Author Topic: Chrono Trigger HD-2D remake rumors  (Read 5412 times)

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger HD-2D remake rumors
« on: June 20, 2023, 12:55:48 pm »
Not news worthy yet, but could be if it turns out to be true. A leaker states that a Chrono Trigger remake in the HD-2D art style is in the works. They've been right about things in the past, but wrong about other things too. Something to keep an eye out for.

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2023/06/hes-back.html?m=1

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger HD-2D remake rumors
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 12:22:26 am »
This would be amazing if true, although Chrono rumors have let me down many more times than not. Fingers crossed!!!

Edit:
I bet the rumor is being fueled by this fan proof of concept that was released a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Z64OwgEfs
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 12:40:43 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 08:08:23 pm »
the Direct has come and gone, and while a beloved Square RPG of that era did indeed get an HD remake announcement, this wasn't it.

However.

Zippo did say that these were two things, and that he *hoped* one would be announced during the other. This doesn't end the possibility.

ubermetroid

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 01:21:23 am »
Well... That turned out to be a bust.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 06:55:56 pm »
As per my previous post -

Zippo only stated that the game would happen, and that there would be a Nintendo Direct this week. He merely expressed hope that one would be announced during the other.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 11:11:28 pm »
I'm kind of hyped for Super Mario RPG. I probably won't go out and buy a Switch just to play it, considering I still have both the original and the SNES Classic, but this looks to be a remake done right. Such a faithful recreation that I imagine this is what the game must have looked like on the original development hardware before the graphics were compressed to fit on a SNES cartridge.

As for the supposed Chrono Trigger remake, I'm not holding my breath (how many times have we been burned before?), but if it's true I really hope they aren't going with the Octopath Traveler art style as everyone is speculating. I enjoyed that game well enough but the 16-bit textures on 3D objects just looked like total ass. It would have looked much better with traditional 2D maps; the extra depth wasn't worth every environment being a blurry, grainy mess.

I would much rather a Chrono Trigger remake use whatever graphics engine the newer Dragonball games are using. Those mimic the Toriyama style perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:03:13 am by Razig »

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 04:51:14 pm »
...I would much rather a Chrono Trigger remake use whatever graphics engine the newer Dragonball games are using. Those mimic the Toriyama style perfectly.

I couldn't agree more. I do not love the HD/2D style with the ridiculous bloom and blur effects everywhere, and the awful stiff movement that comes with it.

That being said. This guy also said that Kid Icarus Uprising was getting a remake on June of last year. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rerisu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 07:44:03 pm »
A Nintendo Direct will happen soon, maybe, if the remake is real, it will be announced there?

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 05:15:13 pm »
A Nintendo Direct will happen soon, maybe, if the remake is real, it will be announced there?

One was announced for September 14, 2023, at 10:00am EST, FYI.

Rerisu

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 11:55:52 am »
Well.... i guess it was just a rumor.

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 11:18:43 pm »
We'll just have to wait and see. The leaker only said that it was in development, they didn't know when it was going to be announced.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:35:27 pm by sergecross73 »

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 02:25:33 pm »
if they can keep Square out of the remake that is

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 01:55:56 am »
I mean at this point, nearing the end of the Switch lifecycle, maybe we're looking at a Switch 2 release. Assuming this project is real that is, which I honestly don't think it is considering Zippo's track record, where's the Kid Icarus Uprising Switch re-release bro?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2023, 05:11:57 pm »
Who knows. I'm not holding my breath, but I can't imagine it will be graphically intensive for any platform unless it ends up being a from-the-ground remake.

It could by multi-platform for current-gen and next-gen.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 12:15:55 am »
What's the consensus on Super Mario RPG's soundtrack revamp? I don't think I kept a single tune from it. Somehow, they completely lost the rockabilly edge of "...And My Name Is Booster" with the choices. Between that and the Sonic Superstars debacle, it kind of leaves me worried, although I guess a CT remake would definitely feature Mitsuda coming back.