Author Topic: Unused Cross Art revealed  (Read 2013 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Unused Cross Art revealed
« on: June 11, 2006, 03:28:52 pm »
Thanks to a Gamefaqs user named Blik, several pieces of art detailing unused Chrono Cross locations have come to the Compendium's attention. Specifically, these come from a GamePro guide to the game that was taken down; four images were rescued by way of the Wayback machine, though a few others were lost since they did not archive the first page. Three other images come from Yasuyuki's Honne blog (he is the artist of the Chrono series). Lastly, an advertisement for Monolith Soft and Xenosaga has been added that also featured his work; it strongly resembles the Cross style and Cape Howl in particular. I have added them to the Chrono Cross Beta page. Take a look and have fun wondering what these might have been used for. We could learn more if we could translate a couple paragraphs on Honne's blog; honestly, the Compendium really needs someone who can help with Japanese time to time.

joemomma

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Unused Cross Art revealed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 03:31:51 pm »
nice paintings

Julford

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:32:40 pm »
Figured I'd give my interpretation of the artwork...

Looking at the first picture of the Honne Blog in the 'Unused Art' section, it reminded me of a couple different spots in the game...

Left: Mount Pyre... Possibly an unused entrance?

Middle: Part of the El Nido Traingle (Underwater) area, perhaps?

Right: Seems familiar, but I can't quite place a location... Closest I can think of would be Fossil Valley between Termina and Arni, though it doesn't match that style to well...

Looking at the second one, I came up with another idea... It's the right portion of the above drawing, though reflected, and finished. It reminds me of the Isle of the Damned that way... Perhaps it could have been the potential entrance from when you landed on the Isle itself?

The third one strikes me as another potential entrance to Mount Pyre... Actually, it's a finished drawing of the left portion from drawing one!

Moving onto the GamePro guide material...

Picture #1: Seems like something that could come from the Isle of the Damned... The floorwork is similar, if not as red... Also, the bones jutting everywhere are similar to other areas of the Isle.

Picture #2: Only one that really baffles me... I can't think of where this belongs, at all...

Picture #3: A picture of either Guldove or Arni, it seems... There is a boat similar to Korcha's under the right-side building, but the Fisherman in Arni had one, as well... But I think only Guldove had the red banners that come down from the main building...

Picture #4: Finished artwork for the middle section of the Honne Blog's first artwork. Strikes me as being underwater, based on the plants shown, though nothing else hints at it (There's a cloud in the background, after all...)

Bah, my ideas might be worthless... Thought I'd add my idea, though...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:35:49 pm by Julford »

Level60undeadRouge

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:54:18 pm »
good stuff. Hey if you need any translations, i know a bit of japanese, so i can see what i can do for you.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 05:42:03 pm »
Interesting pics...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:06:15 pm by Chrono'99 »

Crazyswordsman

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Mayor of Booyaville
    • View Profile
    • Booyaville, circa 1000 AD
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 10:02:11 pm »
Interesting.  Those pics look like FFX pics a bit.  Maybe the FFX team stole from the CC team (and I wouldn't be surprised if they did considering they stole plot from BoFII). -CSM