Author Topic: Should I play FF7?  (Read 23328 times)

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2005, 10:19:46 am »
I haven't played Fire Emblem yet...I should.

I haven't played any of the Shining Force games after II (well, III a bit; I need to finish that), but the story in II was amazing to me. I've never had so much playing a game. Plus the music was awesome. The first one was more beginner (though maybe harder, admittedly) to me...it just didn't have as much substance and story/dialogue.

God, Genesis had some of the best RPGs. The Phantasy Stars were amazing, and Landstalker has gotta be one of the best games ever. *sigh* Nostalgia comes in pints, these days.

jthomp1286

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2005, 10:22:36 am »
Yes you should play FFVII, I also think you should play FFVIII, both are really great games with really great story lines.

Quote from: Mystik3eb
I haven't played Fire Emblem yet...I should.

Yes you should, go play it now...NOW! :-p

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2005, 03:26:46 pm »
If you're looking for something fun on the GBA, I suggest the Golden Sun series. The FE series is great too.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2005, 04:14:30 pm »
FE?

I started Golden Sun, but just couldn't get into it...the GBA has given far too few good games for my taste, at least to spend money on. I'm having the same feelings for the DS. I dunno, the whole handheld thing feels like more of an insult to video gaming than a new way to play games.

I guess I haven't owned a GBA SP, so I can't really be too pessimistic. My biggest problem with the GBA (besides sucky library) was its lack of backlighting, making it virtually impossible to see the games being played. With the introduction of backlighting, I decided it wouldn't be so bad.

I tried playing a DS, I really did. I hated it, it was too hard to move around with that stupid touch-sensitive pad, arg.

People say it's nice to have a game to travel with. I say read a book =p

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2005, 06:04:10 pm »
Hmm...not liking Golden Sun much, eh? Well, I found it positively orga-addictive when I played through, but to each his own. It does get interesting and in my opinion, "better," as it progresses, so don't give up yet.

(FE = Fire Emblem, for those budgeting time off of a school computer >_>.)

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2005, 06:18:01 pm »
Quote from: Kazuki
Hmm...not liking Golden Sun much, eh? Well, I found it positively orga-addictive when I played through, but to each his own. It does get interesting and in my opinion, "better," as it progresses, so don't give up yet.

(FE = Fire Emblem, for those budgeting time off of a school computer >_>.)

Oh...durr...>_<

No, I've heard tons of good things about both, so I really should play them both again, and I will when I get sick of the Chrono games (I haven't played either in about a year, and now that I started both again AND found the Compendium all within a week of each other...my obsession has only grown on itself).

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2005, 09:11:00 pm »
Fire Emblem is good.  If you are able to someway find a Fire Emblem 6 rom (I will not help you find one), I can direct you to a translation patch for it.  BTW, mods, the translation is not illegal to have, the ROM is.  >(

FE6 was the only with Roy in it, and so far, its my favorite.

And see what I mean about FF8 being a love it or hate it game?  It still sucks, so don't believe those guys trying to trick you :)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #202 on: October 26, 2005, 05:52:34 am »
The new fire emblem looks sweet. I was never for portable gaming, yet the psp looks good. If you have seen some of the guys in my class, you would hate it as well. They play it all the time, they are those that play during class, and those that play magic cards all the time at lunch, and those that only venture outside to play handball (not european type) and never play out school competition sport thing, but just play softball so they can play their computer games all day on saturday while we are sweating it out on the field. *pants* yes, well...snes for me ^_^

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2005, 06:03:35 am »
I think the GBA has a great lineup...especially RPGs...

Advance Wars (I hear good things but have yet to play)
Ports of BoF 1 & 2
FF: DoS
FFTA
2 FE games
Golden Sun
KH: CoM (if that's your thing...>_>)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Lufia: The Ruins of Lore
Lunar Legend (for those of us who didn't catch Silver Star on PSX)
Pokemon: Fire Red & Leaf Green
Pokemon: Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald
Riviera: The Promised Land
Sword of Mana

That's not including all of the other great remakes and ports of older games like River City Ransom, R-Type III, The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past & Four Swords and Metroid. Then there's Metroid: Fusion and all of the Megaman games (two series: Battle Network & Zero).

AND it can play all of the previous Gameboy games and their many incarnations. That's one pretty kick ass handheld.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2005, 06:06:03 am »
It is, but i just dont want to get "too" involved. Plus, i like stuff BIG! I was playing ff tactics on me friends gameboy, after i played it on pc, and i was like, woah, what the hell?!

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2005, 02:01:15 pm »
I won't play portable games unless it's on the computer with a much bigger screen. I agree, I like my games big.

I've never had any desire to own a portable system. Ever. The only time I really really wanted one was when my uncle let me play Link's Awakening...oh god, did that game make me excited.

...well...that and Wario Land.

The BoF remakes aren't as good as the originals.

I tried Advance Wars, it was boring.

You'd have a tough time getting me to play any handheld FF after the Legends games, especially these FFs that aren't even made by the same people.

I already disliked the original Tactics, I'm not sure why I'd like it's remake...

I'm trying to get into Golden Suns and FE, I'll get back to you on those.

Yeah, KH doesn't look good to me at all.

The Minish Cap was an excellent game, a typical Zelda, I'll give you that.

I haven't played Lufia yet, hell I didn't even know it existed. I had a hard time getting into the first Lufia on SNES but I breezed through the second one, it was so fun.

I loved Lunar on PSX, but I wouldn't trade the big screen for the small/worse graphics any day.

I. Hate. Pokemon.

What the hell is Riviera?

I need to play Sword of Mana. Anything Mana in my mind needs to be played, lol.

The only remake I played that was worth it was the Metroid one, that remake was amazing. Both Metroids were amazing, but I wouldn't wanna play them on a tiny portable =p I got sick of Mega Man games a long long time ago. The Mario games are nothing new, the Sonic games just aren't as good as the originals, and I couldn't get into the Mario RPG game. Had potential, but graphic-wise it was hideous, the gameplay wasn't phenomenal, the music was sub-par, and I couldn't get into it enough to get into the story at all. Bleh.

I'm with BZ, I'm a SNES boy.

And I refuse to give in to your claims, Sentenal! I shall fight this fight to the bitter end! Hah!

But seriously, I hate almost all FPSs, doesn't mean they're necessarily bad games. I just hate them. Alot. Same with fighting games and racing games.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2005, 02:46:26 pm »

But they weren't remakes...they were ports...>_>

You'd have a tough time getting me to play any handheld FF after the Legends games, especially these FFs that aren't even made by the same people.

How very close-minded of you. Plus, the Legend games weren't FFs they are a part of the SaGa series (better than SaGa Frontier at least! :P).

If you liked Rise of the Sinistrals, you'll like Ruins of Lore. The dungeon's back even!

I think that the Pokemon games are very decent RPGs. I honestly don't understand any hate towards the game. Dislike I could see...but hate? The only bad thing I've found is that they're addicting and a little difficult...But I guess it depends on how you play...and which series of them you play...

A really great, innovative lil RPG from Atlus (the company that published the Tactics Ogre series and the Shin Megami Tensei series [minus the first two Namco games which were based on books] and recently the game Disgaea) that seems to have flown under the radar for no good reason at all...

Here's a pretty good description of Riviera

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2005, 03:40:50 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka

But they weren't remakes...they were ports...>_>

...oh...right, sorry. That's what I meant, then o_O I have no reason to want a port if I can play the original, especially when they did little to nothing to change and improve them.

If you liked Rise of the Sinistrals, you'll like Ruins of Lore. The dungeon's back even!

I didn't really care for those kinda dungeons, but I did love that game, so I'll definetely try it out.

I think that the Pokemon games are very decent RPGs. I honestly don't understand any hate towards the game. Dislike I could see...but hate? The only bad thing I've found is that they're addicting and a little difficult...But I guess it depends on how you play...and which series of them you play...

I disliked Pokemon. I played the games before they became popular, and I already didn't like them. They've always been an insult to the genre in my opinion. Then the hype began, and my hatred was born. I've since tried them again, with help, even, from a friend who is sadly very much into it, and I still found nothing worth enjoying about it. The only sense it has of 'RPG' is leveling up and having a world to travel around; yes, some Pokemon gain abilities that let you travel around easier and get past certain points similar to Zelda, but...no, a real RPG needs deep plot and character development. Pokemon has neither to any extent.

A really great, innovative lil RPG from Atlus (the company that published the Tactics Ogre series and the Shin Megami Tensei series [minus the first two Namco games which were based on books] and recently the game Disgaea) that seems to have flown under the radar for no good reason at all...

Here's a pretty good description of Riviera

I didn't like Tactics Ogre. I'm not a fan of those games. So if you're saying this is kinda like Ogre Battle or whatever, then...I'll pass.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2005, 03:57:13 pm »
No, it's not an SRPG...Those are just some other titles that Atlus has published...I was mentioning them in case people were unfamiliar w/Atlus (which seems rediculous to me, but I was born in a generation that was still infatuated w/the arcade at least somewhat). So no, it's not like Tactics Ogre...As a matter of fact, some of Riviera's features are unlike any RPG I've ever played...

And man, seriously, you come off very close-minded...Don't tell me you're one of those whakky Earthbound haters too! :(

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2005, 04:04:59 pm »
Actually, Earthbound is one of my favorite games of all time. But I suppose I'll try Riviera now, too.

I'm not all that closedminded, it just takes alot in a game to get me interested.