Author Topic: Chrono Break (99%) confirmed to have been used for Final Fantasy Dimensions II  (Read 1866 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Last year, I found a recently-abandoned Japanese Chrono site that archived links to Chrono series interviews. They had a link to this Another Eden interview with a note that Masato Kato discussed Chrono Break as part of it. Today, I was able to use OpenAI's Whisper tool to transcribe the Japanese, and sure enough, he talks about the game! By feeding the transcription into DeepL, it appears that:

• He started brainstorming ideas for a new Chrono game shortly after Cross's release around 2000, with the idea that it would be a PS2-era game.
  • It really is intended to be titled "Break", not "Brake", as he was imagining a story about time literally breaking somehow (DeepL says, "And the title was something like, 'That's when it all goes to shit.'")
  • Preproduction was in session around 2000/2001 (including the registration of the trademark).
  • Final Fantasy Dimensions II ended up recycling the main scenario of the story!

We'd already found an interview from Takashi Tokita where he mentioned, as machine-translated, that certain story details were reused this way for FFD2. But this interview sounds much more definitive, and DeepL is suggesting that the main story idea itself became the basis for the game. We've tried put together a summary of FFD2's story at this thread, but there's just hardly information available in English. You can already draw parallels between Lavos and FFD2's "flare"-type weapon raining fire from the heavens.

What we really need now is someone who understands spoken Japanese to translate this interview snippet! We'll be in our eternal debt. Anyone who's also familiar with FFD2's plot is encouraged to add details and reply to that thread as well. If you know someone who might be able to translate, I've excerpted the relevant part of the interview here: Masato Kato Discusses Chrono Break. Pass that link on!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 02:28:59 am by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Here's the Whisper transcription, if anyone else wants to parse it. It's very likely flawed, but got the job done enough to draw those conclusions:

ブレイク的なやつ いきなり
クロノブレイクの話を聞いて あの魔法師の.

いやもう一番気に入らない

トークテーマの一番 でもあるね

あーなるほどなるほど なるほど.

じゃあクロノブレイクについて ついて 言っちゃったからね

言っちゃったから話しましょう
これは多分ね全世界知らない話ですからね

知ってる人は知ってるんですか
知ってる人は知ってるんですか 勝てたとか知らないでしょ.

僕はあの中身っていうかどうなってたのかは全然知らなかったですね
なるほどなるほど え何知ってる はいあの商標で登録されてたこと.

あれでザワザワって.

このツケーニファン界隈ではザワザワして
ちょっと時瀬さんのインタビューで何度か あっそうね

言ってたもんね なるほど そちらで確認しました

で実はクロノ系をクロノブレイクっていうのを考えてた時期がありました
なるほど.

2000年ぐらいかな.

PS2の次ぐらいの世代 なるほど
クロノクロスが確か1999 8か9か 9です

9でしたっけ なるほど
でも2000年も越えてもうちょっとしたか2001年とかそれぐらいかもしれないですね なるほど.

思うにクロスを出したことで怒ったんじゃないかなって思った

結構切り込みましたね そういうこと言っちゃった
あれは成長続編じゃねえだろ 俺もクロノじゃねえぞ.

切れて俺のクロノはこれだっていうやつ
切れてないですよ いやー怪しいなそれは.

あれはでもパラレルワールドみたいな世界ですね はいはいはい

クロスですね
ブレイクはなんかじゃあ時がぶっ壊れる話とかだったらどうかなみたいな なるほど.

でちょっとプリプロやってたんですよ

プリプロっていうのは本開発する前の段階で
ちょっと企画を固めつつちょっとテスト版を作るぐらいまではやってたんですけど

結局いろいろちょっと人がこううまい具合に覚悟できなかったっていうのもあって.

殺さし仲間にシナリオをプロットみたいなの書いてたんですけど えー

で一応タイトルもその時がぶっ壊れるみたいな感じで
そういう風にして.

あのー醤油を取ってみよう取っておこうみたいな感じで取ったんですけど
それがだから兄ちゃんとかにこうガーって.

兄ちゃんでザワつかれて

相当でも当時ザワついてましたよね そうですね.

でしばらくそういう機会もなくて
でエニックスと合併してスクエニックスになったりとかっていう中で.

一応ファイナルファンタジーの先ほどのレジェンズ2.

時の水晶というのが

実はその時のプロットを元にして作ったお話で
なるほど そうなんですね.

じゃあ実際ジェイクは生きてたと.

あの違う形で 違う形で 日の目を見た なるほどなるほど

さっきのあの加藤さんのバテン怪盗じゃないですか

でもやっぱりそういうストックっていっぱいあるじゃないですか
その時できなくても

このコッシュは何かでやりたいなみたいなところが残ってると
意外にしぶとくこの業界で生きてるとまたやる機会がやってくる このタイミングならあれをやれる そうですね

で結構そういう期を待つとっていうのが あったりするので.

ここだっていうのでできたのがさっきのFFレジェンズ2 なるほど.

レジェンズ2をやるとブレイクの内容が味わえる
そうですねどういうことがクロノブレイクだったのかっていうのが

分かってもらえたので ぜひダウンロードしていただければ

ダウンロードしてください 今日の宣伝に.

sergecross73

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Interesting if that translation is accurate - I always interpreted Tokita's comments more as "we used some elements from "Break". This sounds more like they took the proposed premise of Break and reworked it into a mobile Final Fantasy game?

Makes me want to play it...though I can't say I'm excited about a $15 game for my phone...