Author Topic: A New "Entity" Theory In Progress  (Read 16823 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
A New "Entity" Theory In Progress
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2005, 02:11:07 am »
Their bodies may have been fully human, but their brains were not, nor their comprehension of things. (as with Ayla saying that her head would go "boom" if Lucca talked about where they had come from".

So stupid people arn't human?

The only game evidence of any civilization falling to it's knees thanks to the Frozen Flames power is Zeal. Zeal and most probably only Zeal. It would defeat the purpose if it was done again. The Mammon Machine was the cause that awoke Lavos. Schala was the reason why the Mammon Machine was awaken. Since Luccia is talking about the Flame and Zeal, then it points towards the Mammon Machine and the Flame. Plus, Schala talks through the flame, I guess Oo. But as I said earlier, combining the evidence from 3 games, the Flame was in the mammon machine. It is stupid to think not. Do remember that RD is still in the Chrono world, and as long as the past history of the world is embeded in RD, then it is it. RD was also almost a prototype. Obviously, things like the einlanzer were changed to make it a key item, important in the plot. The FF did not change in status, and is still a major part of the CC storyline.

Zeal and most probably only Zeal?  Sorry, Zaper, from the very same quote you got that from, she says "Several civilizations".  Thats plural.  More than one.  Plus, how the hell would Luccia know what exactly went into the making of the Mamon Machine?  Even to Chronopolis, they can't verify Zeal, much less its downfall.  As said before, there are many discrepancies in RD from CT and CC.  Therefore, anything RD says is null and void, as it disqualifies itself.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2005, 02:49:11 am »
I've said it many times: RD is more of a "What If" side-game, than a direct sequel. It does NOT have the same past as CC does, the pasts are simply extremely similar. Sure, CC is merely one of the many possible timelines that came from the defeat of Lavos, but as far as the official "Chrono" series, it is the true sequel to CT as far as what does indeed happen according to the storyteller of "Chrono". Radical Dreamers is not "Chrono" for a reason.

And I've repeatedly gotten crap from this. But I don't care. Good game, it may have been. Doesn't change it for what it is. It stands on it's own.

And I still don't see any problem with the 400-year reunion deal. I don't see why they'd have to be touching it for it to work. And even if that WAS the case, as DBoruta said, we don't know who was holding the Pendant at all times. Maybe no one was holding it at that point. Maybe it was just sitting in one of the packs lying on the ground. *shrug*

The question of if Marle had the pendant is definetely a great question, though.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2005, 02:59:46 am »
Quote from: Zaperking
The function is not different. It was used differently. The flame in both cases grants wishes, or gives enough power to do such things. Schala's dispair and thought that she was responsible for the whole incident triggered the flame into reincarnating her. The flame also teleported itself out of the crumbling palace >.> But the difference was that Lynx in RD said that combining the power of the Flame and the Time Egg would make one almost god like in controling time.

The fundamental function of the Flame in Chrono Cross was to serve as a link to Lavos and its power (in Chrono Cross, it eventually serves as a link to the Time Devourerer).  I've read through a lot of the script of Radical Dreamers, and nowhere does it suggest the that Flame of RD was actually a link to Lavos.  Instead, we see in RD that it is simply a gem of considerable power, but there is no evidence that the Flame of RD was a living link to Lavos.  

It wasn't meant to sound like a personal attack.

Don't worry, it wasn't taken as one.  I was trying to explain why I'm taking the approach I'm taking and how I'm tentative to make conclusions quickly.  

Their bodies may have been fully human, but their brains were not, nor their comprehension of things. (as with Ayla saying that her head would go "boom" if Lucca talked about where they had come from".

I would say Ayla's brain was developed to be fully human - it's a part of her body and as she shows time and again she is actually quite eloquent in her philosophy on life, although the level of language that had been developed during her time was not exactly flowery. As for the quote about her head, it could be compared to someone saying things along the lines of, "You're going to give me a headache if you try to explain it to me."  The world and culture of 65,000,000 B.C. was not nearly as scientifically advanced as other eras, so there would be no way she could have comprehended space-time distortions.  It was a matter of the environment and times she was born into.      

3) This is very questionable, since Schala is directly connected to the Flame by the time Chrono Cross comes around. She is human, which means her qualities could have been represented in the Flame.

I'm not sure what you mean in that quote, or what it is directed at, sorry.

To put it in other words, I was saying that any emotional value the Flame exhibits in Chrono Cross can be questioned because a human element is now connected to it - Schala.  

The Earthbound ones have evolved, not much physically, but x3 mentally. Their use of magic of why they cannot do it is unknown. Possibly they just don't know how to harness it, like the Earthbounds did. Could be a birth defect, who knows. And it was not about Lavos' control. Anyone over 3,000,000BC was mutated, probably. The Enlightened ones were not controlled by Lavos until the Mammon Machine was made and he was discovered. It was like someone had said in Zeal, the queen lost her soul overnight once she had discovered him and the thought of immortality.

Where are you getting your figure for the triple development mentally of the Earthbound ones?  As far as the "Enlightened Ones" go, it was after they discovered Lavos and switched from element-based magic to that of Lavos' power that they came under its control.  Also, don't forget that the Enlightened ones lost their magical ability after the Ocean Palace disaster - this shows that there was something more to it that the Earthbound ones lacked.  

I'm not talking about the emotion, and I do not think that Belthasar means it too. I think it is the symbolism of how pathetic the humans are, and yet they live thanks to the flame and Lavos. Love and Hate can be directed at many things, but it is a quality that CC and the flame show. CC is pretty much all about Love and Hate. For one, the Tear of Love and Hate is the Chrono Cross. The good side of Schala and the dark side of Schala that was being taken over. Schala's will to survive and Lavos' will to destroy etc. It's all tied in.

Love and hate are still emotions.  I'll agree that love and hate are part of the theme to Chrono Cross, but when it comes down to it love and hate are emotions that are on opposite extremes of each other.  Furthermore, if we take that as symbolism in the Guru of Reason's writings, which there is a possibility it could be, then what could this be a metaphor for?  Love and hate are extremes of each other, and since the Guru of Reason said that humans are torn between love and hate because of Lavos and the Flame, this could mean that Lavos caused humans to become more of an enigma in nature.  The gained ability to control the elements in a fashion similar to Lavos makes humans Lavos-natured, yet since they originally were of the planet, they are also planet-natured.  Hence, a nature that is not completely of either source, it is in turmoil.  

The only game evidence of any civilization falling to it's knees thanks to the Frozen Flames power is Zeal. Zeal and most probably only Zeal. It would defeat the purpose if it was done again. The Mammon Machine was the cause that awoke Lavos. Schala was the reason why the Mammon Machine was awaken. Since Luccia is talking about the Flame and Zeal, then it points towards the Mammon Machine and the Flame. Plus, Schala talks through the flame, I guess Oo. But as I said earlier, combining the evidence from 3 games, the Flame was in the mammon machine. It is stupid to think not. Do remember that RD is still in the Chrono world, and as long as the past history of the world is embeded in RD, then it is it. RD was also almost a prototype. Obviously, things like the einlanzer were changed to make it a key item, important in the plot. The FF did not change in status, and is still a major part of the CC storyline.

The problem is the assumptions are you are making in coming to the conclusions you are coming to.  Instead of looking at existing evidence and trying to formulate a conclusion, it appears to me you are starting at the conclusion and trying to work backwards to the evidence.  In your evidence, you are assuming that the Flame was in the Mammon Machine, when it may not be the case.  Again, I return to the nature of Dreamstone - it has the quality to absorb power, and we do know the Mammon Machine was made of Dreamstone.  Furthermore, Chrono Trigger lends some credibility to this, as there is no mention of the Frozen Flame by anyone in or near the hall of the Mammon Machine in the Queen's Palace.  
What they do mention is that the Machine was built by the Gurus and that it extracts Lavos' power.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2005, 08:40:01 am »

Another case of Sentenal not even reading the post.

Zeal and most probably only Zeal? Sorry, Zaper, from the very same quote you got that from, she says "Several civilizations". Thats plural. More than one. Plus, how the hell would Luccia know what exactly went into the making of the Mamon Machine? Even to Chronopolis, they can't verify Zeal, much less its downfall. As said before, there are many discrepancies in RD from CT and CC. Therefore, anything RD says is null and void, as it disqualifies itself.

Yeah, my mistake. But Chronopolis does know that in legend of myth or whatever, Zeal was said to have been destroyed prosumably by Lavos or something. Luccia would probably know, and know more if Lucca had told her, since they worked together.

I've said it many times: RD is more of a "What If" side-game, than a direct sequel. It does NOT have the same past as CC does, the pasts are simply extremely similar. Sure, CC is merely one of the many possible timelines that came from the defeat of Lavos, but as far as the official "Chrono" series, it is the true sequel to CT as far as what does indeed happen according to the storyteller of "Chrono". Radical Dreamers is not "Chrono" for a reason.  

That's your opinion. It is not a sequal. And neither is CC. And if you don't believe me, then go read Masato's interview. CC was not designed to be a sequal either, nor is it, it just ties a few things. If it was a sequal, then it'd be Chrono Trigger 2.
Anyway, RD shares CT's past. RD may even be the original timeline, which was why one of my theories was that that incident happened the first time around, but then again there's Lucca and the time egg so it's improbable. Though, RD informs us of a lot of things. RD having a frozen flame, and CC having one connects that there indeed was a flame in Zeal. It doesn't matter how they look >.> It's the consept.

The fundamental function of the Flame in Chrono Cross was to serve as a link to Lavos and its power (in Chrono Cross, it eventually serves as a link to the Time Devourerer). I've read through a lot of the script of Radical Dreamers, and nowhere does it suggest the that Flame of RD was actually a link to Lavos. Instead, we see in RD that it is simply a gem of considerable power, but there is no evidence that the Flame of RD was a living link to Lavos.

Yes, that is one of the things with the flame.
Though, this is another time you need to connect evidence.
Schala was guilty at being responsible of the downfall of Zeal. Why did Zeal have a downfall? Because Lavos was awakened. Why was Lavos awakened? Because Schala caused the flame to extract to much energy, which caused him to awake. There. Think outside the square XD

To put it in other words, I was saying that any emotional value the Flame exhibits in Chrono Cross can be questioned because a human element is now connected to it - Schala.

When Schala talks through the flame to get Serge to it, she hasn't lost her mind yet... Well you know, it hasn't been overtaken by Lavos. The second time around, it's basically her destructive self talking and telling the truth, which is a part of Lavos anyway.

Where are you getting your figure for the triple development mentally of the Earthbound ones? As far as the "Enlightened Ones" go, it was after they discovered Lavos and switched from element-based magic to that of Lavos' power that they came under its control. Also, don't forget that the Enlightened ones lost their magical ability after the Ocean Palace disaster - this shows that there was something more to it that the Earthbound ones lacked.

I assume you have played CC right? The Flame was found in 3,000,000BC (approximately). The flame enhanced the humans. Humans breed and the gene thing continues on. Basically, in the span of 3,000,000 years, the humans' brains evolved x3 that of Ayla and her people. It assessed in Chronopolis, so go check it out.

Love and hate are still emotions. I'll agree that love and hate are part of the theme to Chrono Cross, but when it comes down to it love and hate are emotions that are on opposite extremes of each other. Furthermore, if we take that as symbolism in the Guru of Reason's writings, which there is a possibility it could be, then what could this be a metaphor for? Love and hate are extremes of each other, and since the Guru of Reason said that humans are torn between love and hate because of Lavos and the Flame, this could mean that Lavos caused humans to become more of an enigma in nature. The gained ability to control the elements in a fashion similar to Lavos makes humans Lavos-natured, yet since they originally were of the planet, they are also planet-natured. Hence, a nature that is not completely of either source, it is in turmoil.
The later was more of what I had on the line.

The problem is the assumptions are you are making in coming to the conclusions you are coming to. Instead of looking at existing evidence and trying to formulate a conclusion, it appears to me you are starting at the conclusion and trying to work backwards to the evidence. In your evidence, you are assuming that the Flame was in the Mammon Machine, when it may not be the case. Again, I return to the nature of Dreamstone - it has the quality to absorb power, and we do know the Mammon Machine was made of Dreamstone. Furthermore, Chrono Trigger lends some credibility to this, as there is no mention of the Frozen Flame by anyone in or near the hall of the Mammon Machine in the Queen's Palace.
What they do mention is that the Machine was built by the Gurus and that it extracts Lavos' power.

Really? Hmm..

Anyway, RD says what was done to make the Mammon Machine work. Belthasar knows of the Flames existance etc. And he uses it to his advantage in the new 2300AD.
Basically, Dreamstone can not absorb Lavos' energy without a catalyst. The Mammon Machine cannot drain Lavos' energy without a link. The only link is the Flame. Now, The Flame extracts that energy, and the dreamstone harnesss and amplifies it. This was why the Zealians in the room could feel the energy without it actually coming in contact with them.
It's a system. And it was why Zeal needed the flame closer to Lavos in order to drain more energy, bad mistake though when the Machine itself was raised to channal to much energy from the Flame. Ofcourse, this is an assumption, but from all the evidence on the flame, it's existence, it being the downfall of Zeal - It is very plausible. Anyway, the Flame can move around on it's on free will.

[/quote]

Theicedragon

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2005, 10:37:19 am »
I have one question.  Where do people get the idea that the FF was in the MM?  I never came to that conclusion.  And if it was, where did it go when the MM malfuntioned?

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2005, 11:49:50 am »
Quote from: Zaperking
Schala was guilty at being responsible of the downfall of Zeal. Why did Zeal have a downfall? Because Lavos was awakened. Why was Lavos awakened? Because Schala caused the flame to extract to much energy, which caused him to awake. There. Think outside the square XD

We know the Mammon Machine extracted energy from Lavos - the exact mechanism isn't known or ever revealed, despite your conclusions.  Schala's connection to the Mammon Machine was that she was the only one who could "operate" it because of her pendant and her ability to use the pendant in a special way.  In other words, if she didn't have the pendant, which was made of the same material as the Mammon Machine and essentially served as a control for the Mammon Machine, she may not have been able to control the Mammon Machine at all.  Furthermore, at the time of Zeal's downfall, Schala was not connected to the Frozen Flame because she was not being absorbed by Lavos, as result of the Keystone Timelines, yet.  

When Schala talks through the flame to get Serge to it, she hasn't lost her mind yet... Well you know, it hasn't been overtaken by Lavos. The second time around, it's basically her destructive self talking and telling the truth, which is a part of Lavos anyway.

My point isn't based on whether she has lost her mind, my point is based on that she is connected to the Flame at that point.  

I assume you have played CC right? The Flame was found in 3,000,000BC (approximately). The flame enhanced the humans. Humans breed and the gene thing continues on. Basically, in the span of 3,000,000 years, the humans' brains evolved x3 that of Ayla and her people. It assessed in Chronopolis, so go check it out.

I've played Chrono Cross quite a few times, and I never saw such a figure.  I just went back through the script for Chronopolis, and what is there is data about Lavos' possible interference in human evolution, although no exact time period or rate of enhancement is given.    

Basically, Dreamstone can not absorb Lavos' energy without a catalyst. The Mammon Machine cannot drain Lavos' energy without a link. The only link is the Flame. Now, The Flame extracts that energy, and the dreamstone harnesss and amplifies it. This was why the Zealians in the room could feel the energy without it actually coming in contact with them.
It's a system. And it was why Zeal needed the flame closer to Lavos in order to drain more energy, bad mistake though when the Machine itself was raised to channal to much energy from the Flame. Ofcourse, this is an assumption, but from all the evidence on the flame, it's existence, it being the downfall of Zeal - It is very plausible.

While what you say about the Flame serving as a link to Lavos would make sense (and does sound like a good explanation),  it still has yet to be proven that it was actually in the Mammon Machine.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2005, 12:00:57 pm »
Well then, this certainly is a fun thread to read. I probably will repeat stuff already mentioned, but I have a few qualms with the theory that I don't think were mentioned yet. I will be triple posting, such that it matches the setup DB made for his theory outline.

Quote from: DBoruta

I.   The Guru of Reason, His Actions, and His Words
B.   The Guru’s Actions
6.   Questions arise from his actions:
a.   Why did he make the Wings of Time in 2300 A.D.?

I don't really understand this question. he made it in 2300 because thats where he was gated to. It's not like he could pick an era to be sent to.

b.   Why did he protect it with a sealed door, and then set up a way to make those who would open the door know who he was and what he knew about Lavos?

If you built the first time machine known to man, would you leave it on your front porch? I didn't think so. Okay, for some reason you fail to remember this man is the Guru of Reason. Crono, Marle, and Lucca all show up at this guys door. It really isn't that hard to figure out that they are not from that time. Belthasar knows first hand that time travel is possible, and seeing three healthy and vigorous teenagers is not something you come across at all in 2300. He easily could have assumed they knew of some form of time travel, and from there set up the rest based off of speculation. And we all know how well he speculates.

c.   How did he know someone would come to open the sealed door?

He probably didn't know for sure, but he couldn't have missed the pendant that was undoubtedly hanging from Crono's neck. Even if they never ended up getting to Zeal it was easily possible with thier obvious time traveling abilites.

e.   Why did he risk going insane and store his memories within a Nu instead of leaving 2300 A.D. through use of his Wings of Time?

He didn't leave because he was too weak once he finally completed it, he probably had enough energy to finish the mind transfer into the Nu and that would have about done it. He even says it himself:

Quote from: Belthasar

To those who opened the door...

I am Belthasar, the Guru of Reason.
   I once lived in the kingdom of Zeal.

A great disaster in Zeal somehow
   threw me into this era.

To my surprise, Lavos exists here, and,
   I suspect, in other periods as well.
   Aeons ago, Lavos descended from the
   heavens.

Burrowing deep into the the world's
   core, he began to consume our planet's
   energy, and grow stronger.

Lavos disappeared briefly when he
   was summoned away by a mighty
   wizard who lived in Guardia, in the
   year 600.

In 1999, Lavos claims this area, and
   reigns from high atop Death Peak.

Lavos continues to replicate......
   like a giant parasite, he is consuming
   our world.

Forced to live here, I continued to
   conduct research on Lavos.
   But I am growing old.

And it's impossible to keep sane in such
   trying times. So before I lose it
   completely, I shall safeguard my data,
   and my ultimate creation...

How I long to return home...
   But I have grown frail...

So you...YOU, who have opened the
   door!
   I leave things in your hands.

Only by mastering time, itself, do you
   stand a chance against Lavos.

The odds will be against you...
   But you are true heros.
   The world is in your hands.

Open, now, the last door, and take
   what you find there.
   My last invention...

My «Wings of Time» ...

C.   The Guru’s Words
2.   “To my surprise, Lavos exists here, and,I suspect, in other periods as well. Aeons ago, Lavos descended from the heavens.  Burrowing deep into the the world's core, he began to consume our planet's energy, and grow stronger.  Lavos disappeared briefly when he was summoned away by a mighty wizard who lived in Guardia, in the year 600. In 1999, Lavos claims this area, and reigns from high atop Death Peak. Lavos continues to replicate...... like a giant parasite, he is consuming our world. Forced to live here, I continued to conduct research on Lavos. But I am growing old.”
a.   This quote gives detail to the extent the Guru of Reason studied Lavos.  It shows that the Guru of Reason studied Lavos in detail, and what is also interesting about this is that Crono & co. have been to every time period he lists except 1999 A.D. on the “Day of Lavos”.

Obviously he studied Lavos in detail, he was at the base of the mountain that Lavos resides over! It would have made less sense if he didn't know so much about the big guy. Also I don't see the relevance that he mentioned most of the time periods (didn't talk about Zeal in there) they went to. It's not like he stated that he knew they went to those said periods, or needed to. He was just giving a historical background of Lavos's actions on the planet up until that point.

3.   “So you...YOU, who have opened the door!  I leave things in your hands.  Only by mastering time, itself, do you stand a chance against Lavos.  The odds will be against you...  But you are true heroes.  The world is in your hands.”
a.   This quote has a lot in it.  The Guru of Reason not only charges those who opened the door with the task of defeating Lavos, but he calls them true heroes.  This suggests that it is not on mere hope that the Guru of Reason had carried out his work.  This could be written off as him going insane, but…

This easily can be attributed to the fact that the heroes are traveling throughout time. He knows this, because of what I stated earlier about him recognizing that the teens were not from the era.

4. “And it's impossible to keep sane in such trying times. So before I lose it completely, I shall safeguard my data, and my ultimate creation...”
a.              This quote shows that he is fully aware of his sanity slipping, and that he was sane when he did complete the Wings of Time and construct the message to those who would eventually open the sealed door.
b.   So, now having enough information to conclude that the Guru of Reason was mostly sane when he constructed the Wings of Time, the sealed doors, and his message, the questions remain: Why did he do it?  How did he know someone would come?

He did it because he knew that the only chance those teens he saw before had was if they had every available way to master time. He made the door before he met them, so it isn't like he knew that they were going to find him but that he wanted to protect his lifes work. From what you ask? Oh well maybe the human killng crazy robots that were scattered throughout the planet? He left the message in hopes that they would return, simple as that. And plus, he knew from making Epoch that it was possible to make it back to 12,000. How without the Epoch might have been past his thought process but he knew it could be done.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2005, 01:08:25 pm »
II.   The Guru of Life & The Pendant
A.   What We Know About the Guru of Life
4.   After the Sun Stone and Rainbow Shell are recovered, he shows up at Guardia Castle and makes armor, a sword, and other devices from an alloy he creates from them.  How he knew when to show up and how he knew the Rainbow Shell was recovered by Crono & co. for use to make defensive and offensive gear is unknown.

Try the trial of the century where the King of Guardia is being tried for stealing the Rainbow Shell. Seems like something that would get around the "newswire".

B.   There is some evidence that suggests the Guru of Life had knowledge of the events that would unfold in Chrono Trigger.  How much knowledge of these events is uncertain, but one quote in particular from the beginning of Chrono Trigger is evidence that implies he may have had knowledge of what was going to happen: "Oh, my! It's...the pendant...! Er, sorry, but I can't buy that! It's...far too special! Keep it safe!"
1.   The biggest question that arises from this is, why would he say this, especially after he showed such interest in buying the pendant?
2.   Furthermore, once he realized this was the pendant he made for Schala, would he have not wanted it more to keep it safe himself and to have it to remember Schala?

He could easily be saying that because it is a priceless heirloom. I doubt he would really want or need the pendant, since it is of little value to him as a swordsmith in a peaceful era. And if you like to use quotes to back the argument, you'll like this then:

MELCHIOR: You found some
   Dreamstone?!
   Then I'll repair the Masamune!

MELCHIOR: HOW on earth did you get the
   Masamune...
   ...and the Dreamstone?

MELCHIOR: No, don't tell me.
   I don't think my heart could take it.
   It'll take a little while to fix this...

Using this, he obviously has no idea that the group has the ability to time travel, since if he did he wouldn't be anywhere near as surprised as he is when they bring him both the broken sword and the ancient stone needed to repair it.

C.   The Pendant
2.   The Pendant’s History
a.   What is known of the pendant is that it was made by the Gurus for Schala in 12000 B.C.  After the Ocean Palace disaster, its whereabouts were unknown until 1000 A.D., when it reappeared in Marle’s possession.  
b.   What is not known is what happened to the pendant after the Ocean Palace disaster in the original timeline, and it is also unknown as to how Marle obtained the pendant.  Furthermore, it is unknown if she actually had the pendant in the original timeline.

This to me makes no sense to assume outside of. Think about it, what would have caused a change in Marle receiving the Pendant? None of the people that were gated from the original timeline would have had any chance of altering where the Pendant ended up. Melchior, Gaspar, and Belthasar were all in eras that make it impossible to change Marle being able to get the Pendant. Janus ended up in the custody of Ozzie and the Mystics. And probably something of such visual beauty (Pendant) was something that was handed down the Guardia line. A family heirloom of sorts. While that is purely specualtion, it isn't very wild of an idea especially since Marle guards the object basically above anything else (before she meets Crono).

3.   The Pendant’s Power
a.   What is known is that the pendant was imbued with the power of Lavos, a being that can distort space and time to the point of opening gates.  
b.   The pendant has demonstrated ability to form gates and other space-time distortions on a few occasions.  
1)   The pendant interacted with the telepod to help create the gate at the fairgrounds at the beginning of Chrono Trigger.  The gate was not visible before this interaction, so it can be concluded from this that the pendant’s interaction with the telepod catalyzed the gate’s formation
2)   On Death Peak, the pendant helped create a gate in conjunction with the Time Egg.  
3)   In Chrono Cross, Kid used the pendant to call Serge across dimensions.
c.  The pendant also was able to open the seals created by Zeal and by the Guru of Reason.

Okay, here is where I get a tad bit picky. Nowhere is it stated that Lavos has the ability to form a gate.  It is my theory that the Entity (planet) made every single gate in the game. If you like I will explain it, but since I have already I'll spare everyone else who has already heard it until I can separate it from this rebuttle. Lavos did make the Pocket Dimension, but that again is not a gate that allows for time travel.

Again, the Pendant never undoubtedly made any gates. The fairgrounds gate in my eye was made by the Entity. Assuming everything that happens before the gate is made is exactly the same, Crono bumps into Marle still and they go to the exhibit. The only difference is in the original timeline there is no reaction with the telepod. This isn't a unfounded belief, let me explain further. For your theory to be correct, the Pendant would have somehow had to have reacted with the telepod to create a gate. Remember, that at this point the Pendant is completely drained of any power and is basically a dead battery. Recall the scene where Marle is gated. The Pendant is the first thing to react, not the telepod. It shines and then the electricity sparks from the telepod. Thus, something from the Pendant had to have reacted before the telepod even fired up. This to me makes no sense since there is nothing in the Pendant in terms of stored energy. We know this because the sealed door at Zeal Palace couldn't be opened without being recharged by the Mammon Machine. We continue with Crono. By your theory the gate was created when the Pendant reacted with the telepod. For some reason, the Pendant does not follow Marle through the gate. Even though it was clearly hanging from her neck. So theoretically, the gate should not have completely closed, since it was just created. And like any other gate in the game, once it is created/found it is resembled by a shiny blue ball of light. But not for Crono, the exact same process has to be done again to open the gate. But this time around the Pendant goes with him...kinda convienient don'tcha think? A little too convienent if you ask me, which makes me think that it was all a very convincing ploy by the Entity to get Crono to go after Marle so they could meet up with the ever so important Frog.

One could argue that all the Pendant really did was supply the fuel for the Chrono Trigger to work. Since they were on Death Peak, and the Pendant was full of Lavos's energy it is entirely possibile that the Time Egg was what did all the work.

III.   The Guru of Time
B.   The Guru’s Words
2.   “Disturbances in the space-time continuum have increased recently.  Far too many folks are just popping in here...”
a.   While this indicates that more gates are forming, it also indicates that the Guru of Time had met other time travelers.  Who were they?  
b.   This statement has some importance, as it could lend credibility to the idea that the Guru of Reason may have used the Wings of Time before finally storing it.  In the same respect, however, it may have had nothing to do with it at all.  What is known, however, is that not just anyone can open time gates; a key is needed, such as the pendant or the gate key Lucca made.

I already disfounded the possiblity that Belthasar could have used Epoch in his section of your theory.

5.   “Now it is time for you to access the Gate contained within that bucket!  You fight not just for yourselves, but for all living things...”
a.   Here is a point where it appears the Guru of Time’s true intentions are made known.  He goes from simply being someone who has made himself look like he was merely helping and guiding Crono & co. to something more.  He is telling them they are ready to face Lavos, which is quite interesting.  It appears that this could have been the point he was guiding them toward the whole time, especially considering before this point he had been guiding them toward places and events that would empower them to defeat Lavos.

You are putting a large amount of emphasis on something that really isn't as big as you are making it out to be. By that time, he obviously knows that they are trying to defeat Lavos. He has been helping them out since they had first entered the EoT, so I don't see why it is such a large suprise that he did it here.

C.   The Guru of Time’s Actions & Details About the End of Time
1.   The most interesting action the Guru of Time has performed was not his guiding of Crono & co. by telling them which time period to visit and when, but the fact that he sent them to Spekkio to have their innate magic abilities unlocked.
a.   Why did he do this?  He had just met Crono & co., and at that point his words only indicated he had the impression that they were merely lost in time and were trying to get back home.  
b.   Spekkio tells Crono & co. that they are strong of will and that the Guru of Time saw this in them.  What exactly is being strong of will?  How did the Guru of Time know they were strong of will unless he had been watching them before they had arrived at the End of Time?

It is entirely possible that Gaspar could sense their potential. The Zealians did it to them at least once:

Your power differs from ours...

In you I sense a strange aura
   of...kindness...

My, you've got an unusual aura!
   So, you must possess the skill, too!

It must be very primitive compared to
   ours!
   You poor things!

Since these ragamuffins that are not even innate can sense it, I couldn't see why Gaspar couldn't do the same.

2.   The gate to the “Day of Lavos” is in a bucket instead of a pillar of light.  Furthermore, the Guru of Time initially warns Crono & co. to stay away from the bucket.  While the bucket does lead to Lavos, which is very dangerous, the Guru eventually tells the heroes they are ready to use that bucket, implying that gate could have been set aside with the intent for use at a later time.

That bucket is closed because it leads to the destruction of the planet. You don't want to go in that gate unless you really know what you are doing. Since Gaspar has been watching them throughout the majority of thier adventure, he knows how stong they have become. He knows that they are as strong as they are going to ever be, and that they are the only ones that can take it to the house and beat Lavos real good like.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2005, 01:14:31 pm »

Really now?  Lets got back to what you said:

Humans in the prehistoric era were mentally inferior to humans at a later date?  Now, you claim that this is genetic, or natural stupidity, that they don't have the capability to grasp complex consepts.  This goes back to the quote about the Frozen Flame accerating human evolution.  Now here is a question to you:  Why is it that you consider their stupidity as natural, rather than a result of their enviroment?  They (prehistoric man) would have been raised in an enviroment where there was no school, no education, only hunting, gather, and other such parts of primative life.  On the contrary, every other characters were raised in enviroments where there was some form of education, where higher learning was present.  Even the Earthbound ones, although they probably lived primatively, it was forced upon them, and they also had the "enlightned" Zealians which they would have been raised in contact with.  Even those in 2300 were marginally inteligent, because of the technology that surrounded them, and influence of inteligence that would have been passed down (educated person in 1999, has child after Lavos.  Child is influenced by educated parent during raising, so is more inteligent than s/he would otherwise be.  And it carries on to 2300).

So in short, their stupidity is not because they are naturally stupid, and less human because of that, but they are ignorant due to the enviroment they were raised in.

And why does Schala drawing power from the Mamon Machine imply that the FF was in it?  The Mamon Machine was designed to absorb Lavos' power.  There is nothing impling that it required the FF to do this.  Drawing energy from Lavos was plenty to wake him up.

Basically, Dreamstone can not absorb Lavos' energy without a catalyst. The Mammon Machine cannot drain Lavos' energy without a link.

Why?  Proof?  Oh, its an assumtion?  Then don't paint it as fact.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2005, 01:24:18 pm »
Sorry for double post, but I found some lines of dialog that may disqualify Melchior from the Entity trio:

MELCHIOR: Th, this sword...it's the
   Masamune!
   How did you get it?

If he was part of the Entity Trio (i'm going to call your 'entity' that), he wouldn't have been so suprised that they had gotten the Masamune.  After all, hes part of a group that guided them to get it.

Dreamstone?!

Masamune...
   ...and the Dreamstone?

Agian, suprise that they found the dreamstone, and Masamune agian.  If he were part of the Entity Trio, he would have known that they were going to get it.  After all, hes one of those guiding them.

Now, I'd like to address that "maybe hes just acting".  Why are you picking and choosing text, if you ask that?  If you take one instance that implies (alegdily) hes guiding them to destroy Lavos, such as the pendant buying part, why discredit these lines of text?  And why would there be a need to hide that hes guiding them?  Gaspar apparently doesn't see a need to hid the fact that hes guiding the group to destroy Lavos.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2005, 01:29:44 pm »
IV.   Conclusions
A.   About the Gurus in General
1.   Two of the three Gurus had the chance to leave the time periods they were sent to, yet they remained in the time periods Lavos sent them to.  Why?  One possible and logical conclusion is that they chose to remain in the time periods they were sent to.  While this answers one question, it opens another – Why would the Guru of Reason and Guru of Time choose to remain exiled, especially when the Guru of Reason knew he would go insane if he remained in 2300 A.D.?  The evidence about the Guru of Reason shows that he was expecting certain events to happen, and that is why he remained in 2300 A.D.  The evidence about the Guru of Time is not as clear, although it was seen that he did have purpose in remaining at the End of Time in that he guided Crono & co.

None of them had the chance. Belthasar wasn't strong enough to take the Epoch out for a joyride. Gaspar implies that he is unable to leave the EoT, not specifically but he dances the idea in your mind:

OLD MAN: One of you is close to
   someone who needs help...
   Find this person...fast.

Just as you touch the lives of every
   life form you meet, so, too, will their
   energy strengthen you.

Fail to live up to your potential, and
   you will never win...

I am sorry that I must simply
   witness the coming spectacle from
   my vantage point here

Him saying that makes me believe that he is truly unable to leave the EoT. I am not trying to explain why, but it doesn't make any sense that he wouldn't just leave and go wherever the gate takes him. Obviously its a one way trip, but I think it would be better than spending all of your days in a time anomaly.

2.   Each of the Gurus had at least some knowledge about what the mission of Crono & co. would be, and each of them did aide Crono & co. in important ways.

I fail to recall when Melchior learns of the groups purpose.

3.   Each of the time periods that Crono & co. travel through are important in the relationship between Lavos and the planet, but each time period also holds significance to the Gurus as well.  65,000,000 B.C. is alluded to by the Guru of Reason, 12,000 B.C. is when the Ocean Palace disaster occurred that caused the Gurus to be exiled to different time periods.  In addition to this, much was learned about Lavos during that time period, both by the Gurus of Zeal and by Crono & co.  600 A.D. is mentioned by the Guru of Reason, which means it had some significance to him.  He knew a powerful wizard summoned Lavos during that time period, but whether he knew it was actually Janus is uncertain. The Guru of Life resides in 1000 A.D., and the pendant reappears during this time period.  1999 A.D. is when the “Day of Lavos” takes place.  2300 A.D. is where the Guru of Reason was sent, and it is where he learns that Lavos has destroyed the world and reigns atop Death Peak.  The End of Time is where the Guru of Time was sent.

All of these places besides the EoT are major events regarding Lavos's time on the planet.

65,000,000: Lavos lands and begins draining the planet of its life force
12,000: Lavos breifly emerges and destroys Zeal
600: Magus gains acess to Lavos's PD and is presumably killed trying to destroy Lavos      
1000: Earthquakes occur, most likely due to Lavos's presence in the planets core or crust
1999: Lavos destroys the majority of the planet
2300: The last humans on the planet struggle to survive, most likely they die out completely in the very near future. Lavos reigns on Death Peak and sends its young to other planets to repeat the cycle.

E.   The Gates
1.   While it is still uncertain where the gates actually came from and what the mechanism of their formation was, it can be concluded that all three of the Gurus had knowledge of the gates being formed and what events would follow their formation.  
2.   It can be speculated that the Gurus were also related to the gates’ creation, although there is not enough information and/or evidence to conclude that they were involved in creating the gates.   Two of the Gurus did find ways to create space-time distortions, which does lend some support to an idea that they could have been involved.

Obviously they knew of the gates, they were the first gated people that we know about!

So your theory is pretty good, but there are a good amount of holes. I look forward to your response.

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2005, 01:32:05 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Sorry for double post, but I found some lines of dialog that may disqualify Melchior from the Entity trio:

MELCHIOR: Th, this sword...it's the
   Masamune!
   How did you get it?

If he was part of the Entity Trio (i'm going to call your 'entity' that), he wouldn't have been so suprised that they had gotten the Masamune.  After all, hes part of a group that guided them to get it.

Dreamstone?!

Masamune...
   ...and the Dreamstone?

Agian, suprise that they found the dreamstone, and Masamune agian.  If he were part of the Entity Trio, he would have known that they were going to get it.  After all, hes one of those guiding them.

Now, I'd like to address that "maybe hes just acting".  Why are you picking and choosing text, if you ask that?  If you take one instance that implies (alegdily) hes guiding them to destroy Lavos, such as the pendant buying part, why discredit these lines of text?  And why would there be a need to hide that hes guiding them?  Gaspar apparently doesn't see a need to hid the fact that hes guiding the group to destroy Lavos.

Beat ya to it!  8)

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2005, 01:54:48 pm »
Crap, and here I thought I was the only one who noticed it :)

AuraTwilight

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2005, 02:07:48 pm »
Its good to see someone else destroy Zaper's arguements.

I'm totally signaturing that!

As for the two main arguments about the Earth being "human" and the Love/Hate thing, with the Earth, you have to remember that in one quote, that Radish dude in CC (I think) says something to the effect of "The Earth is crying, and just wants us all to get along." The Love/Hate thing is duality in humans. Contradiction. It's not literal Love and Hate, but the intelligence and comprehension of man. The rising of philosophy and religion. If it helps, think of the Frozen Flame as the Monoliths from Space Odyssey.

Anyway, the Flame can move around on it's on free will.

No it can't.

That's your opinion. It is not a sequal. And neither is CC. And if you don't believe me, then go read Masato's interview. CC was not designed to be a sequal either, nor is it, it just ties a few things. If it was a sequal, then it'd be Chrono Trigger 2.

...God, you're so ridiculous. -_- CC is a sequel BECAUSE it ties things together. Check out the definition of the word. Masato's opinions about his own work doesn't change anything if it's a sequel by definition.

Like you're one to talk.

I have one question. Where do people get the idea that the FF was in the MM? I never came to that conclusion. And if it was, where did it go when the MM malfuntioned?

A game called Radical Dreamers states it.

Him saying that makes me believe that he is truly unable to leave the EoT. I am not trying to explain why, but it doesn't make any sense that he wouldn't just leave and go wherever the gate takes him. Obviously its a one way trip, but I think it would be better than spending all of your days in a time anomaly.

I never thought about that. It's possible that Gaspar's body died and he's only a spirit in the End of Time o.o;

SilentMartyr

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2005, 02:19:12 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Crap, and here I thought I was the only one who noticed it :)

Oh don't worry, I still have a few good years in me before my brain turns off.  :P