Author Topic: Final Fantasy 6 vs. Star Wars  (Read 2168 times)

warriorsam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy 6 vs. Star Wars
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
So, at the height of all the Star Wars Episode 3 hype a couple months ago, I put together a list of similarities between Final Fantasy 6 and the original Star Wars trilogy. I'm not sure what I was trying to prove at the time, but, anyway, I thought you guys might enjoy it, as fellow enthusiasts of the SNES era of RPGs (who I'm guessing have probably seen Star Wars). Let me know if there's anything you would add. :)

STAR WARS IV-VI vs. FINAL FANTASY VI

- They both open with several paragraphs of exposition.

- In both, it's explained that, long ago, a war was fought (the War of the Magi : the Clone Wars) after which some magical force (magic : the Force) became more myth than reality.

- In both, there's an empire called "The Empire" seeking out a group of rebels called "The Rebels."

- Final Fantasy 3 opens with two imperial soldiers named Biggs and Wedge. In Star Wars, Luke's wingmen during the attack on the Death Star are Biggs and Wedge.

- There are characters who speak entirely in grunts, groans, and strange noises who everyone understands for some reason anyway. (moogles, Gau : Chewie, R2D2, the guy with the big head in Jedi)

- The protagonist (Terra : Luke) doesn't know but will eventually discover her/his troubled lineage, as she/he comes to terms with her/his own powers that nobody else understands.

- There's an emperor (Gestahl : Palpatine) with a first officer (Kefka : Darth Vader) who secretly wants to overthrow him, and has a trademark sound effect. (Kefka laughing : Vader breathing)

- The protagonist's most trusted companion is a womanizing bounty hunter with an arguably more interesting personality. (Locke : Han Solo)

- There's an old guy with a beard who knows everything but dies of his own accord to become more powerful (a dead version of being powerful). (Obi-Wan : Ramuh)

- The Empire has a Death Star, from which they fire a laser to destroy individual planets. Kefka has a tower from which he fires a laser to destroy towns. Both Death Star and Kefka's tower fall apart when the last boss dies, leaving the protagonist(s) to escape daringly. Both movie and game have bittersweetly understated endings.

- The guy with the ship (Han Solo, the Millennium Falcon : Setzer, the Blackjack and later the Falcon) is a womanizer involved in shady dealings, with a price on his head.

- There's a skirmish in a big ice place. (Narshe : Hoth) There's a sasquatch. (Umaro : a sasquatch)

- There's a faceless bounty hunter with only a couple lines who has an angry cult fan base in real life. (Boba Fett : Shadow)

- The one with arguably the most wisdom is small, funny-looking, found in isolation, has a speech impediment. (Yoda, talking backwards : Mog, ending every sentence with "kupo!")

- A huge turning point leaves everything Poops McGee. (the fall of the Republic, Lucas's excuse for why technology turns to crap after Episode 3 : the cataclysm, which transforms the face of the planet, leaving everything a hideous purple and orange)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:59:09 am »
Meh, besides the fact that Biggs & Wedge make their first appearance in VI, I always thought IV was the Final Fantasy Star Wars...

- They both open with several paragraphs of exposition.

There aren't many FFs that don't/didn't.

- There are characters who speak entirely in grunts, groans, and strange noises who everyone understands for some reason anyway. (moogles, Gau : Chewie, R2D2, the guy with the big head in Jedi)

All moogles/moglies speak in Kupos, but Mog, who speaks the human tongue. Gau is just...well, he was raised by monsters...wadda ya gonna do? He's just a kid who don't speak too well. Only C3P0 seems to understand R2D2 as I recall...and that's because C3 1) is a fellow robot or 2) is a language expert.

- There's an emperor (Gestahl : Palpatine) with a first officer (Kefka : Darth Vader) who secretly wants to overthrow him, and has a trademark sound effect. (Kefka laughing : Vader breathing)

Vader wanted to what? I don't remember that...I guess it's been a while...>_>

- The protagonist's most trusted companion is a womanizing bounty hunter with an arguably more interesting personality. (Locke : Han Solo)

I wouldn't say that Locke/Lock was Terra/Tina's most trusted companion (nor would I say that Han was Luke's), but he certainly wasn't a womanizer. He just saw similarities in Terra/Tina's situation & Rachel's. He felt responsible for Rachel's fate and thus felt a need to save women. If anyone was the womanizer, it was Edgar (of course).

- The guy with the ship (Han Solo, the Millennium Falcon : Setzer, the Blackjack and later the Falcon) is a womanizer involved in shady dealings, with a price on his head.

Again, I didn't really see Setzer as a womanizer either...And...he had a price on his head?

- There's a faceless bounty hunter with only a couple lines who has an angry cult fan base in real life. (Boba Fett : Shadow)

Boba has a face...It's seen in the prequal movies. Shadow is also though...in his dreams...>_> Which are like the prequals to FFVI! :lol:

- The one with arguably the most wisdom is small, funny-looking, found in isolation, has a speech impediment. (Yoda, talking backwards : Mog, ending every sentence with "kupo!")

Uh...that's quite the stretch...Comparing Mog to Yoda? I don't think so...

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 04:29:39 am »
Didn't I make a huge fucking post in this?

I guess not.  So anyway, here's a condensed version of what I remember.

~Biggs and Wedge shouldn't be counted as a similarity, since FF does it as an homage to Star Wars.
~Don't forget Necron's Yoda quote from IX.  Scared the shit out of me when I imagined Yoda saying it.
~Ultima Weapon bears a distinct resemblance to a lightsaber.
~The name Spira was used by Kyle Katarn in Jedi Outcast; possibly a reverse homage to Final Fantasy.
~Magiteks would get owned by walkers or other Star Wars ground vehicles.
~The power of a summon is roughly comparable to the heaviest of light shipboard weapons in Star Wars.  This is established from the Invincible's destruction of Alexandria and the assumption that a summon's power is roughly comparable.  The power of VII's Titan may be computed directly via scaling and simple equations of motion (namely, torque and/or kinetic energy, the latter of which requires integration.)  This can be used to compute a damage value for all summons and attacks in real units, except perhaps in cases where the damage is capped at 9999, such as with Ultima in VI and a mastered KOTR in VII.
~CLOUD BLOCKS BULLETS LOL

warriorsam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 05:32:06 am »
There aren't many FFs that don't/didn't.

Hmmm, I can only think of the three NES ones. (I wouldn't really count FF4 since it happens after the action's already started. And FFX's isn't quite the same kind of narrative.)

Yeah, he wanted Luke to join him so they could overthrow the emperor. "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son..."

Boba has a face...It's seen in the prequal movies. Shadow is also though...in his dreams...>_> Which are like the prequals to FFVI!

LOL :lol:

Uh...that's quite the stretch...Comparing Mog to Yoda? I don't think so...

Yeah, I'll admit, I just threw that one in to satisfy my own personal Mog quota, heh. The list was mostly put together in good fun, so I made a couple stretches on purpose. Oh, and "womanizer" probably wasn't a good word the couple times I used it -- maybe "pimp" would've been more accurate (or something else that can simultaneously mean "guy who attracts girl," "guy who wants to own girl," and "man with phat ride").

Hey, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on FF4 vs. Star Wars. I never really thought about it until now, except that the end credits always reminded me of Star Wars as a kid.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 06:40:37 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka

Vader wanted to overthrow Palpatine since Star Wars III. He told his wife:

"I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him, and together you and I can rule the galaxy."

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 03:25:09 pm »
V_T, never call Locke Lock, and never call Terra Tina agian.  Or death will come to you.  :)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 10:04:22 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
V_T, never call Locke Lock, and never call Terra Tina agian.  Or death will come to you.  :)

Are you aware that those names are their Japanese names? Trust me, I have the ROM

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 11:12:42 pm »
Yeah, because everything must keep its Japanese heritage, you know, despite that Woolsey's names were better than the Japanese names, which is arguably the only time you'll catch me saying that.

I mean, I can totally imagine an attractive pixel-woman with green hair being called Tina... If it didn't sound like she lived in a trailer park and had six kids, each with their own particular form of halitosis.

And a few of those are indeed a stretch, but an interesting thought.

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 11:14:31 pm »
Quote from: nightmare975

Are you aware that those names are their Japanese names? Trust me, I have the ROM

He most likely is aware of that fact, and also aware that the Square-translated names>the direct translations. </echoingExodus'point>

And almost anybody who's played the game has the rom version  :roll: .

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 12:11:21 am »
Quote from: Exodus
I mean, I can totally imagine an attractive pixel-woman being called Tina

Tina from DOA

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 12:15:03 am »
My point remains.

Especially after having a look at "Tina."

http://media.g4tv.com/images/imagedb2/331/33154_M.jpg

Born and raised in a mobile home, ya'll.

Seriously. She looks like every other white trash blonde you see dancing around a pole in a strip club.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 12:18:47 am »
Yeah but she can totally kick your ass. :lol:

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 12:20:38 am »
I'll be sure to remember that the day that video game characters hop out of our television screens.

I'd hate to have my ass kicked by an IMAGINARY WOMAN.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 12:38:26 am »
Most people who have played FF6 played it on the ROM?  Bullshit.  And even so, why the hell would the ROM of the English translated game have the Japanese names?  I've never touched that ROM, but I don't know why an english ROM would not have the english names.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 12:49:40 am »
Most people who have played FF6 played it on the ROM?  Bullshit.  And even so, why the hell would the ROM of the English translated game have the Japanese names?  I've never touched that ROM, but I don't know why an english ROM would not have the english names.

Because it is a Japanese ROM translated. I like that dialouge better in it.