Author Topic: Should I play FF7?  (Read 23331 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2005, 07:06:27 am »
They arent great, i just stated it because we had to watch it for english  :shock:

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2005, 11:48:07 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Quote from: Anyone In The Entire World Who Ever Says This
Well, that's opinion.

This is byfar one of the stupidest and most redundant things a person can say, with the slight exception of someone pointing out that it's stupid and redundant. Pet peeve. :wink:

...er...ok. Sure.

Quote from: Mystik3eb
Seriously, everyone knows people like the characters in FF8 in real life.

I don't know anyone as annoying as Selphie or Zell nor do I know anyone as hollow as Irvine (much less most of the cast itself)...Different circles I guess?

I could name someone similar to each character in FF8 that I know personally. Different circle? Yeah, I suppose so.

The Junction System is near outlandishly easy. It requires minimal thought to become godlike in power. Personally, I don't see this as a bad thing, but I can obviously see how people could. I mean, Drawing becomes boring, but it's no different than the leveling up in other RPGs. Not every godly Materia combination in FFVII was obvious, much less as easy to get as Drawing Magic in VIII...But I always saw the Materia system as an obsolete, inpersonal, Esper system myself...

The Esper system is bar none my favorite =)

The thing I liked bout the the Junction system is...the games explanations, tutorials and everything, didn't help me for shit. I still didn't understand what the hell they were talking about, and didn't figure out what the hell Junctioning even was. At some point, I finally figured it out, on my own it seemed, and maybe that made the Junctioning system special to me because I felt so smart...lol, I dunno.

But anyway, the "opinion" comment may rub you the wrong way, but I need to clarify that that truly is the case when he's blatantly stating that something is a fact when it's really not.

Can I tell you, I used to absolutely hate FF7 in the worst way? To me, everything about it was flawed, fake and weak. And I told everyone it was a fact and they were simply enjoying their first experience of an RPG, and didn't know anything about what constituted a good game. I realized after a while that I was going around saying that crap only because I was sick and tired of seeing all the major support for FF7 and no other good RPGs. I always get sick of tired of things that get tons of hype. Well, almost. I still love Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings =p But anyway, I realized that I fell into my weakness of going against the overwhelming majority so I could, per say, "stand out" for whatever reason, who knows. I played the game again, still hated the graphics and music, but realized how much I loved the story and most the gameplay, and since then I've realized the difference between opinion and fact.

Ok ok, so are there any truly bad games out there that I like? Personally, no. I'm picky about the games I like, though. I guess I have to admit I did like Boogerman, Bubsy, and some other terrible platformers when I was young, but nowadays I don't play games that aren't good quality.

The reason I bring up this whole "even if you don't like it, that doesn't mean it's bad" thing is because I'm sure you can tell the difference between a well-made game and a shitty game that doesn't deserve a second glance. Then there's a difference between how good a game is and how much you like it. I'm sure Halo truly is the best FPS out there, and one of the greatest games ever made. In my opinion, it's only half as great as one of my least favorite RPGs.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder.

(And yes, V_T, I did say that just to piss you off :wink: )

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2005, 03:56:21 pm »
Ok ok, so are there any truly bad games out there that I like?

Yes.  FF8.

All of my points agianst FF8 are legitamate, and you pin the characters as being more "real".  I'm with V_T.  I don't know anyone as obnoxious as Zell or Selphie.  And I sure as hell wouldn't like them.  Same with people like most of the FF8 characters.  Personality disorders != Good characters.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2005, 04:13:53 pm »
My siblings are perfect examples. Except my siblings don't have good qualities to balance it out, unfortunetely, like Zell and Selphie do.

*sigh* Anyway, as far as the junction system goes, this is a stupid argument. I find it well balanced, you find it both too powerful and too costly at the same time. There is no point arguing over opinion.

In either case, you sound like someone who hated Secret of Evermore. I don't understand those people.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2005, 04:20:09 pm »
I loved Secret of Evermore.  Much, much different than FF8.  Its battle system was close to Secret of Mana, which is good, and (unlike FF8), you have to use "magic", your Alchemy.  My only grip with it is the storyline, which didn't seem to stand out much.

One of the bad things about Secret of Evermore is that it prevented a US release of Secret of Mana 2.  Square didn't want to have two competing RPGs being released close to each other in America.  And they chose Evermore.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2005, 04:25:22 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
I loved Secret of Evermore.  Much, much different than FF8.  Its battle system was close to Secret of Mana, which is good, and (unlike FF8), you have to use "magic", your Alchemy.  My only grip with it is the storyline, which didn't seem to stand out much.

One of the bad things about Secret of Evermore is that it prevented a US release of Secret of Mana 2.  Square didn't want to have two competing RPGs being released close to each other in America.  And they chose Evermore.

Yeah, I just read about that. It's a bummer, but honestly I enjoyed SoE much more than SD3 for whatever reason. I got about halfway through SD3 and just wasn't into it anymore.

Actually SoE's story captivated me more than SoMs did. SoM was...I dunno. I can't explain why, but for whatever reason I got way more into Evermores *shrug*

But I'm glad to hear you have good taste in games. For the most part ;)

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2005, 04:40:27 pm »
It just proves that I'm objective about RPGs.  RPGs that deserve credit, I give it to them.  RPGs that don't, I don't give them any credit.  FF8 doesn't deserve it.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2005, 04:50:35 pm »
It just proves that I'm objective about RPGs.  RPGs that deserve credit, I give it to them.  RPGs that don't, I don't give them any credit.  FF8 doesn't deserve it.

Hey, they worked their asses off and spent a LONG time on that game, they deserve at least some credit, especially the entire graphics department.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2005, 04:51:37 pm »
Okay, fine.  It looks good for a PS1 game.  They should have spend more time on gameplay and story.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2005, 09:34:37 pm »

Hey, they worked their asses off and spent a LONG time on that game, they deserve at least some credit, especially the entire graphics department.

And because of that, Disc 2 of Xenogears was unfinished.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2005, 09:42:15 pm »
Quote from: nightmare975

Uhm...I dunno about that. I don't think it was ever said by them why Disc 2 was the way it was.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2005, 09:45:16 pm »

Uhm...I dunno about that. I don't think it was ever said by them why Disc 2 was the way it was.

They took most of the budget from Xenogears and put it towards FF8

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2005, 09:56:07 pm »

Well, it was either that or Disc 2 really was meant to be the way it was...*shrug*...I dunno.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2005, 10:03:57 pm »

Well, it was either that or Disc 2 really was meant to be the way it was...*shrug*...I dunno.

Read this to get the full story.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Should I play FF7?
« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2005, 10:29:52 pm »
Yeah, it was only a rumor.