Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Japanese Script & Retranslation Project  (Read 4778 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Chrono Trigger Japanese Script & Retranslation Project
« on: January 14, 2006, 09:24:40 pm »
For over a decade, American fans of Chrono Trigger have wondered how the game originally appeared in Japan. While Ted Woolsey did a fantastic job making Trigger accessible to English-speaking audiences, some text was cut and altered according to Nintendo of America's censor standards. Today, thanks to JLukas, I am able to present to you the Japanese script of Chrono Trigger! It is saved in Unicode format and contains every text string from the original game. It is currently divided up into string blocks as they are stored in the game.

Download the Script

But there's one problem, of course: it's in Japanese! To penetrate the mysteries contained in the original script, the Chrono Compendium is launching its own Chrono Trigger Retranslation. It will tentatively be accomplished by fans of the games who know Japanese; these contributing translators can come and go as they wish, doing as little or much as they desire. We will make every effort to involve great linguistic talent with the project; soon, we hope to present you a fully retranslated script. If you know anyone who would be interested in helping translate, please let them know about the project or have them e-mail Zeality@gmail.com. We need your assistance; we appreciate it!

Stay tuned for Radical Dreamers Week!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 03:15:04 am »
I wholeheartedly endorse this next grand project of the Chrono Compendium. Its importance cannot be overstated. I have counseled ZeaLitY for quite some time that we must move forward with this most noble undertaking, as I am convinced a new translation will dazzle us with heretofore unknown details, as well as new interpretations of old ideas.

However, let us ask that only the finest translators apply, because fan eagerness potentially stands in the way of an objective translation effort. Objectivity is of the utmost significance, as, by nature of the subtlety of the knowledge that stands to be gleaned from a new translation, a biased job of it will reveal nothing to us but the jade of the translator.

Let the good work commence. Let there be no doubt as to my zeal for the successful completion of this project; it is the Compendium's most important undertaking at the present time, and there are several fine contenders to choose from. It was I who suggested we install the Game Script links that now stand atop the Forums pages. If this new Chrono Trigger translation is achieved with the professional objectivity and refined linguistic skill it deserves, I will likewise petition that a fourth link be added, that this translation might quite literally take its rightful place atop all other Compendium achievements.

Good voyage!

JonnyCyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 03:48:23 am »
Ya,
only the best of the best translators need apply.
I'm interested to see the major text changes, if any.
Sounds pretty tech if the board had to come in and make
alterations.
Was...was this the surprise at the end of the month...?

RyogaMasaki

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • sudden-desu
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:09:48 am »
Well...
http://ryoga.heypoorplayer.org/chrono/comp_text.php

So does this qualify me to help? =P

EDIT: Ok, sure, NOW I check my inbox. I replied, Zeality, thanks. =)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Re: ..
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 02:00:22 pm »
Quote from: JonnyCyo
Ya,
only the best of the best translators need apply.
I'm interested to see the major text changes, if any.
Sounds pretty tech if the board had to come in and make
alterations.
Was...was this the surprise at the end of the month...?

Hah, that is Radical Dreamers Week. The script sort of popped up on me; JLukas really cleaned house and got it out the door.

I swear, I'm having a hard time with news period becuase I have so many things to announce. I may make a new little sidebar box for minor announcements, like the fact that chronocrisis.com is finally up.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 05:46:02 pm »
I think we should have 'whoever' translate it accurately, and then give it to Josh to make it beautiful. He's got the best grip on the English language of anyone I've met.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 05:57:17 pm »
...It's not as if these translators are incapable of writing English. Have a little more faith than that. How would you do this line?

Tata's father: I'm ashamed of my son for what he did.

How could you edit it?

Tata's father: O, woe betide me, for my once-noble son hath fallen from grace! A curse upon the stinging tendrils of lies!

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 06:03:28 pm »
Oh I know...but there are still moments of depth that can exploit the beautiful depths of the English language, depths that not everyone knows how to reach.

Look at the difference between the translated scripts of Terranigma and Radical Dreamers. That's what I'm talking about. Terranigma was great, and there was nothing WRONG with the script per-se...but the RD script is beautiful.

So I'm not saying one will be a terrible translation and one will be beautiful, just that the beautiful would be better.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 06:09:26 pm »
Hmm, we don't want gripping moments which are emphasised by the more beautiful sides of the English language, we want the Japanese Script, as it is.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 06:37:23 pm »
Well, yes, it is fact finding for now, anyhow. But perhaps the CT Special Edition, if it is made, can be touched up.

chrono trigger

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.allhiphop.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 09:52:04 pm »
nice happy to see a japanese to enlish project because a lot of dialogue will be back from the original japanese game:)
i have one question though:this project is only for txt for us to just read or you will make a rom where we can apply to a english chrono trigger rom?(hopes for the second:P)

babybatcloud

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 09:58:36 pm »
This could turn out to be very benificial if succesfull, I wish you all the best of luck and I hope it works out as planned! I'd love to play the game with the original text, I'm also wondering if a patch of some sort would be possible.

Dirtie

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 07:13:09 am »
I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to change all the text strings in TF once the translation is done - I don't see any point in going through the trouble of doing it to the original Japanese rom.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 04:05:40 pm »
I was wondering when we would take on such a grand task. With no word on one coming I figured someone would request it eventually. Good luck to all who apply!

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 03:41:15 pm »
does anyone know how to actually find the radical dreamers game? Cant find it and cant get it to work! Please help, thanx so much :)