Author Topic: Where is Magus?  (Read 9946 times)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005, 06:54:36 am »
Quote from: fxar99
There are some people in CT in 600AD and 1000AD with blue hair too..

What? Who?

Go and look at all the NPCs.

Janus was the one who used to hold back, but one of the three gurus said that his magic is more powerful than Schala's. So, they knew he was a powerful wizard. This means that they could actually know how strong magic somebody has. And surviving Lavos doesn't mean more than defeating it. :D

Umm yeah it does. Someone who can survive 13,000 years with Lavos has a lot of will and physical power. Look at Queen Zeal. Mental corruption all the way.
Well, Only Melchior saw that Janus might be holding off his power, but how could he be using Schala and Zeal to get to Lavos, and why if he's so young? Could be a translation error.
BTW, having power and talent is two different things. You can have great power, and not know how to use it right. If Schala had limited power back then, she sure made the most of it and could compensate.
And lets not forget that it was Schala's power than Lavos drained to get enough power to kill the Dragon God and drain it's energy. He would have needed an equivilant power to steal the energy from the God. So it could be like Schala > Dragon God.

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005, 07:25:11 am »
Go and look at all the NPCs.

Holy ****! After all, the Enlightened ones didn't manage to look different from the other people...  :lol:

Umm yeah it does. Someone who can survive 13,000 years with Lavos has a lot of will and physical power. Look at Queen Zeal. Mental corruption all the way.
Well, Only Melchior saw that Janus might be holding off his power, but how could he be using Schala and Zeal to get to Lavos, and why if he's so young? Could be a translation error.
BTW, having power and talent is two different things. You can have great power, and not know how to use it right. If Schala had limited power back then, she sure made the most of it and could compensate.
And lets not forget that it was Schala's power than Lavos drained to get enough power to kill the Dragon God and drain it's energy. He would have needed an equivilant power to steal the energy from the God. So it could be like Schala > Dragon God.

Surviving Lavos still doesn't mean anything to me. Schala can be strong, yes. But this doesn't mean in any way that she's stronger than Magus. It could be like Magus > Schala > Dragon God and even Crono & co > Magus > Schala > Dragon God.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Where is Magus?
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 10:13:02 am »
I don't think we have enough to properly gauge Schala's "power level" or w/e...I mean, we don't know all of her magic (presumably) and we don't really fight her (not including the DoT).

But anyways, yeah, I think being in a place w/o real time (whether or not a huge, unnatural creature from space was draining you) would totally fug up your hair. I mean, would her hair grow? A lot of people's hair is affected by sunlight...So...maybe the DBT (damn, y'know, i've totally forgotten the acronymn for that place, is that right?) has a similar effect.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Where is Magus?
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005, 12:55:34 pm »
The end of CT seemed to hint strongly that Magus returned to 12000 BC to look for Schala.  Logic would suggest that he lived out the rest of his life searching in vain.  Too bad he couldn't of lasted until 7600 BC: the arrival of Chronopolis might have given him a fresh lead.

A popular theory (used to death in fanfiction) is that Magus used his magic to open new Gates to other times in the course of his search.  I'm not sure he could even do such a thing, or he would have simply retuned to Zeal after being dumped in the Middle Ages all those years ago.  Occam's Razor'seems to point to him dying without ever knowing Schala's final fate.

fxar99

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Oh how I wish to dream again...
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 02:09:11 pm »
Quote from: Silvercry
A popular theory (used to death in fanfiction) is that Magus used his magic to open new Gates to other times in the course of his search.  I'm not sure he could even do such a thing, or he would have simply retuned to Zeal after being dumped in the Middle Ages all those years ago.  Occam's Razor'seems to point to him dying without ever knowing Schala's final fate.

The gates of Chrono Trigger were probably opened by the Entity. Even if they weren't Lucca's gate to save her mother was certainly opened by the Entity, since there was nothing else in that moment relevant to the story. In the same way, the Entity might have opened a gate to Magus. This is very probable, since we know that Guile was actually planned to be Magus at first - Masato Kato did have an idea of Magus returning to 1000 AD.

But, this is not the case. If Serge or Wazuki is Magus' creation, he doesn't have to be in 1000 AD, although it is probable.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 04:44:02 pm »
Quote from: fxar99

The gates of Chrono Trigger were probably opened by the Entity. Even if they weren't Lucca's gate to save her mother was certainly opened by the Entity, since there was nothing else in that moment relevant to the story. In the same way, the Entity might have opened a gate to Magus. This is very probable, since we know that Guile was actually planned to be Magus at first - Masato Kato did have an idea of Magus returning to 1000 AD.

Considering that Belthasar was able to build a time travel machine, it is reasonable to assume Magus could duplicate the feat with magic.  I would compare it to the Lavos' summoning ritual.  Also take into account that in 600 AD, Magus was focused on destroying Lavos, not returning to Zeal.

Dyne

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://dyne.technoized.com
Where is Magus?
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2005, 05:44:05 pm »
The end of CT seemed to hint strongly that Magus returned to 12000 BC to look for Schala.  Logic would suggest that he lived out the rest of his life searching in vain.  Too bad he couldn't of lasted until 7600 BC: the arrival of Chronopolis might have given him a fresh lead.

I'm not sure if this happened or not, but didn't Magus, Ozzie, and the rest of his crew were seen at West Cape? If this was true, then Magus would've got Ozzie, Flea, and Slash go through a time gate into 12 000 BC.

Well... I think they were at West Cape... or it was somewhere in 600 AD. Not so sure...

But didn't Magus get sent back to 12 000 BC? Maybe he went to 600, but I doubt that if he was searching for Schala...

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 06:05:24 pm »
Um, no. Ozzie, Flea, and Slash to my knowledge never travelled outside of 600 A.D. ingame.

Magus got sent back to 12,000 B.C. when Lavos awoke in his palace and tossed Crono and crew to 65 million B.C. After that, you're sort of following Magus for the majority of the leftover plot in a roundabout way.

Zaperking

• View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2005, 07:22:54 pm »
Quote from: fxar99BTW
But this doesn't mean in any way that she's stronger than Magus. It could be like Magus > Schala > Dragon God and even Crono & co > Magus > Schala > Dragon God.

Nope. Magus owned their asses. The only reason why they won was because of the Masamune.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Where is Magus?
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
Quote from: fxar99BTW
But this doesn't mean in any way that she's stronger than Magus. It could be like Magus > Schala > Dragon God and even Crono & co > Magus > Schala > Dragon God.

Nope. Magus owned their asses. The only reason why they won was because of the Masamune.

Not true. Story-wise, maybe, except that Frog can kill Magus by himself if you try, even without the Masamune. Magus is powerful, but he's not all everyone cuts him out to be.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2005, 08:10:18 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman
Considering that Belthasar was able to build a time travel machine, it is reasonable to assume Magus could duplicate the feat with magic.  I would compare it to the Lavos' summoning ritual.  Also take into account that in 600 AD, Magus was focused on destroying Lavos, not returning to Zeal.

I don’t know about all that.  Sounds like pure speculation to me.  

I maintain that if Magus had the power/knowledge to open time gates, he would have spent his time and energy finding a way home over trying to kill Lavos.  If everything was taken from you, wouldn’t you first try to get it back?  And if that proves not to be an option, you can either accept it or seek revenge.  Acceptance is more mature, but revenge is just so much more satisfying.   :twisted:

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2005, 08:43:47 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman

I don’t know about all that.  Sounds like pure speculation to me.  

I maintain that if Magus had the power/knowledge to open time gates, he would have spent his time and energy finding a way home over trying to kill Lavos.  If everything was taken from you, wouldn’t you first try to get it back?  And if that proves not to be an option, you can either accept it or seek revenge.  Acceptance is more mature, but revenge is just so much more satisfying.   :twisted:

Magus is not after getting his past life back, hes after getting revenge.  Even when he WAS back in Zeal, thats all he cared about.  Your mindset may lead you to try and get back what you lost first, but Magus' is different.

And about the Schala vs Magus thing, I don't see where people get off saying Schala is more powerful than Magus.  Okay, she merged with Lavos to make the TD.  So what? Did you ever get a comparison between their strength?  Do you know what exactly Schala contributed to make the TD?  We know next to nothing about what Schala can do, and we know that Magus was said to be stronger than Queen Zeal and Schala.  Give some proof showing Schala to be stronger.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2005, 10:11:21 pm »
Ok, fine.  I’ll concede that point.  Still, I see no in-game evidence that Magus can open/create time gates.  It took enough effort on his part just to drag Lavos out of his pocket dimension, only to be knocked aside by the Giant Temporal Flyswatter of Doom (TM)  

This might sound like a stupid question, but are we sure Magus is even supposed to survive the events of CT, cannon-wise?  Lucca’s letter in CC seems to suggest she knows he’s still alive.  Yet in the PSX re-release of CT, there is no sign of him in the expanded ending.  Furthermore, Frog is shown in his human form (all thought you never see his face), which would only be attainable by Magus’ death.  

Now that I think about it, you don’t see Robo in the new ending either…

Zaperking

• View Profile
Where is Magus?
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2005, 10:55:51 pm »
Magus was probably reborn, like Schala was in RD. It'd be a good connector of things.

Quote from: Mystik3eb

Not true. Story-wise, maybe, except that Frog can kill Magus by himself if you try, even without the Masamune. Magus is powerful, but he's not all everyone cuts him out to be.

Nope. Magus would have easily destroyed Crono and co. at his lair. His only downfall was the Masamune. You actually think he's weak when you're comparing him to fighting 1 vs 3?
And besides that, Magus would only need to summon a black hole and Frog would go bye bye. Plot wise, Frog and Magus did not fight at the North Cape. Otherwise Lucca would not have wrote that letter, not Magus would have gone searching for Schala.

Dyne

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://dyne.technoized.com
Where is Magus?
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2005, 11:35:51 pm »
Quote from: Kazuki
Um, no. Ozzie, Flea, and Slash to my knowledge never travelled outside of 600 A.D. ingame.

Magus got sent back to 12,000 B.C. when Lavos awoke in his palace and tossed Crono and crew to 65 million B.C. After that, you're sort of following Magus for the majority of the leftover plot in a roundabout way.

I was kinda referring to one of the endings of the game. I'm probably wrong, but yeah, I think Magus and his gang were at West Cape in one of the endings.

But uh, someone probably said this, but maybe Maguc travelled through a time gate into 100X AD and then disguised himself as Magil to join the Radical Dreamers gang. And so, he was lastly found there... Or something. >_>; Yeaah.