Author Topic: More Cross ruminations  (Read 5535 times)

evirus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: More Cross ruminations
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 01:38:55 pm »
my only problem with chrono cross is the element grid, its all fine and dandy but when you get to the end of the game and want to re-arrange your elements and what not, theres just so many spaces that it becomes too much of a chore

Celesti

• Z - Defunct - Guru of Guinness
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • Drowning In Cliches
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 07:20:46 am »
Wow, what to say on this topic that hasn't been already very eloquantly said already.

Chrono Chross was a great game, pure and simple.  The graphics were very nice for the time, the music is gorgeous and the plot is complelling and dramatic.

That being said however, I did have a few qualms with it.  Mainly the plot, while good, was far far to convoluted.  At the time when I played it, I was 16 and considered myself pretty intelligent for my age.  Then, when I got 2/3 through Chrono Cross, I was at a complete loss.  I had no idea what was going on anymore. How was Lynx Serge's father? Why did Dinopolis get dragged from one reality to the other and then started battling Chronopolis at a random time in history? What the heck does the Frozen Flame have to do with any of this? And how was I supposed to freakin' guess that I had to cast all of the elements in the proper "melodic order" in order to get the "real" ending without a game manual?

This game literally lowered my intelligance self-esteem during that year of my life.  Over the years, I have replayed Chrono Cross, looked up various wikipedia articles about it, and researched on sites much like this one.  I now have a mostly comprehensive understanding of the plot, and of something else as well. I'm not the only one this happend to!  I'm not the only one that this plot totally perplexed and frustrated.  As mentioned in another Cross article on this site, it was the pacing that went completely wrong. Far too much complicated information presented all at once to the gamer, with no chance given to comprehend any of it.

Thats my real complaint about it. Well that and...

Take for instance, the female friend of Serge near the beginning of the game - I forgot her name because it's been a few years now - she REALLY got on my nerves!

Leena (thats her name btw) was pretty annoying. Serge could have done waaaaaaaaay better.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 09:26:20 am »
my only problem with chrono cross is the element grid, its all fine and dandy but when you get to the end of the game and want to re-arrange your elements and what not, theres just so many spaces that it becomes too much of a chore

Yes, I hate having to rearrange my best Elements between my party members... I just take the lazy option and choose 'Auto Assign' (or whatever y'call it) everytime now.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 09:29:10 am »
Auto assign was the worst thing you could do, all those damn traps weren't needed in most fight. I liked the idea of elements, and I liked exchanging them/at least I do now, because it opens so many different ways to fight:
E.G.Fight Dario:
- with white Elements + Mag Negata(he counters with ConductaRod, Black);
- Use buffers like strength, eagle eye, nimble and fight him physically(no counter);
- None attackers weaken him with elements, and the main attacker just keeps bashing(counters with numble, weaken, bad eye, low res etc.);
- Physical only + healing(no counter)

Just a few, and there are still another few if you use the equipment.

See what I mean? For every different tactic you need to have your element grid prepared, and since I fight him as soon as possible, I don't have a Blackmail(no fun away anyways). That's what I liked.

Otherewise my grids always looked like this:
First 3: min. 2 Revive + 2 of each Element color each char + Healing(summons, baby!), the last were summons + Strongest Innate attacks, and the rest was filled with highleveld things like FreeFall, Holylight, Carnivore, Deluge, Inferno, Earthquake etc.., min 1 of each, and rest were either buffers or more highleveld elements.

Rydis

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2006, 01:57:30 pm »
I played Chrono Trigger before I played Cross and I prefer Cross to Trigger.  Both great games, but I am also a person who prefer FF8 to FF7, so I get hated for that so but whatever.  I also played Xenogears after I played Cross and I much liked Cross's battle system over Xenogears.

I honestly couldn't tell you why I like Cross better then trigger, but I always find myself bored and tired when playing Trigger and always fun when playing Cross (still never got all endings on either...not even 4 of em).  I guess I just like the overall atmosphere of Cross to trigger.