Author Topic: A New "Entity" Theory In Progress  (Read 16828 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
A New "Entity" Theory In Progress
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 07:37:34 am »
The Dragon God is crazy, it isn't in tune with the Planet and just wants to hate and destroy his enemies. The Demi-Humans are actually more in tune with the Planet. Razzly says something like the Planet is crying and just want everybody to live in harmony. In an ending, the Dragon God orders the Demi-Humans to goes on a genocide against humanity. The Dwarf Captain accepts because he's all war-like, but the Marbule Sage refuses. Even Schala in the good ending says big philosophical stuff about the Planet and all its living beings needing to live in harmony.

And according to Ultimania, Kato and co. precised some stuff in the American translation of the game that were not so clear in the Japanese version (like Belthasar having foreseen everything). The boss on Terra Tower being named "TimeDevourer" is probably one of those precisions.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 08:41:08 am »
Quote from: Chrono'99
The Dragon God is crazy, it isn't in tune with the Planet and just wants to hate and destroy his enemies. The Demi-Humans are actually more in tune with the Planet. Razzly says something like the Planet is crying and just want everybody to live in harmony. In an ending, the Dragon God orders the Demi-Humans to goes on a genocide against humanity. The Dwarf Captain accepts because he's all war-like, but the Marbule Sage refuses. Even Schala in the good ending says big philosophical stuff about the Planet and all its living beings needing to live in harmony.

And according to Ultimania, Kato and co. precised some stuff in the American translation of the game that were not so clear in the Japanese version (like Belthasar having foreseen everything). The boss on Terra Tower being named "TimeDevourer" is probably one of those precisions.

I don't think the dragon god is angry. Probably more revengeful at most.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 11:42:29 am »
Sentenal:

My 'evidence' was that the events are important, REGARDLESS of who the entity is. It would be important if it was the Gurus, it would be important if it was the Planet. Therefore, discard it.

It's impossible for me to discard that evidence.  You and I interpreted it differently, but it's the same evidence.  If I simply discard that, I lose my argument that there is significance to the Gurus being in the time periods they appear in.  I have also explained how it is possible that the timelines they don't reside in are still significant to them.  So you see, it's impossible for me to discard the evidence of the timelines.  The only difference is how you and I interpret it.  

But do you realize that its not possible for the Guru's to create that gate there, and change history to start their quest? Gates don't form for no reason.

Except, it could have been possible, and this is what I'm getting at with all the talk about the pendant.  The pendant at that point was not fully charged, but it was once charged with the power of Lavos, who can make gates.  The telepod provided some interraction that allowed the gate at the fairgrounds to form.  Combine that with Melchior's quote that you and I argued about earlier, and we have a possibility the Gurus at least knew what was going to happen.  And if they knew what was going to happen, that opens up for more discussion as to how involved they could have been.  

Listen, I asked a question. I asked to explain why he would still go insane, and you dodged it.

Except, I didn't dodge it, hence, my frustration and confusion at your response to my repsonse.  If you can't take the reasoning I gave as an answer to your question, then your question may not be able to be answered.  

V_Translanka:

Because I assumed that you would not be able to counter that...You're not the first person to make an Entity arguement after all (there are still nutbags at GameFAQs who still spout on about Alfador...whether they're joking or not...it's no longer funny...if it ever was...).

Next time consider the site you are on - this is supposed to be a credible Chrono series site, and if I am not mistaken, I posted in the analysis and theory forums, where serious thought is supposed to occur.  

And, as I read, you haven't. Nothing you say makes it so that it's the Gurus who are dying or reliving their memories. Thus, teh Entity...not the Gurus. So, yes, it was addressed, but there was no good supporting evidence for your Guru cause there that I read.

Yes, I have addressed this in a proper manner.  What you read, however, was not what you wanted to hear, and what you did read is that there is the chance that the speculation (which is what it was) made by Robo, Frog, etc... during the campfire scene may not have been exactly the analogies they made to try to understand the existence of some "Entity" figure that wanted them to see everything that happened and caused or guided the events of Chrono Trigger.  I provided a case where it may have appeared that this "Entity" was reliving its life, or in other words, how it could have appeared to the heroes that the planet was this "Entity", but in reality it may not have been.  What you were looking for was "The Gurus were reliving, X,Y, and Z" and that's not what I gave.  You have to be open to other possibilities - things are not always as clear-cut as they look.

Zaperking:

The Planet is almost God-like in CC.

I've played through CC a few times by now, and I never thought the planet was God-like.  If you are talking about pullling Dinopolis from another dimension to balance out Chronopolis being pulled back through time, this could be explained by Newton's Third Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Dinopolis being pulled through from its dimension into the timeline Chronopolis got pulled back through may have been simply physics happening in a really messed up manner.  If I missed quotes from CC (other than the Dragon God saying the planet hated mankind - it could be up for debate as to how the Dragon God knew this or if it was simply expressing its own opinion and thought it was acting for the planet by wanting to wipe it clean of humans) or if Kato specifically said something, please inform me.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 05:39:26 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
The Planet is a God-Like entity in CC.  Its possible for it to create gates.  Lavos is a God-like entity.  It does create gates.  When do we see the Guru's with the power to create gates at a place where they are no currently at (Melchior was not at the telepod)?  There is no such instance.  We see the Gurus as men.  Mortals.

As DBoruta has said many many times, yet Balthasar made the Epoch. And as Zaper said, Crono and them are mortals too. The Gurus are the humans I give most credit to be able to open a gate somehow, aside from Magus.

An act?  Yeah, thats likely.

Balthasar's a known liar. Look at CC.

And with all the quotes from the campfire scene...it's all speculation anyway. Little of what they discuss are results from hard evidence, including this possibility of the Entity reliving it's past. That's just an idea, not cold hard fact. I'm saying I'm personally willing to say that idea is possibly wrong.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2005, 06:10:36 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
No, Azala said "could have heavens have truely sided with the apes?". Not the planet. The planet never sided with them, it was thanks to Lavos that the reptites died. The Planet probably adapted to them, but still hated them in a way. I mean, really, the Lunar Dragon has no other objective but to take revenge on behalf of the Planet.

BTW, the Lunar Dragon isn't the TD in disguise. The TD is in the DBT. The Dragon God and Harle's combination secured a spot in the dimension. I thought that Harle herself was going to use the flame to bring back their body. But Harle is real, even if the Dragon God is not. Her combination and their's should have reproduced the body back anyway.

Funny that you should use Lunar Dragon and then spot Azala's Woosley'd speach. :P It's been said that in the Japanese version Azala talks more about the planet than anything else.

Oh, and about that whole "Planet is angry based on the actions of the dragons" thing...Firstly, the dragons are not the planet. Azala thought that the Reptites were the chosen, but that does not mean that they were. Secondly, weren't the dragons corrupted by the Frozen Flame or something?

Quote from: DBoruta
Yes, I have addressed this in a proper manner. What you read, however, was not what you wanted to hear, and what you did read is that there is the chance that the speculation (which is what it was) made by Robo, Frog, etc... during the campfire scene may not have been exactly the analogies they made to try to understand the existence of some "Entity" figure that wanted them to see everything that happened and caused or guided the events of Chrono Trigger. I provided a case where it may have appeared that this "Entity" was reliving its life, or in other words, how it could have appeared to the heroes that the planet was this "Entity", but in reality it may not have been. What you were looking for was "The Gurus were reliving, X,Y, and Z" and that's not what I gave. You have to be open to other possibilities - things are not always as clear-cut as they look.

Okay then, let me sum it up: I'm kind of disregarding your speculative theory because you're disregarding in-game evidence as speculative theory. It's a whakky world we live in. No hard feelings.

And on a side-note:

[*quote="person_you're_quoting"]what_they_said[/quote]

There's the quote tag for quoting specific people, just take out the *.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 06:44:24 pm »
*Points at Crono and co* They're mortals... But there's obviously a reason why they survived their encounter.

...  Crono and co. can't create Gates.

And yes, The Planet is almost God-like in CC. As for CT, it is not. Though, I think there is a difference between the planet in CT and the one in CC. Which makes me think that it may be the entity of the planet in CT, and the planet as in the living force itself in CC. I mean, the planet seemed sensible and nice to humans, and all of a sudden it hates them after they saved it. No good bastard.

In CT, the planet (if its the Entity) is dieing because of Lavos.  Its not in CC.

It's impossible for me to discard that evidence. You and I interpreted it differently, but it's the same evidence. If I simply discard that, I lose my argument that there is significance to the Gurus being in the time periods they appear in. I have also explained how it is possible that the timelines they don't reside in are still significant to them. So you see, it's impossible for me to discard the evidence of the timelines. The only difference is how you and I interpret it.

Then you disagree that everyone of those time periods would be imporant if the Planet was the entity?

Except, it could have been possible, and this is what I'm getting at with all the talk about the pendant. The pendant at that point was not fully charged, but it was once charged with the power of Lavos, who can make gates. The telepod provided some interraction that allowed the gate at the fairgrounds to form. Combine that with Melchior's quote that you and I argued about earlier, and we have a possibility the Gurus at least knew what was going to happen. And if they knew what was going to happen, that opens up for more discussion as to how involved they could have been.

Then explain why the Gate would not have opened in the original timeline, if the pendant created it.  Remmeber, they didn't time travel in the original one...

I've played through CC a few times by now, and I never thought the planet was God-like. If you are talking about pullling Dinopolis from another dimension to balance out Chronopolis being pulled back through time, this could be explained by Newton's Third Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Dinopolis being pulled through from its dimension into the timeline Chronopolis got pulled back through may have been simply physics happening in a really messed up manner. If I missed quotes from CC (other than the Dragon God saying the planet hated mankind - it could be up for debate as to how the Dragon God knew this or if it was simply expressing its own opinion and thought it was acting for the planet by wanting to wipe it clean of humans) or if Kato specifically said something, please inform me.

Thats an... interesting take on Dinopolis being pulled back.  Its only theorized that it was the Planet pulled Dinopolis back in the game.  However, I don't think thats quite how Newton's Third Law works.  The equal and opposite reaction of Chronopolis being pulled back would be Chronopolis appearing in the past.  For example, if I move my right arm, Newton's Third Law doesn't say my left arm must move in the opposite direction, if that makes any sense.   Then again, I'm not a physics major.

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2005, 06:56:26 pm »
Not to mention that Dinopolis's appearance isn't equal. Chronopolis only crossed time. Dinopolis crossed time AND SPACE.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005, 07:40:59 pm »
Plus Dinopolis was apparently weaker than Chronopolis, so it's even more so weaker. Interesting idea.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 09:08:24 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Okay then, let me sum it up: I'm kind of disregarding your speculative theory because you're disregarding in-game evidence as speculative theory. It's a whakky world we live in. No hard feelings.

Here's the problem with your reasoning - what you're claiming to be in-game evidence isn't in-game evidence.  The fact is they were speculating the existence of an Entity, and they created analogies to human life to try to understand the Entity they were speculating about.  Until there's hard evidence whether the Entity actually did relive its "life", which will probably be when the identity of the Entity is finally revealed by Kato (I really wish he would hurry up and make the third Chrono game...), you can't call the discussion at the campfire scene in-game evidence as far as the details of the Entity are concerned.  What you can use it as in-game evidence for, if anything, is that the heroes of CT realized that there could have been someone or something guiding them the whole time.  That's all.  

Then you disagree that everyone of those time periods would be imporant if the Planet was the entity?

No, I'm not disagreeing there.  It's very plausible that the planet could be the entity.  Where we disagree is that the time periods hold or could hold significance to the Gurus as well.  

Then explain why the Gate would not have opened in the original timeline, if the pendant created it. Remmeber, they didn't time travel in the original one...

Do we know for sure that Marle had the pendant in the original timeline?  I'm not trying to dodge the question, but if we don't know for sure whether or not Marle had the pendant in the original timeline, we really can't say much about it.  

Thats an... interesting take on Dinopolis being pulled back. Its only theorized that it was the Planet pulled Dinopolis back in the game. However, I don't think thats quite how Newton's Third Law works. The equal and opposite reaction of Chronopolis being pulled back would be Chronopolis appearing in the past. For example, if I move my right arm, Newton's Third Law doesn't say my left arm must move in the opposite direction, if that makes any sense. Then again, I'm not a physics major.

Oh, I'm still saying that the planet reacted by bringing Dinopolis, but what I was also saying was that the planet may have simply been obeying physics, although in this case it's extreme.  It really reminded me of Newton's Laws for some reason, although now that I think about it more Newtonian physics might not even apply to a case like this.   Yeah, I'm not a physics major either, but I had to go through 2 semesters of classical and modern physics because I'm a chem major.

Quote from: AuraTwilight
Not to mention that Dinopolis's appearance isn't equal. Chronopolis only crossed time. Dinopolis crossed time AND SPACE.

Well, if you think about it, they both crossed space-time distortions.  The only part that's weird here is that Dinopolis crossed dimensions - I'm not sure if that can be considered just space...

Quote from: Mystik3eb
Plus Dinopolis was apparently weaker than Chronopolis, so it's even more so weaker. Interesting idea.

Wasn't Dinopolis the most powerful facility in its dimension?  It did have the Dragon God, which was their most powerful weapon.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2005, 09:22:33 pm »
Do we know for sure that Marle had the pendant in the original timeline? I'm not trying to dodge the question, but if we don't know for sure whether or not Marle had the pendant in the original timeline, we really can't say much about it.

For sure, no we don't.  But there is nothing to imply that she didn't.  There is alot of things we don't know for certain about the original timeline, because most of what we see is the new timeline.  Its widely considered that the first "change" from the original timeline to the one Crono started his quest on was the gate at Leene square being there.  But his very, very likely she still had the pendant.

Elvis_Maximus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2005, 09:33:26 pm »
Personally, I think the more apt question is how on earth did she get the pendant in the original timeline, but to answer that we'd have to know what happened in Zeal in the original timeline, and to get that we'd have to know... well... you get the idea.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2005, 12:46:24 am »
I like the pendant idea, it could work actually.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2005, 02:21:05 am »
Just because you believe or, heck, even if it is "just speculation", that doesn't mean that what is discussed in the 500 Year Reuinion is any more or less in-game evidence.

I think questions about the Entity will be answered when Sky Render & RPGOne are done (because it's likely that it'll happen before Kato & Square get their asses in gear for Chrono 4)...Although people have already given us enough re-translated snippets...:roll:

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2005, 02:55:42 am »
*Points at Crono and co* They're mortals... But there's obviously a reason why they survived their encounter.

...  Crono and co. can't create Gates.

I was meaning that in comparison to the Guru's, Crono and co are also mortals and look what they did.

In CT, the planet (if its the Entity) is dieing because of Lavos.  Its not in CC.

Yeah, but the Planet still lost 65,000,000 years of energy, so pulling in a dimension with a weakened power supply is kind of risky and stupid.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2005, 10:51:54 am »
For sure, no we don't. But there is nothing to imply that she didn't. There is alot of things we don't know for certain about the original timeline, because most of what we see is the new timeline. Its widely considered that the first "change" from the original timeline to the one Crono started his quest on was the gate at Leene square being there. But his very, very likely she still had the pendant.

Yeah, this is definitely a roadblock, both for your discussion and for my theory.  Since we don't know for sure whether or not Marle had the pendant in the original timeline, and since we don't know for sure if there was definitely a third factor involved in creating the gate, this really causes difficulties.  This could cause a weakness in my theory.  The problem is there's so much we don't know, so there's a valuable bit that can't be come to a conclusion about either way due to lack of information.  

Quote from: V_Translanka
Just because you believe or, heck, even if it is "just speculation", that doesn't mean that what is discussed in the 500 Year Reuinion is any more or less in-game evidence.

It's not that I "just believe", it's fact.  What you're claiming the discourse that transpired during 500 Year Reunion is in-game evidence for is not what it is in-game evidence for.  It is in-game evidence for the fact that the heroes of CT realized there could be an entity, and it is in-game evidence for the fact that they tried to understand this entity by relating it to a human being.  It is not in-game evidence for any specific detail about the entity.  As far as direct details go about the entity, we are given none except that the entity could have caused the gates and could have caused and/or guided the events that occurred in Chrono Trigger.  

I think questions about the Entity will be answered when Sky Render & RPGOne are done (because it's likely that it'll happen before Kato & Square get their asses in gear for Chrono 4)...Although people have already given us enough re-translated snippets...

I'll have to look for these - I know about Sky Render's project, but I didn't know there were any others trying to translate from the Japanese version.