Author Topic: A New "Entity" Theory In Progress  (Read 16827 times)

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
A New "Entity" Theory In Progress
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2005, 03:25:27 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking

Quote:
#1- We don't know that the Frozen Flame was in the Mamon Machine, therefore we can't call Schala the Arbiter.

RD says it was. Since RD's history is the same as CT's, it's most likely. Evidence, such as Belthasar knowing about it kind of shows it. Schala may or may not be the arbiter (even thought she did talk through it in CC). But it is most likely there.

Can you cite the quotes from RD for us that shows it?  Also, if I remember correctly, the Frozen Flame was actually Dreamstone in RD.  

But RD's history is CT's history. It only splits off in the future pretty much. It's basically in RD that Schala used the power of the flame to reincarnate herself. Though, this may be in a timeline without Crono's interference. Either way, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't. But the flame is there, and i'll point out a few reasons why furthut down. (BTW, the Flame can teleport around.)

I was agreeing with you about possibilities of the Flame in my initial response right up to the point where you spoke about the Mammon Machine housing the Frozen Flame as it is referred to in Chrono Cross.  If you can show me quotes supporting what you say from Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross, I might be more inclined to believe that statement.  As far as the Flame's ability to teleport around...  I don't see where you are getting this from.  

Belthasar's book wasn't talking about dreamstone, to claify this. It was about the Frozen Flame. Ever aspect of it, even the Love and Hate part were talked about in Chronopolis, all about the flame. By tying in the evidence scattered in CT, RD and finally in CC, it all points to the flame. 1) Belthasar knew what dreamstone was, and would have just called it that. 2) Belthasar wasn't the only one to refer to it as the crimson/red shard (Lynx too). 3) Shard being the main word here. The FF is a shard of Lavos. 4) Chronopolis says that when the flame was discovered, the human brain advanced x3 the normal rate, so it pretty much happened in 3,000,000BC.

Ok, here's the quote from Belthasar's book:  

It all began aeons ago, when man's
   ancestors picked up a shard of a
   strange red rock...

Its power, which was beyond human
   comprehension, cultivated dreams...
   In turn, love and hate were born...

Only time will see how it all ends.

And here's the quote from Lynx in Chrono Cross:

This is the essence of what
   descended from the heavens
   in the prehistoric age.
   The living crimson stone...
   the Frozen Flame!

Taking Lynx's words into consideration does lend credibility to the notion that the Guru of Reason was talking about the Frozen Flame.  What does not point to the Frozen Flame, however, are two parts of  the Guru of Reason's quote:

1)   "It all began aeons ago, when man's ancestors picked up a shard of a strange red rock..."

When Crono & co. go back to 65,000,000 B.C., they meet humans, and the only difference between those humans and the ones of 12,000,000 B.C. is that they are unable to use magic.  

What is also interesting is that it is not mentioned that this strange red rock descended from the heavens and it is also interesting that there is no mention of the rock being alive.  

2) "Its power, which was beyond human comprehension, cultivated dreams...  In turn, love and hate were born..."

Love and hate already existed in 65,000,000 B.C. before Lavos fell.  The lends more credibility to the idea that the Guru of Reason was not talking about the Frozen Flame.  

Quote from: AuraTwilight
I believe the pendant may be a conglomeration of every soul it's come in contact with. Schala's compassion, wisdom, and purity, combined with Marle's fiery determination and strength of will, combined with Crono's heroism and courage (along with Marle's descendants which we can assume had qualities of any of the other three) creates a soul in the pendant I'm pretty sure would guard it's owner and work for the benefit of mankind and stuff

That's a very interesting take on the pendant.  I like it. Considering the qulaities of dreamstone, there's a possibility the pendant could be this.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2005, 04:01:45 pm »
The Frozen Flame in RD isn't Dreamstone. Magil clearly states that it's extraterrestrial:
Just as I start to think no one is going to answer, Magil starts to speak, his
low voice echoing throughout the stone corridor.
"It was said to be a gem which soothes all scars, granting eternal life to its
owner...
...Or so people believed.
The Frozen Flame is more than just an object. It's not of this world.
It descended from the heavens long ago, part of a huge meteorite.
Once, there lived a people who sought to harness its power, hoping to tap into
their yet unknown potential. And so, it became a treasure of great importance
and dreams.
However, whether a gift which bestows power is actually a blessing or a curse,
is another question altogether.
Since the birth of humanity, at least one entire race has fallen because of it.
These people once built a great thriving metropolis with its power, but now,
all knowledge of this era has been completely lost within the sands of time."
A faint feeling of distress comes across Magil's voice, throughout his speech.
"But then, how do you know about all this?" I ask.
Again, no answer.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2005, 04:23:34 pm »
And we know for certain that Dreamstone is of terrestrial origin?

GrayLensman

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2005, 04:23:40 pm »
Quote from: Chrono'99
The Frozen Flame in RD isn't Dreamstone. Magil clearly states that it's extraterrestrial

Yes, but the FF in Radical Dreamers is significantly different in appearance and function from the FF in Chrono Cross.  One cannot be used to prove things about another.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2005, 04:43:40 pm »
Chrono'99, Thank You.

Anyway, The FF in RD looks like a stone, but it is quoted to be "A flame frozen in time". Hence it looks like a stone. It is not though. It was just the design for it at that stage. Just like how Kid looked, and Serge looked etc.

And guess what, that shard is the FF. Can't you put two and two together?
1) The FF is what evolved the humans.
2) It gave them magic.
3) The FF is around love and hate itself (i'll provide the quote later.)
4) Aeons ago is enough for 3,000,000BC, which is pretty much that time.

Could the reason for the
   abnormal development of the
   human brain be the biological
   contamination caused by Lavos?

That would mean that humans are
   really a heterogeneous life-form,
   or '"foreign matter,"' as far as
   the planet is concerned.
   Humans are a sudden mutation
   caused by the contact with
   Lavos
-- an alien life-form that
   fell to this planet from space.
   That is why humans are,
   biologically speaking,
   unbalanced and half-finished.
   Internally inconsistent and
   disconnected, the human
   existence is plagued by
   contradictions.
   An incomplete species,
   torn between love and hatred,

whose very being is self-
   contradictory.
   From the planet's viewpoint,
   humans are just destroyers
   and a cursed, yet perhaps
   pathetic, blight on the world.

Look at the last bolded quote. Is it not what Belthasar was saying. Though Love and Hate may exist in Ioka and in the prehistoric people, I doubt they actually understand the consept of it. The Humans coming in contact with the flame, advanced them beyond anything that they could have dreamed of. Hence, not only was Love and Hate born metaphorically, but it was also born physically.

Alright, I finally found it. The Flame was in the Mammon Machine.
Luccia:
   Ack!
   Vot power...
   Dis power is not somet'ing
   man should possess.
   yes...it is just as I t'ought.
   Several civilizations have
   already been destroyed
   because of dis immense power...
   As you said, my friend...
   Science should only be used
   for the betterhood of mankind,
   no!?

As RD had stated, the flame in the mammon machine was able to drag out Lavos' power and amplify it, over use caused Lavos to erupt and destroy Zeal, for one.

Nikki:
   Marvelous...
   It's a truly marvelous
   tone...
   It brings out light
   and darkness
within
   me clearly!

Another symbolism for love and hate.

That one was known as '"Lavos!"'
   The great crimson flame......

Wielding absolute power,
   Lavos buried the dinosaurs -
   the kings of the land -
   in the space of a night.

However, the timid '"apes"'
   who had lived hidden in
   the forests...

...came into contact with
   the crimsom flame
   that fell from the sky,
   and evolved into '"humans."'

We already know what dreamstone does. - harnessing and amplifying power. the Flame is very different... It can grant wishes, desires etc. Though, who knows whos talking through it. It kind of points to Schala.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2005, 05:04:12 pm »
Quote from: DBoruta
And we know for certain that Dreamstone is of terrestrial origin?

Saying that Dreamstone is extraterrestrial would be adding an assumption where there is no need for...

Anyway, I'm aware that stuff from RD could be kind of useless in trying to prove CT/CC details. The difference in the Einlanzer origins (the Gurus in RD, and the Dragonians in CT/CC) is an example of discrepancy. I just wanted to note that (even) RD doesn't say that the Frozen Flame is Dreamstone.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2005, 05:32:47 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
Anyway, The FF in RD looks like a stone, but it is quoted to be "A flame frozen in time". Hence it looks like a stone. It is not though. It was just the design for it at that stage. Just like how Kid looked, and Serge looked etc.

I have to side with GrayLensman - even if your comments on the appearance part are true, the function is funamentally different in RD compared to Chrono Cross.  Furthermore, the Mammon Machine was made of dreamstone - the Guru of Life directly says this in Chrono Trigger.  

And guess what, that shard is the FF. Can't you put two and two together?
1) The FF is what evolved the humans.
2) It gave them magic.
3) The FF is around love and hate itself (i'll provide the quote later.)
4) Aeons ago is enough for 3,000,000BC, which is pretty much that time.

When you get to the point in academia where I am, putting two and two together isn't that simple.  You need proof, and ample amounts of it.  

1&2) While I will agree that the Frozen Flame allowed humans to evolve, the way in which they evolve is questionable.  Evidence from Chrono Trigger shows the people of Ioka and Laruba were fully human.  Did they have the ability to use magic? No.  This is where the Frozen Flame most likely came in.  
3) This is very questionable, since Schala is directly connected to the Flame by the time Chrono Cross comes around.  She is human, which means her qualities could have been represented in the Flame.  

Humans are a sudden mutation
caused by the contact with
Lavos

This quote of Belthasar's is very controversial.  The fact of the matter is, the only difference between pre-flame contact and post-flame contact is the ability to use magic.  Ayla was born before humans hyper-evolved and gained innate abilities to use magic, so she couldn't learn magic in Chrono Trigger.  She was still human, however.  In essence, she was like the Earthbound ones, who could not use magic.  Were they still human?  Yes.  The only difference was they were not under Lavos' control and were not mutated by Lavos.  

Though Love and Hate may exist in Ioka and in the prehistoric people, I doubt they actually understand the consept of it. The Humans coming in contact with the flame, advanced them beyond anything that they could have dreamed of. Hence, not only was Love and Hate born metaphorically, but it was also born physically.

The thing is, this does not make sense.  Whether or not the Iokans and Larubans were able to understand their emotions at that time is much different from saying that love and hate weren't physically in humans at that time.  The flame may have advanced humans' capabilities to manipulate the elements, but to say that it was because of the flame created emotion, which is something the Guru of Reason is doing in Chrono Cross (you're just using it as evidence), is something that contradicts other in-game evidence found in Chrono Trigger.  

This has to either be Kato's great mistake in creating the plot of Chrono Cross, or it his great achievement, as he may have gone a step farther than other game writers in creating a "world" where there is not a single person who really understands what is going on and there is no omniscient figure who just gives the answers.  Instead, we have someone who is trying to figure out just how everything came to be and is making his own theories within the game.  The fact of the matter is, there is in-game evidence from Chrono Trigger that causes some contradiction with the Guru of Reason's theories from Chrono Cross, and this results in a lot of confusion when trying to put everything together.    

Alright, I finally found it. The Flame was in the Mammon Machine.
Quote:
Luccia:
Ack!
Vot power...
Dis power is not somet'ing
man should possess.
yes...it is just as I t'ought.
Several civilizations have
already been destroyed
because of dis immense power...
As you said, my friend...
Science should only be used
for the betterhood of mankind,
no!?

As RD had stated, the flame in the mammon machine was able to drag out Lavos' power and amplify it, over use caused Lavos to erupt and destroy Zeal, for one.

This is not enough proof to say that the Frozen Flame was inside the Mammon Machine.   The power she is talking about is the power of Lavos,   and since the Flame is Lavos, it would make sense.  Where does this make any statement or inference to the Flame being in the Mammon Machine or being used by the Zeal culture to draw out Lavos' energy?

Quote from: Chrono'99
Saying that Dreamstone is extraterrestrial would be adding an assumption where there is no need for...

Anyway, I'm aware that stuff from RD could be kind of useless in trying to prove CT/CC details. The difference in the Einlanzer origins (the Gurus in RD, and the Dragonians in CT/CC) is an example of discrepancy. I just wanted to note that (even) RD doesn't say that the Frozen Flame is Dreamstone.

Ok, you have me in agreement with you here.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2005, 06:55:34 pm »
Its good to see someone else destroy Zaper's arguements.

It seems that DBoruta's hinge on two things that I've found:

-Did Marle have the pendant in the original timeline?
-Why would the "Red Gate" open for Lucca, when she is not in possession of it?  Or more simply, what is the extent of Dreamstone's power, and the extent of what emotion can effect it?

Other than those two, your theory is very good.  I like it alot more than I initially did.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2005, 09:08:28 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
It seems that DBoruta's hinge on two things that I've found:

-Did Marle have the pendant in the original timeline?
-Why would the "Red Gate" open for Lucca, when she is not in possession of it? Or more simply, what is the extent of Dreamstone's power, and the extent of what emotion can effect it?

Other than those two, your theory is very good. I like it alot more than I initially did.

Yeah, those are the two things my theory ends up hinging on.  I'm glad you like my theory a lot more than you originally did - you were the biggest contributor to it by providing a good amount of possible arguments against it.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2005, 09:47:23 pm »
If any human created the Time-Gates it would be Gaspar in the End of Time, with the Time Egg.  The Time Egg, not the Pendant, was the object with the power to manipulate time.

My personal understanding is that the Gates appeared because the Planet was having flashbacks of its past experiences or, in the case of the 400 year reunion, out of sympathy for Lucca.  Rather than the Planet acting out of self preservation, the Gurus may have simply taken the opportunity to guide the time travelers on their quest to defeat Lavos.

Either way, the Gurus played a major role in the destruction of Lavos.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2005, 11:29:06 pm »
Quote from: GrayLensman
If any human created the Time-Gates it would be Gaspar in the End of Time, with the Time Egg. The Time Egg, not the Pendant, was the object with the power to manipulate time.

That's an interesting thought.  I think you're giving the power within the pendant, which is Lavos' power, too little credit.  Remember that in Chrono Trigger, the pendant catalyzed the hatching of the Time Egg.  

My personal understanding is that the Gates appeared because the Planet was having flashbacks of its past experiences or, in the case of the 400 year reunion, out of sympathy for Lucca. Rather than the Planet acting out of self preservation, the Gurus may have simply taken the opportunity to guide the time travelers on their quest to defeat Lavos.

That is also an interesting thought - the planet was spontaneously creating these gates because Lavos had been draining it of its power (or in other words having flashbacks), and the Gurus saw this and took the opportunity to use what was happening to help put a stop to Lavos.  The only part I still don't quite get is how the planet could feel sympathy for Lucca or feel at all - that comes off as being too human.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2005, 11:39:29 pm »
That is also an interesting thought - the planet was spontaneously creating these gates because Lavos had been draining it of its power (or in other words having flashbacks), and the Gurus saw this and took the opportunity to use what was happening to help put a stop to Lavos. The only part I still don't quite get is how the planet could feel sympathy for Lucca or feel at all - that comes off as being too human.

The idea is that the Planet has its own consciousness.  That it thinks, feels, etc etc.  Sorta like how Azala talks of Mother Earth and such.

GrayLensman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2005, 12:08:43 am »
Quote from: DBoruta
If any human created the Time-Gates it would be Gaspar in the End of Time, with the Time Egg. The Time Egg, not the Pendant, was the object with the power to manipulate time.

That's an interesting thought.  I think you're giving the power within the pendant, which is Lavos' power, too little credit.  Remember that in Chrono Trigger, the pendant catalyzed the hatching of the Time Egg.

The Pendant is a powerful energy storage medium which causes reactions with many other artifacts.  However, the Time Egg was designed as a time travel device capable of creating Gates and other time distortions, as described in Chrono Cross.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2005, 12:34:09 am »
Quote from: Sentenal
The idea is that the Planet has its own consciousness. That it thinks, feels, etc etc. Sorta like how Azala talks of Mother Earth and such.

Right.  I know that's the idea, and that's a big part of the Planet-Entity theory, but it's something I'm still not completely sure about.  

The Pendant is a powerful energy storage medium which causes reactions with many other artifacts. However, the Time Egg was designed as a time travel device capable of creating Gates and other time distortions, as described in Chrono Cross.

Right - I wasn't trying to diminish the credibility of the Time Egg as a device that can cause space-time distortions.  I just don't want the Pendant's power and capabilities to be disregarded.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2005, 01:03:37 am »
I have to side with GrayLensman - even if your comments on the appearance part are true, the function is funamentally different in RD compared to Chrono Cross. Furthermore, the Mammon Machine was made of dreamstone - the Guru of Life directly says this in Chrono Trigger.

The function is not different. It was used differently. The flame in both cases grants wishes, or gives enough power to do such things. Schala's dispair and thought that she was responsible for the whole incident triggered the flame into reincarnating her. The flame also teleported itself out of the crumbling palace >.> But the difference was that Lynx in RD said that combining the power of the Flame and the Time Egg would make one almost god like in controling time.

When you get to the point in academia where I am, putting two and two together isn't that simple. You need proof, and ample amounts of it
It wasn't meant to sound like a personal attack. I'm just saying that you can't just listen to one source of information. The only way to get true information is to combine that of the 3 games.

1&2) While I will agree that the Frozen Flame allowed humans to evolve, the way in which they evolve is questionable. Evidence from Chrono Trigger shows the people of Ioka and Laruba were fully human. Did they have the ability to use magic? No. This is where the Frozen Flame most likely came in.

Their bodies may have been fully human, but their brains were not, nor their comprehension of things. (as with Ayla saying that her head would go "boom" if Lucca talked about where they had come from".

3) This is very questionable, since Schala is directly connected to the Flame by the time Chrono Cross comes around. She is human, which means her qualities could have been represented in the Flame.

I'm not sure what you mean in that quote, or what it is directed at, sorry.

This quote of Belthasar's is very controversial. The fact of the matter is, the only difference between pre-flame contact and post-flame contact is the ability to use magic. Ayla was born before humans hyper-evolved and gained innate abilities to use magic, so she couldn't learn magic in Chrono Trigger. She was still human, however. In essence, she was like the Earthbound ones, who could not use magic. Were they still human? Yes. The only difference was they were not under Lavos' control and were not mutated by Lavos.

The Earthbound ones have evolved, not much physically, but x3 mentally. Their use of magic of why they cannot do it is unknown. Possibly they just don't know how to harness it, like the Earthbounds did. Could be a birth defect, who knows. And it was not about Lavos' control. Anyone over 3,000,000BC was mutated, probably. The Enlightened ones were not controlled by Lavos until the Mammon Machine was made and he was discovered. It was like someone had said in Zeal, the queen lost her soul overnight once she had discovered him and the thought of immortality.

The thing is, this does not make sense. Whether or not the Iokans and Larubans were able to understand their emotions at that time is much different from saying that love and hate weren't physically in humans at that time. The flame may have advanced humans' capabilities to manipulate the elements, but to say that it was because of the flame created emotion, which is something the Guru of Reason is doing in Chrono Cross (you're just using it as evidence), is something that contradicts other in-game evidence found in Chrono Trigger.

I'm not talking about the emotion, and I do not think that Belthasar means it too. I think it is the symbolism of how pathetic the humans are, and yet they live thanks to the flame and Lavos. Love and Hate can be directed at many things, but it is a quality that CC and the flame show. CC is pretty much all about Love and Hate. For one, the Tear of Love and Hate is the Chrono Cross. The good side of Schala and the dark side of Schala that was being taken over. Schala's will to survive and Lavos' will to destroy etc. It's all tied in.

This is not enough proof to say that the Frozen Flame was inside the Mammon Machine. The power she is talking about is the power of Lavos, and since the Flame is Lavos, it would make sense. Where does this make any statement or inference to the Flame being in the Mammon Machine or being used by the Zeal culture to draw out Lavos' energy?

The only game evidence of any civilization falling to it's knees thanks to the Frozen Flames power is Zeal. Zeal and most probably only Zeal. It would defeat the purpose if it was done again. The Mammon Machine was the cause that awoke Lavos. Schala was the reason why the Mammon Machine was awaken. Since Luccia is talking about the Flame and Zeal, then it points towards the Mammon Machine and the Flame. Plus, Schala talks through the flame, I guess Oo. But as I said earlier, combining the evidence from 3 games, the Flame was in the mammon machine. It is stupid to think not. Do remember that RD is still in the Chrono world, and as long as the past history of the world is embeded in RD, then it is it. RD was also almost a prototype. Obviously, things like the einlanzer were changed to make it a key item, important in the plot. The FF did not change in status, and is still a major part of the CC storyline.

Its good to see someone else destroy Zaper's arguements.
I'd hate to see the Compendium sink with arrogant people like you.

That's an interesting thought. I think you're giving the power within the pendant, which is Lavos' power, too little credit. Remember that in Chrono Trigger, the pendant catalyzed the hatching of the Time Egg.

Don't forget what Gaspar or whoever said. The egg would only work depending on the amount of focus and love they had for Crono, and to have him come back to them.

Right - I wasn't trying to diminish the credibility of the Time Egg as a device that can cause space-time distortions. I just don't want the Pendant's power and capabilities to be disregarded.

I don't think anyone is disregarding it. Though, I'd rather say that the full power of the pendant can only and will only be accessed by Schala, and not some mediocore girl like Marle.