Author Topic: Favorite Place in an RPG  (Read 27821 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Favorite Place in an RPG
« on: December 28, 2003, 01:50:55 am »
A similar thread was made on OCR quite some time ago. Do you have a favorite place in an RPG? Mine, of course, is Zeal; I'm in love with it, that paragon of enlightenment, beauty, tranquility...shining isles of verdant, emerald hills, golden-white edifices, and the azure skies of the heavens...ahh...Zeal...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Zeal's Nice...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 04:10:01 am »
My favorite place in any RPG is also Zeal. Imagine it, to stand atop the floating world and behold the planet below...a priceless gift wrapped in cloud, a shining jewel of unimpeachable value, a treasured home wrought of curiosity and meaning, a world caressed into a softly curving horizon so distant that not even the eye can reach it....to stand there and behold those sights from above, and to know that it is that world that gave rise to your people, who in turn created the floating world itself, and that you live there, in the capital of all human accomplishment, the masterpiece of sentient imagination, with halls decked and orchestras engaged, and that you know how to dance. Would you not feel tinier than the tiny in such a place? Would you not feel greater than the great in such a place?

But in addition to the Kingdom of Magic I should also like to add one other place in the worlds of RPGs where I find myself lingering whenever I should visit. It is the top of the pyramid in the Dark World in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Nowhere in any video game has a single image moved me so strongly as that time when Link stood atop the Golden Pyramid of the Triforce and beheld the tall mountains to the southwest, with Ganon's Tower crowning Death Peak, and all is silhouetted by the setting sun. No processor power and no generation of console can come closer than that beautiful, terrible image.

And, only because it needs to be said, the music in both Zeal and the Dark World helped immensely to develop the mood.

~ Josh

SILVERWOLF_87

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 07:27:31 pm »
how about the Sauron's Abode mod for morrowind? does that count?

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 01:05:27 am »
I, too, like a place from 12,000 B.C. in Chrono Trigger... However, it is not Zeal.

My favorite milieu is, in fact, North Cape.

The atmosphere just seems to hit a spot with me, no matter what my mood. I can watch that place and hear the black wind calling, be I upset or cheerful, and it pleases me. Be it the depressing gloom that is to be naturally felt, or the thought of that world being the new hope for the survival of the human race... or even the rage and confusion that Magus brought to it on occasion. And I always did love the wind.

One also can't beat ANY location in FF6 that Kefka graces his presence with. Uwee, hee, hee!

D_H_Magus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 05:28:58 am »
it's been a very long time so i can't recall names. but that town to the west of the school in the very beggining in ff8 is one of my favorite places in an rpg.

the beautiful music captivates me and sets the mood for such a peaceful little oceanside town. I can imagine walking up and down the cobblestone streets and brething in the fresh sea air.

outset island, from the newest installment in the zelda series, is another one of my favorite places in an rpg. mostly for the same reasons as the town stated above. I just love that type of peaceful atmosphere.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 10:32:31 am »
(D_H_Magus, I think you're speaking of Balamb)

Well, my fave place is the Dead Sea's Leene Square (Time Crash Ground Zero eh :wink: )...
the orange sky and the setting sun are really beautiful, and the writing on the Bell is quite... well sad, nostalgic, melancholic?

the only missing thing about this place is North Cape's wind...

chronotriggerfreak

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctf.sytes.net/
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 01:25:28 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
(D_H_Magus, I think you're speaking of Balamb)

Well, my fave place is the Dead Sea's Leene Square (Time Crash Ground Zero eh :wink: )...
the orange sky and the setting sun are really beautiful, and the writing on the Bell is quite... well sad, nostalgic, melancholic?

the only missing thing about this place is North Cape's wind...

The call of the black wind in a place such as that? Now that would be sweet.

I also just recalled a similar place that I cater to: Death Mountain. Although I don't like it as much as the North Cape, where the black wind's fury is constant, it is still quite a nice place. The best place, however,  is the summit from which you revive Crono. Just look at that byss, broken only by the single light, which is, at best, eclipsed! Of course, this only favors to me when I'm in darker moods, as I don't see the "silver lining" in that single covered light. So, it would appear I am in a dark mood at current...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 05:52:35 am »
Currently, after finally playing FFX, I've gotta say I've gotten a soft-spot for the Blitzball arena. It was just...more...fun then the game :\

Uh, I also like all the craziness of the rooms leading to Gogo in FFVI. I dunno why...

CHAOS

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://deimos.s5.com
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 10:23:22 pm »
In FFVII, Cosmo Canyon is a great place to visit every now and then.  Also, I love visiting Neotokio (not a typo) in Terranigma; before Asmodeus kills everyone in Neotokio, though. Loire is a great town in that game as well.

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doulifee.com
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 05:23:19 pm »
Mine is  Figaro Castle. the motorized castle that can move beneath the sand. i like the melt of old style (the castle) and the technology

Miss Tiger

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 03:27:35 am »
Oh, so many... I love Doma Castle in FFVI... The tragedy, the air of injured nobility... Lake Hylia in Zelda: OoT... Sunrises over it were so gorgeous... Frog's house in CT...The clearing in the forest of CT right after you saved the forest... And I've always had a tender spot in my heart for Magus' Castle.

And there's probably about fifty places I'm forgetting. Ah well.

OathoftheTimeTraveler

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ffexp.com
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 02:45:03 am »
I like the Zora Beach in LoZ: MM, Frog's House, Lucercia's Cave, Gizamaluke's Cavern, and too many others to think of.

Daredevil3181

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 12:23:23 pm »
Balamb Garden of FFVIII.  Not only is it a great center for learning and training, but it can also become mobile.  You never have a problem actually bringing your lessons to life when you can visit the place you are talking about in person.

ALFADOR=ENTITY60

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
beautiful.....just beautiful
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 12:12:46 am »
My favorite places in any RPG are the peaceful kind.  Frog's House is very peaceful.  If I was there I feel like I could just fall asleep right there in that bed.  Another place for me is Aeris' House off of Final Fantasy 7.  The flowers and music really make it for me.  The scores always have to be soft and beautiful for me to really like a place.  I know there was another place but I just can't think of it right now.  I'll get back to you on that later.  Now I'm going to bed.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Favorite Place in an RPG
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 01:22:25 am »
Quote from: Daredevil3181
Balamb Garden of FFVIII.  Not only is it a great center for learning and training, but it can also become mobile.  You never have a problem actually bringing your lessons to life when you can visit the place you are talking about in person.

Word.  I love Balamb Garden.