Author Topic: I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare  (Read 12233 times)

chrono

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:30:28 pm »
Think about it.  When he was still a human, he talked normally.  When he was a frog, suddenly he talked as if he was Shakespeare himself.  Why?  Obviously Magus's magic had affected him more than just physically.  It affected him mentally as well.  Somehow the part of his brain that controls speech was warped, allowing an increase in intelligence and hence the ability to use Shakespearian language at will.  Now it all makes sense.

Beer Pope

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:45:59 pm »
An increase in intelligence?  It more likely just made him a little crazy.  He probably doesn't even realize he's talking like that.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:27:37 pm »
Maybe it's just his Froggy voicebox being unable to speak regularly or some comically asinine thing like that. Either way, it struck me as comic relief.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:12:48 pm »
I like the funky voicebox idea!  And it just makes him so cool...  Actually I cracked up when I saw a frog speaking Shakespearan.

Daniel Krispin

Re: I know why Frog talks like Shakespeare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 09:39:56 pm »
Quote from: chrono
Think about it.  When he was still a human, he talked normally.  When he was a frog, suddenly he talked as if he was Shakespeare himself.  Why?  Obviously Magus's magic had affected him more than just physically.  It affected him mentally as well.  Somehow the part of his brain that controls speech was warped, allowing an increase in intelligence and hence the ability to use Shakespearian language at will.  Now it all makes sense.

Speaking in that sort of archaic dialect doesn't mean he's got a higher intelligence. Heck, I could probably speak like that if I really bent my mind to it, and I know someone who's sixteen and could do that easily. Nor is it really Shakespeare. Shakespeare was 1600s, and has a lot of words and phrases that have lost or altered in meaning. All Frog does is use the archaic pronouns. However, those were in use even until the turn of the 20th century (even later, maybe), so it's not really THAT old a style. In fact, I think he uses very few of the words and, interestingly enough, uses them wrongly sometimes, though I can't remember exactly when. It's not hard, though, to replace you with thou in the subject case, and thee in the object (we still do the same with I and me, though admittedly people do often mix them up these days.) Your becomes thy or thine depending if a vowel follows or not. To here, to there, to where become hither, thither, and hither, while from here, from where, and from there become hence, whence, and thence. There are some other words that have fallen out of use that he makes use of, things like forthwith, etc. that I forget right now. But really, I'm reading a 1903 translation of Lucan's Civil War, and it's written in more archaic a fashion than Frog speaks. Heck, he doesn't even use words like 'wont', which was commonly used back then. I myself probably use more archaic words than Frog in fiction writing - I just don't use those archaic pronouns.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 11:12:28 pm »
We know from the flash backs that Glenn does not speak like Frog does. I think that might be the answer right there, and also an explanation for why Frog's use of archaic pronouns is less than perfect. It's an attempt to forge a new identity, or at least, hide the old one, so no one can figure out who he was. After all, who will connect Glenn, who speaks with a modern parlance, with a Frog who speaks in an archaic fashion?

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 12:05:44 am »
Insignificant but meh. Frog talks like a normal human being (Shakespeare is in all ways not normal) in that Frog vs. Magus ending. Probably an inconsistency in translation, but I still find this funny.

Well... I'd contribute Frog's weird speech pattern to translation, mainly. It's probably something Woosly chose to do to signify Glenn's chivalry and... stuff. If Frog's speech was unaffected right after he was cursed, it could have been his mental development. However, the change seems rather instant.

And uh, I'm not saying Woosly was a fool for doing that. I think it's a rather nifty trick he did. :)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:03:11 pm »
Quote from: sssssz
Insignificant but meh. Frog talks like a normal human being (Shakespeare is in all ways not normal) in that Frog vs. Magus ending. Probably an inconsistency in translation, but I still find this funny.

Well... I'd contribute Frog's weird speech pattern to translation, mainly. It's probably something Woosly chose to do to signify Glenn's chivalry and... stuff. If Frog's speech was unaffected right after he was cursed, it could have been his mental development. However, the change seems rather instant.

And uh, I'm not saying Woosly was a fool for doing that. I think it's a rather nifty trick he did. :)

I'd agree with that. He speaks as a true knight ought to. That's a cliche, of course, but much of Trigger is cliche. Thus, simplest explanation, it's as you say.

Oh, and truly Shakespeare is not normal... but Frog's speech was a few hundred years ago. Even as we still distinguish between I and me, it was common in speech to still use variant pronouns for you (you being relegated to the plural accusative or something like that), such as thee and thou. Some of the other peculiarities of speech were also once common. Heck, I still occassionally use the word wont, which has been out of common use for 80 years or so.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 04:17:12 pm »
Frog's huge tounge could have given him a speach impairment.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 07:26:02 pm »
That tongue thing is the best thing I have heard yet... Maybe his brain decreased (I mean those huge eyes... they have to take up some space) and he was impaired in modern vocab.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 08:18:23 pm »
I think Frog changed his accent to hide his identity.

supaaren

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supaaren.com
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 08:47:53 pm »
Hey, maybe he changed his speech style to impress Queen Leene.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 11:32:38 am »
The voluntary change to hide his identity is the most probable explanation. We know it's not an impairment because Frog can speak very normally, in the Frog vs. Magus ending for instance ("I gotta take care of some business...").

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 11:46:30 am »
I'm in agreance with the change of identity theory. If the knights or Leene or the King had figured out the Glenn was Frog then they would obviously ask about Cyrus. And losing your top knight in a war is a gigantic morale breaker. Frog most likely thought it would be bettter for the kingdom at that point if Cyrus was assumed not dead but still searching.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 01:30:04 am »
Do we know if there was an obvious speech change in the original Japanese text? I keep wondering if it was just another Woolsey-ism. Otherwise that voluntary mask is agreeably the most reasonable answer.