Author Topic: Special Names in the Chrono Series  (Read 10481 times)

Daniel Krispin

Special Names in the Chrono Series
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 07:03:59 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
If I recal, isn't using Plato or Platon at all already incorrect, in that that was not the name of the student of Socrates to which we refer? My copy of The Republic doesn't have much in the way of an answer to this. I really need to finish that book.

Well, I've not read the Republic (yet), but there's no other student to whom we refer. Plato wrote the Republic, that much is certain, but the debate is rather on the true Socrates. You see, Socrates became something of a mouthpiece for philosophers. To bring across their theories, they'd have Socrates in dialogue. Plato was the first to do this. Being the student of Socrates, it is likely that he knew the man better than most, yet even so, it must be questioned, are the words that he brings forward those of Socrates (or even how Socrates thought), or of Plato himself? But no, Platon's not incorrect. It's just that, in English, we have a tendancy to drop the n off that name. Technically, it's Second Declension Neuter (though why he has a neuter name... it can be done in Greek, that a man's name is of neuter ending, but it still looks funny. For a man's name, Platos seems more natural to me. But I can't argue with what actually was...) Anyway, yeah, so it's Platon... or Plate if you're talking to him. For some odd reason we like to mess up names. I mean, we say Mark Antony instead of Markus Antonius, right? Then why don't we say Mark Auriel rather than Markus Aurelius? Or if we keep the Latin 'us' on, why not Traianus or Hadrianus? And Greek... well, we commonly lose the 'os', 'es', and 'as' off Greek names. Alexandros becoming Alexander, as the example I gave. But I guess not always. We've still got Athene and Herakles and Herodotus (though that's been Latinized), it's true.

But back to what I was saying, yeah, it's Platon all right. But since Socrates didn't write, we can't be sure what sort of person he was. By all accounts, he was half insane. He was taken to walking around barefoot, standing in trances, and hearing voices (his 'te daimonion' as he called it). A wise man, but crazy.

Anyway, my point is just that... purity to the source can be good, but in translation is must be secondary to the assurance of correct meaning.
(Personally, going back the to Greek example, I still say Ajax and Achilles in speech... usually. Just like some might prefer Maou to Magus, I prefer Aias and Akhilleus - with the stress on the u. But it'd be pretty haughty of me - and yes, admittedly, I've done it before - to use those names in conversation to people, as it would just lead to misunderstanding of meaning. I like it, but I've got to go with what they know in order to communicate. Nowadays, it's Ajax and Achilles in speech (though, I usually write it otherwise because it's easier to pick up on in writing), even as I still say Zeus as Zoos and not the correct Zay-oos.)

Kanata

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaiaonline.com
Special Names in the Chrono Series
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 01:29:33 pm »
That's Kool!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Special Names in the Chrono Series
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2006, 02:04:59 pm »
Moving this to Real World Influences.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 08:45:22 am »
Clotho, Lanchassis(I'm not sure about the spelling), Atropolis(It should be Atropos) refers to the greek myths. They represents past, present & future.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 11:59:42 pm »
Clotho, Lanchassis(I'm not sure about the spelling), Atropolis(It should be Atropos) refers to the greek myths. They represents past, present & future.

Yeah, the Moirai, as they were called, the Fates. In Latin they were the Parcae. Pardon me, but I just figured I'd look them up in my Greek lexicon. Clotho... Klotho (with both the o's being long - essentially pronounced as Kloe-THOE... the th is aspirated, pronounced like the th in 'then', NOT like in 'thin'; note the stress is on the last syllable), basically means 'spinster', because she spins the thread of life - I guess the verb itself means to spin - and is in charge of the present. Atropos, basically means 'unchanging' (the 'a' is a negation in Greek, and the verb trepo means 'I turn' - this one is pronounced AH-trop-os, with all the o's being short; note the stress on the first syllable) or 'eternal.' She was in charge of the future. Lakhesis (pronounced just like that: LAH-khes-is with the kh being an aspirated k, which I can't think of ever occurring in English - like a k with an h) the lexicon gives as meaning the Disposer of lots, and she was in charge of the past - I suppose she measured out a person's destiny. A related word is Lakhos, which is an alloted portion, ie. destiny.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 03:13:39 am »
Prometheus(other name of Robo) is from the greek mythology. He's a benevolent Titan who gave man fire.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 06:11:24 pm »
Prometheus(other name of Robo) is from the greek mythology. He's a benevolent Titan who gave man fire.

Which is kinda funny, being that the Prometheus circut guards the frozen flame.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 06:19:24 pm »
Which has been repeatedly said since 2003 at least also.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 06:51:56 pm »
Which has been repeatedly said since 2003 at least also.

Whoops, guess I should have read the first couple of pages then. :lol:

GavenDrake

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 08:16:08 pm »
is there really such a sword called masamune in real life? is it one of a kind, or its a kind of sword? just wanna know  :D

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2006, 12:33:48 am »
Masamune was a Japanese sword smith. In legends, his swords had a spiritual power to only cut things that should be cut, thus unable to harm an innocent.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2006, 08:10:46 am »
I just realize that Kato likes to name some of his villains in terms of food flavorings. That is in the japanese version.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2006, 08:29:19 am »
I just realize that Kato likes to name some of his villains in terms of food flavorings. That is in the japanese version.
That's actually an habit of Toriyama, not Kato's. It's particularly noticeable in Dragon Ball: Pilaf, Vegeta, Tullece (Lettuce), Bardock, Garlic, ...there's even a Vinegar, but the only thing he shares with "Ozzie" is the name. Other Toriyama characters are named after objects (musical instruments, underwears, etc.).

Lavodox

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ignorance is to be whipped. -Franziska Von Karma
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 10:20:47 am »
hias is the most amazingly confusing topic I've ever encountered, but I hink that the guru's are based on the three magi who visited Jesus. Not the names...but the men themselves, but without all the gift giving and visiting...

Foxx

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 06:16:58 pm »
Mammon, actually, was a pagan god of wealth and corruption.

Mammon is also an old Danish word for money