories of a Green

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 11:28:55 pm »
Quote from: DeweyisOverrated
I'm just doing it for the hell of it... I mean there's not a ton to do in CT once you've played it 40 million times already.  Don't even get me started on FFIX, I'm a FFIX whore.  Got the Excalibur II, and it was a doozy.

Hmph, lucky you. I've tried three times and always gotten it within 12:30 - 13:00  :cry:.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 01:35:12 am »
Do you skip the cutscenes?  They actually ADD to your time.  So just open and close the lid really fast (or open the slot if youre using ps2) and itll skip the cutscene and save valuable time.  Also, during the Hunting Festival, kill yourself off immediatly and you'll save a precious 15 minutes as well.   I tried it once and finished with 11:51 or something.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Speed Runs
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 03:58:51 am »
~6:30 (Didn't check after battle with Lavos) for Magus defeated, Crono not resurected, no side quests. Mind you, this was a New Game+, with no party member walking in under level 63.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Speed Runs
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 04:09:32 am »
Current fastest game: 12:37, Crono resurrected, regular new game on a cart (don't have a rom/emu) no sidequests except for Black Omen.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Speed Runs
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 04:12:10 am »
Quote from: Kazuki
Current fastest game: 12:37, Crono resurrected, regular new game on a cart (don't have a rom/emu) no sidequests except for Black Omen.

Ah, in that case I should also mention that I was playing on the PSX and that I used the bucket to get to Lavos.