Author Topic: Baten Kaitos  (Read 5782 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Baten Kaitos
« on: July 22, 2006, 01:42:04 pm »
Anyone played this cliched, little gem?

I thought it was an enjoyable RPG, besides having 'wooden' voice acting.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Baten Kaitos
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 01:45:28 pm »
No, but I heard that the backgrounds were done by the same artist who did Chrono Cross, but I can't remember his name.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 01:52:16 pm »
No, but I heard that the backgrounds were done by the same artist who did Chrono Cross, but I can't remember his name.

Yeah, I remember that, too...

I forgot his name as well, though >_<

But now that you mention it, it does look a lot like Cross... but better.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:40:55 am »
Mm, Baten Kaitos was pretty awesome. Looked wonderful too, graphics wise.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:13:09 am »
It looked great, but a little cliched, and very bad voice actors. They would be the only problems I have with the game.

The plot twist at the start of Disc 2 was very unique, I thought...

And the music composer, Motoi Sakuraba, done an excellent job.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:23:56 pm »
Music was great, art was good, but voices were shit, battle system was annoying, and I eventually gave up on one of the dungeons. I do want to go back and finish it at some point, but I just don't have the time for RPGs right now.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:21:50 am »
Music was great, art was good, but voices were shit, battle system was annoying, and I eventually gave up on one of the dungeons. I do want to go back and finish it at some point, but I just don't have the time for RPGs right now.

Which dungeon is that?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:06:20 am »
I've never played this game but I've heard it has "one of the most if not THE most surprising plot-twist ever".

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 11:18:26 am »
I've never played this game but I've heard it has "one of the most if not THE most surprising plot-twist ever".

Yeah, its at the beginning of Disc 2, but I won't spoil it for anyone. :D

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 02:48:59 am »

Which dungeon is that?

The one where there are the weights and scales, and one room is an Atari style 2d segment. I didn't like that at all.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 06:45:09 am »
Actually, that one came to mind when you mentioned an annoying dungeon. I hated it too. I would recommend using a walkthrough to get through that part.

Rufus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • TheInfantCannon
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 04:56:37 pm »

You know you can turn voices off, right?  I did it after about half an hour of play, and it makes the game all the more enjoyable.  :D

And as the justification for bumping this old thread, I'm obsessed with this game.  The battle system is so unique, with crazy combo cards changing and popping up when you string together things just right.  I'm currently in the castle that you have to sneak into after killing the imperial beetle.  The story hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll pick up soon.

The artwork and music are incredible, though.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 06:27:48 pm »

You know you can turn voices off, right?  I did it after about half an hour of play, and it makes the game all the more enjoyable.  :D

And as the justification for bumping this old thread, I'm obsessed with this game.  The battle system is so unique, with crazy combo cards changing and popping up when you string together things just right.  I'm currently in the castle that you have to sneak into after killing the imperial beetle.  The story hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll pick up soon.

The artwork and music are incredible, though.

I've gotten quite taken with it again, myself. After watching videos of the prequel, Baten Kaitos Origins, I felt like playing this again.

The battle system is good fun, methinks! Try getting 1-9 or vice-versa lined up in a row to get Sunset/Sunrise bonuses! But you won't be able to do that till near the game's end. Also, I think it isn't fair that only Kalas gets the Spiritual Attacks. (The randomly-appearing attacks like Hellfire and Lingering Time)

I'm just past that castle in my 2nd game. The story gets real interesting at the beginning of Disc 2. Disc 1 is very short, by the way, but you'll see later on.

As for the music, it was done by composing genius Motoi Sakuraba. He does wonderful pieces, like Star Ocean III's Cutting Edge of Notion.

And the artwork is done by Chrono Cross' artist.

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 10:55:10 am »
Yeah I played it a few weeks ago(and finished it).

It's cool, and a lot of good points where mentioned.
To the things I didn't like: I hated(really hated) the last boss, this bitch had 2 attacks ~ 3k damage, any none of my chars had over 6.000 HP. With luck my last char (Savyna) killed him with remaining 2000 HP.
 I also hated the tower with the pushing blocks puzzle(the part where you have to go downstairs). It was just annoying(if you didn't know you can ram a block with another one and it would still move on).
Oh, and these fights were really, really long. It just took ages to beat a group of 3.
And the rewards for the family tree sidequest were jokes(I didn't get the last one, because he wasn't where a walkthrough told me he is, and it was the only time I used it), I mean, were there really goodf things you couldn't get by fighting an enemy?

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I don't get why the hell you could talk to these fishes(I talked to everyone of them I could, though). Running gag?
Is there anything special when you get all starcards or whatever they are called?
Never got a 9er combo...damn.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 12:21:49 pm »
Yeah I played it a few weeks ago(and finished it).

It's cool, and a lot of good points where mentioned.
To the things I didn't like: I hated(really hated) the last boss, this bitch had 2 attacks ~ 3k damage, any none of my chars had over 6.000 HP. With luck my last char (Savyna) killed him with remaining 2000 HP.
 I also hated the tower with the pushing blocks puzzle(the part where you have to go downstairs). It was just annoying(if you didn't know you can ram a block with another one and it would still move on).
Oh, and these fights were really, really long. It just took ages to beat a group of 3.
And the rewards for the family tree sidequest were jokes(I didn't get the last one, because he wasn't where a walkthrough told me he is, and it was the only time I used it), I mean, were there really goodf things you couldn't get by fighting an enemy?

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I don't get why the hell you could talk to these fishes(I talked to everyone of them I could, though). Running gag?
Is there anything special when you get all starcards or whatever they are called?
Never got a 9er combo...damn.

The block puzzle is HELL. I hate it, too.

And those 'fish' you talk to are called Greythornes. Depending on how many you talk to, they change the ending. Also, if you talk nice to your Guardian Spirit, or whatever, it changes the ending, too.

Getting all Magnus cards...Dunno what that does.

For finishing the constellation sidequest, you get a cool card, though. It changes every few hours in a cycle - so you can basically decide how to use it, if you have the patience. And I did hear that the reward for the family tree sidequest sucked.