Author Topic: Ever thought of a Chrono Trigger MMORPG?  (Read 5980 times)

Chrono Dreamer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Ever thought of a Chrono Trigger MMORPG?
« on: January 13, 2006, 06:08:37 am »
Hello, i just registered right now
I am a great fan of Chrono Trigger, and this game had a great impact on me (like everyone else). I always play at least one time each year, to always remember this game, that brought so much hapiness.

Some days ago i was bored, and started minding about a CT online game, and i was searching google and the only thing i found was a unnoficial CT online game, the forum is in french, by the way, it seems that the game dont had too much sucess, or i dont know (dont get your hopes, the server is no longer on and the game is dead)

So, i was thinking about a CT mmo, what you guys thinking? The game would be based in CT Universe (duh), it would have the world of Chronos, with all the monsters, etc but ofcourse there would be some new maps, new dungeons and new monsters. You would be able to travel between the eras. You could choose your element (fire, ice, lighting, water, etc) just like in CT, and could party with your friends to adventure and even hunt bosses (bosses would be like Ragnarok'S mvp) and do dual techs and even triple, and may be a PvP system

What you think guys? Anybody ever thought about this? Any idea? ;)

chrono trigger

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.allhiphop.com
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 06:33:53 am »
first of all welcome to the chrono compendium man:)its really good to see new members in this forum

now for the morrg idea:i swear to GOD i was thinnking the EXACT same thing 20 minutes ago and i was searching for an online chrono trigger!sadly i didnt find anything:(
an morrg with chrono trigger characters would be AMAZING.think that we are going to play characters like crono,magus,johny etc.
and the places would be like guardia,zeal etc.
you know u just gave me a great idea!just like lineage has tons of clones like flyff(good game man) or rose they can create a CT client with l2 gameplay at least.now ct gameplay with morrg i found it kinda impossible

a and btw i remember seeing some BROWSER based online ct rpgs.i am going to find the link and edit my post

EDIT:http://www.chronocompendium.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fan_Projects

go here and then go to chrono much or chrono distortion

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:32:13 am »
You know something? I really highly dislike MMOs. Alot. Every one I've played has left me with less than lackluster feelings inside. The worlds didn't interest me at all, neither did the races, gameplay, enemies, all that jazz. And the lack of storyline did it, too.

That said, for some strange reason, I'd love a Chrono MMO. Think about it. It's not just a world...it's a world that transcends time. Now the problem with this is that it would kinda throw off the plot, what with all these adventurers suddenly overwhelming everywhere and going through all the portals...it wouldn't really work...

...unless we took one time period, like maybe 1005 AD or something, and took the scale of the planet and made it much larger than is perceived in the original. That'd be cool. But they'd still have to figure out how many more types of enemies would exist and some stuff...

...but if gameplay was similar to the original somehow (some strange multi-player ATB kinda like CT and FFX-2), including Double and Triple Techs, with levels harder to achieve and spells taking longer to acquire, but otherwise the same idea as CT...even though I don't think they could do anything that would actually fit cannon into the original storyline, that'd still be wicked fun!

I'm sold!

...or maybe I just wanna play CT in a fully 3D environment, like the way it looked in the CT:R trailer. God, that got me excited.

In either case, I've still never liked the idea of constantly feeding money out to keep playing a fucking game. I've never believed that I should spend more than one sum of money for games or movies and be done with paying after that. But that's just me, I guess being poor will do that.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 09:22:43 am »
Im with u Mystik. Personally I couldnt be bothered to spend heaps of money a month to play a game when i can buy a good Final Fantasy and play it for ages and hardly pay nothin. My friend play MMOs 24/7 almost and yet one day I showed him FF and hes like "It looks like a really boring game. You cant interact with anyone else." So im just like "Screw u"

MMOs wreck a lot of good RPGs. But a CT one wouldnt be too bad i spose.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 09:41:21 am »
I think a CT MMORPG wont work. What would be point be. Their world isn't practical enough. Making other people special, would ruin the consept. Heck, what, we're just gona get a bunch of people with sauce pans as weapons and some porrean guards with guns? No one can use magic except the mystics, and they're at peace. Lavos is kind of what drove the plot, Zeal, Teh Zealian Family, the guru's etc.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:51:32 am »
I wouldnt out-rule it altogether though. So what if one era couldnt use magic? Make that era only be melee type weapons or such. Have other eras as having Magic? Broaden the world and ppl of CT and CC, take away the main plot of the story and add the typical MMO stuff and there u have it.

Not that i like MMOs especially a CT one but Im saying that it IS possible.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 10:08:12 am »
I don't like the idea, it would mean a CT multiplayer game, but without a story, and this is in my oppinion a for me important part in Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Dreamer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 10:21:22 am »
first of all welcome to the chrono compendium man:)its really good to see new members in this forum

now for the morrg idea:i swear to GOD i was thinnking the EXACT same thing 20 minutes ago and i was searching for an online chrono trigger!sadly i didnt find anything:(
an morrg with chrono trigger characters would be AMAZING.think that we are going to play characters like crono,magus,johny etc.
and the places would be like guardia,zeal etc.
you know u just gave me a great idea!just like lineage has tons of clones like flyff(good game man) or rose they can create a CT client with l2 gameplay at least.now ct gameplay with morrg i found it kinda impossible

a and btw i remember seeing some BROWSER based online ct rpgs.i am going to find the link and edit my post

EDIT:http://www.chronocompendium.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fan_Projects

go here and then go to chrono much or chrono distortion

I dislike the idea of using 3D engine.
Personally, i'd prefer to see the graphics just like they are in the game, i'd like to feel the same way i feel when i play the real game, otherwise, it would'nt be a true CT MMO.

Some programmer could do a 2D engine, its not too hard

You know something? I really highly dislike MMOs. Alot. Every one I've played has left me with less than lackluster feelings inside. The worlds didn't interest me at all, neither did the races, gameplay, enemies, all that jazz. And the lack of storyline did it, too.

That said, for some strange reason, I'd love a Chrono MMO. Think about it. It's not just a world...it's a world that transcends time. Now the problem with this is that it would kinda throw off the plot, what with all these adventurers suddenly overwhelming everywhere and going through all the portals...it wouldn't really work...

...unless we took one time period, like maybe 1005 AD or something, and took the scale of the planet and made it much larger than is perceived in the original. That'd be cool. But they'd still have to figure out how many more types of enemies would exist and some stuff...

...but if gameplay was similar to the original somehow (some strange multi-player ATB kinda like CT and FFX-2), including Double and Triple Techs, with levels harder to achieve and spells taking longer to acquire, but otherwise the same idea as CT...even though I don't think they could do anything that would actually fit cannon into the original storyline, that'd still be wicked fun!

I'm sold!

...or maybe I just wanna play CT in a fully 3D environment, like the way it looked in the CT:R trailer. God, that got me excited.

In either case, I've still never liked the idea of constantly feeding money out to keep playing a fucking game. I've never believed that I should spend more than one sum of money for games or movies and be done with paying after that. But that's just me, I guess being poor will do that.

Well, there are people who dislike MMOs, and there are who likes. Personally, i know alot of people that likes the idea.

Of course it wouldn't work with the present world, its too small,  but as i said in my first post "with new maps, and dungeons", so, it would be a expanded world with much more territory, new lands and more cities and  adapted for a MASSIVE multiplayer game, and remember, the universe of CT has more than 5 eras, this means a worldmap multiplied by five, its space as hell!!!

And who said it would be a pay-for-play MMO? :)

I think a CT MMORPG wont work. What would be point be. Their world isn't practical enough. Making other people special, would ruin the consept. Heck, what, we're just gona get a bunch of people with sauce pans as weapons and some porrean guards with guns? No one can use magic except the mystics, and they're at peace. Lavos is kind of what drove the plot, Zeal, Teh Zealian Family, the guru's etc.

Everyone is able to have magic, Crono, Marle, Lucca, Glenn, are all humans and son of humans, but they are still able to learn magic (if they speak with the proper persons, i mean, Spekkio), the way to learn magic would be the same, who would have to do a quest than go speak with Spekkio

Of course, if you choose to born in a era that didnt had magic yet, like pre-historic age, you would use your hands and physical skills, like Ayla do

What would be the point? Well, being honestly, it would be the same of every MMO: get strong, hunt for powerful items, play with your friends, maybe a Duel System, and hopefully regular quests made by the GMs, all based in the CT Universe

Tonjevic

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 10:37:04 am »
Having the player play as ANY of the characters included in the story is a major flaw. You would need some generic build-your-own hero that the 'player crafts to his tastes'.
Can you imagine having millions of chronos running around?

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 03:40:51 pm »
MMORPG's are the only thing the Christians were right about. MMORPG's are the DEVIL. and I don't even believe in him. Dayum.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 09:48:19 pm »
MMOs are kind of games where there is a well established society and such.  The point of CT is not about governments or economy, its about defeating Lavos... so a MMO about CT would involve Lavos.  This instantly gives me the image of a bunch of normal humans, zealians, mystics, robots, and caveman beating up Lavos at the same time, over and over every day.... Highly impractical...  If it became something like Diablo II it would be horrible.

Plus Time Travel in CT is only given to few people, in an MMORPG everyone would want it.  That would just be retarded.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 10:23:06 pm »
You could always just have an MMORPG in Crono's world.

That said, I loathe all MMORPGs with equal rancor and consider them to be the biggest waste of time and affliction of laziness to ever plague gamers. A nerd is antisocial; a computer geek spends a lot of time on the computer. Playing an MMORPG is cashing in a check to become a nerd.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 01:58:01 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
That said, I loathe all MMORPGs with equal rancor and consider them to be the biggest waste of time and affliction of laziness to ever plague gamers. A nerd is antisocial; a computer geek spends a lot of time on the computer. Playing an MMORPG is cashing in a check to become a nerd.

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better myself.

That said, the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea.

Chrono Dreamer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 05:04:20 am »
People, i dont want to sound rude, but you are deviating the real subject of the topic. If MMOs are good, are worth to pay or are nerd stuff is out-of-context.

This topic was created by me to see the opinion of people WHO likes MMOs about a possible CT MMO adaptation, or for people who dislike too, as long as they are impartial and keep the MMO hate away from their opinion. So, i will repeat, this topic was created to discuss about a CT MMO adaptation.

If you dislike MMORPGs create a topic for yourself to talk about if its worth playing or no. Thank you.

;)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 05:29:45 pm »
I just don't see how one could work time travel into an MMO successfully without frustrating players. Dimension? Maybe. Time? No way.