Author Topic: New layout issues?  (Read 3563 times)

Ramsus

New layout issues?
« on: May 02, 2006, 04:04:16 am »
If you're having trouble with the new layout, be sure to post a comment to this news post. Also, if you're new to the site, be sure to check out this page.

Oh, and my absolute favorite part of the new layout would be this:

(Check the bottom of every page on the site if you don't understand).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:18:03 am by Ramsus »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: New layout issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:34:03 am »
Too bad her head is covered by the Quick Reply box :roll: (and if someone says "then disable it!", I say "burn in hell")

Cooper

• Guardian (+100)
  • aka Lightningstrike
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:05:31 am »
 :D
Well I have no trouble with the new layout.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:12:08 am by Cooper »

Ramsus

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:30:14 am »
Too bad her head is covered by the Quick Reply box :roll: (and if someone says "then disable it!", I say "burn in hell")

I really don't want to add an extra 200 pixels of blank space to the bottom of forum pages, so she has to tough it with some of the lower bits of the forum layout from time to time...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:01:20 pm »
My only note is the size of the navigation bar boxes. The text within is a little small and they seem to be crammed over on the right. Nonetheless, I'm not sure how that could be fixed without compromising 800x600 resolution windows.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:16:37 pm »
My only note is the size of the navigation bar boxes. The text within is a little small and they seem to be crammed over on the right. Nonetheless, I'm not sure how that could be fixed without compromising 800x600 resolution windows.

There's still one button missing, but I can't add the page for it due to server problems. The idea is to create a triangle in the right corner. It'll line up pretty nicely too.

The real problem is the open space on the upper left. It throws the balance all off, causing the right to be over-emphasized. I'll probably have to redo that part. Also, the top of each page is too far from the center stripe of the logo.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:48:16 pm »
There's a small problem with preformated texts in 800x600. The <pre> text don't make a new line when it gets to the edge of the box, so it becomes cut. In the screenshot I made, "magic thrived" and "Mystics, right?" are hidden.

Not that I use a 800x600 screen though, but it's just that I like to nitpick :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 07:09:30 pm »
No problem with the new layout, exept for the fast that kid kinda cuts into some stuff in the forums.

BTW, could you make it display random characters from Trigger and Cross, instead of just Kid?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 04:17:51 am »
No problem with the new layout, exept for the fast that kid kinda cuts into some stuff in the forums.

BTW, could you make it display random characters from Trigger and Cross, instead of just Kid?
Bastard! :P Or do you mean each time you go on it changes?
Is it possible to change the characters at the top to Chrono Cross characters in a different layout? No offence to the artist...but...

Ramsus

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 04:25:38 am »
There's a small problem with preformated texts in 800x600. The <pre> text don't make a new line when it gets to the edge of the box, so it becomes cut. In the screenshot I made, "magic thrived" and "Mystics, right?" are hidden.

Not that I use a 800x600 screen though, but it's just that I like to nitpick :P

That's the default behavior of the pre tag. I forgot if there's a way to override it, but dammit. I've been out of this web design thing for too long. I used to know fixes for all of these things.

And I use 600-900 pixel wide browser windows. Only Windows makes browsing with huge, maximized windows feel normal, because the UI was designed around tiny screens.

Yeah, but I'm too lazy to make the images, and it'd add about 10kb to every page, since the browser wouldn't be able to cache all of the layout images once. Maybe I'll do something at the top instead.

Bastard! :P Or do you mean each time you go on it changes?
Is it possible to change the characters at the top to Chrono Cross characters in a different layout? No offence to the artist...but...

I'm assuming he means each time the page loads, there's a different character. It's easy to do with most of the site.

Ramsus

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 04:43:30 am »

Fixed. Since the pre-wrap CSS property doesn't seem to work in modern browsers yet, I've resorted to simply adding a scrollbar when a pre element gets too wide. It's ugly, but it's somewhat functional.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 05:31:11 am »
Thats one hell of a void you got down there Chrono Compendium :lee:
I know, I know, its our fault for pushing you :P

Namara

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 11:19:23 am »
I'm only experiencing one problem with the new layout.  Crono and the gang in the upper right hand corner cover up the button under links in the forum.  It seems to be fine everywhere else, though.  Just thought I'd make you aware of it. ;)

Ramsus

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 07:59:26 pm »
I'm only experiencing one problem with the new layout.  Crono and the gang in the upper right hand corner cover up the button under links in the forum.  It seems to be fine everywhere else, though.  Just thought I'd make you aware of it. ;)

Can I get a screenshot? Or at least your browser name/version and window size?

Namara

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 01:25:18 pm »
Here's a link to what it looks like.  I use Microsoft Internet Explorer.  I don't really know what tech specs you're looking for that could help, so just let me know.