Author Topic: Moving to USA. Just a few Questions about Highschool and other stuff ^^  (Read 5997 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to USA. Just a few Questions about Highschool and other stuff ^^
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2006, 04:10:25 pm »
Well, the advice I'd give to anyone about school behavior is:

Stand up for your dudes. If someone screws with your dudes, stand up for them, and they will stand up for you as well. Do not take shit from no one, but do not give shit either. If you respect people, people will respect you. Do not go around picking up fights, but if someone screws around with you, go for it verbally or, if necessary, physically. Do not fear, if you get beaten up have in mind that it plays an important part in growing up. Chances that you will win or lose are always 50%. In everything. Be cunning, do not let the guilt fall in your hands for stuff you didn't start off. Do not start stuff off.

Have lots of fun =] School times are the times in which you have the most freedom to have fun and do stuff you like.

Then again, things are pretty different here at Brazil, but human behavior generally follows a predictable pattern when in similar groups. So, whatever =]

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2006, 04:12:02 pm »
Lord J Esq. Presents:
A Lord J Esq. Presentation

Grey_the_angel and Ramsus Star in:
The Young and the Restless

Well, I'm moving to North America soon, and since I'm totally clueless about how it works, I thought some American Chrono lovers fill me out or help me out a bit XD

(G)et into one fight. prove your a bad enough dude to whip people's asses, and basically no one will fuck with you.

Except in most schools, you have to be pretty pathetic to begin with before anyone bothers you (or part of a gang, or cheating with someone...), so the only way to get into a fight is to start shit yourself.

I never said start shit with anybody I said get into a fight.

Don't assume the rest of the world works like the messed up shithole you crawled out of, because it doesn't. Most schools don't resemble yours. Recklessly give advice as though they do, and of course you'll be misunderstood.

I didn't take shit from corse blockheads who did want to fuck with me. So tell ya what ramsus, get a knife pull on you. Take the damn thing in the arm. Then tell me to just use words. Till then, Don't fucking judge me.

If some dipshit physically threatened me or even tried pushing me around, I wouldn't hesitate to kill the bastard. ... That's why standing up for yourself doesn't usually mean using violence.

Will Grey fuck, or be fucked with--and is there any difference? Will Ramsus kill another bastard in the name of nonviolence? Will Zaperking truly fit in!? Tune in tomorrow as our saga continues, in this stark and passionate world of...The Young and the Restless!

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:00 pm »
I never said start shit with anybody I said get into a fight. meaning take down the first person who does give you shit. once again, I never once said anything about starting anything.

and this might surprise you as well, but guess what: some school actually do require a tough hide to live through. Personally, It was a joke either way, so I don't give a shit, but don't automatically go throwing around the idea of me being an asshole just because. did you go to my school? no. did you ever get a knife pulled on you for refusing to move? no. Did you ever have to go after an ENTIRE gang one by one because they jumped you? no.

I didn't take shit from corse blockheads who did want to fuck with me. So tell ya what ramsus, get a knife pull on you. Take the damn thing in the arm. Then tell me to just use words. Till then, Don't fucking judge me.

Except in most schools, you have to be pretty pathetic to begin with before anyone bothers you (or part of a gang, or cheating with someone...), so the only way to get into a fight is to start shit yourself.

Don't assume the rest of the world works like the messed up shithole you crawled out of, because it doesn't. Most schools don't resemble yours. Recklessly give advice as though they do, and of course you'll be misunderstood.

I only copied your little "might surprise you" sentence structure because guess what: it doesn't fucking surprise me one bit. And guess what else: it's pretty fucking annoying that anyone could be so pretentious. Do you honestly think Zaperking is moving to a school like yours? Do you honestly think that all of us aren't aware that some schools are little more than daytime prisons? Do you honestly believe that not being outright violent all of the time means being a passive little pussy who lets himself get walked all over?

Also, I never suggested you "just use words" (which, BTW, is pretty stupid advice BZ) or made you out to be an asshole. Learn to fucking read.

If some dipshit physically threatened me or even tried pushing me around, I wouldn't hesitate to kill the bastard. But you know what? That never happens to most people. It never happened to me in high school. That's why standing up for yourself doesn't usually mean using violence. It means standing your ground and not letting some asshole push you around. Maybe that always escalates to violence where you come from, but in most places it usually doesn't.

You know what, forget this, I'm not getting into a fight with you or zeality over a fucking joke post you two took serious. I'm just gonna leave you too to look like retards.

Ramsus

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2006, 05:31:29 pm »
You know what, forget this, I'm not getting into a fight with you or zeality over a fucking joke post you two took serious. I'm just gonna leave you too to look like retards.

So you're not advising him to get into at least one fight? Joke or not, it certainly didn't read like you didn't mean it, and God forbid someone call you on some stupid advice.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 05:35:50 pm »
Lord J Esq. Presents:
A Lord J Esq. Presentation

Will Grey fuck, or be fucked with--and is there any difference? Will Ramsus kill another bastard in the name of nonviolence? Will Zaperking truly fit in!? Tune in tomorrow as our saga continues, in this stark and passionate world of...The Young and the Restless!
You had better continue this! That was ingenious.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2006, 06:35:54 pm »
Smashing . . .

Anywho, go about your own business Zappy. Use your mouth and not your martial abilities. If a fight can be avoided, then do it. Just walk away, it's as simple as that. Don't involve yourself with any fight or participate in anything on the line. Once you are at the end of your Sophomore year and start getting into your Junior and Senior years, then you can throw around the ideas in your head of if you want to try and break up a fight (which I don't recommend) and standing up with your friends over an issue (the issude presented will probably not be logical, however it may be unavoidable, which could make your friends turn against you for not sticking with them). Just remember to select your friends carefully... :)

Like I said, the key is Respect. The Respect skill will acquire you various friends whose friends are just about friends with everyone else . . . if you get my drift.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 05:08:44 am »
Are schools in USA and schools in Australia really that different in which you have to tell Zaperking (Zappy...eugh) advice you'd give to a kid just starting Junior High?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2006, 05:30:41 am »
I think it is a testament more to the grain of the Compendium community--or at least those who have posted in this thread--than to any inherent attributes of our schools.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 10:52:20 am »
Are schools in USA and schools in Australia really that different in which you have to tell Zaperking (Zappy...eugh) advice you'd give to a kid just starting Junior High?

Hell yeah they are different =.= God, i'm getting confused with this whole credit system and AP shit.

So I was looking at the School districts curriculum and I want to choose my courses. Now, they don't have math or science. What they have it like for Math, you can choose Calculus (WTF is that) or Algebra/Trigonomy (enter lvl here) and for Science you either do Biology, Chemistry or Physics, or Introduction to Chemistry/Physics. It's like you can't do both and stuff.

The next big problem is that with stuff like Calculus and Algebra, they have different levels. Like lvl 3/4 etc for 10th graders. And it doesn't explain what it covers because I may have already covered it, and I might aswell try out Calculus =.=

I need to do English (i'll take that as AP), hard math that covers like everything that needs to be covered, but isn't excessive for a reason that I would never use it. I need Physics, and Chemisty and Biology, World History, some PE thing and I think i'll do computer science/programming or technology.

If anyone can explain to me how the subjects layout works (how many you can have etc) and what the credits do to me and how ones GPA is gained, please do explain.
http://curriculum.bsd405.org/Document%20Library/BSD_HS_Catalog06.pdf << Is the website of the curriculum with the subject planner on page 10.

Also, what is Homecoming and Prom all about?

Thanks >.<
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:56:18 am by Zaperking »

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:45 am »
In some cases, try not to look important! You don't want to get attention from scums of the neighborhood...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2006, 01:51:23 pm »
Homecoming and Prom are basically School dances.  Homecoming is a Parade then I think a dance at like 10:00 to 12:00 dance or something for us.  Prom is a School dance for Sophomores and up for us.  They're kinda fun.

Ramsus

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2006, 03:55:09 pm »

Hell yeah they are different =.= God, i'm getting confused with this whole credit system and AP shit.

So I was looking at the School districts curriculum and I want to choose my courses. Now, they don't have math or science. What they have it like for Math, you can choose Calculus (WTF is that) or Algebra/Trigonomy (enter lvl here) and for Science you either do Biology, Chemistry or Physics, or Introduction to Chemistry/Physics. It's like you can't do both and stuff.

The next big problem is that with stuff like Calculus and Algebra, they have different levels. Like lvl 3/4 etc for 10th graders. And it doesn't explain what it covers because I may have already covered it, and I might aswell try out Calculus =.=

I need to do English (i'll take that as AP), hard math that covers like everything that needs to be covered, but isn't excessive for a reason that I would never use it. I need Physics, and Chemisty and Biology, World History, some PE thing and I think i'll do computer science/programming or technology.

If anyone can explain to me how the subjects layout works (how many you can have etc) and what the credits do to me and how ones GPA is gained, please do explain.
http://curriculum.bsd405.org/Document%20Library/BSD_HS_Catalog06.pdf << Is the website of the curriculum with the subject planner on page 10.

Also, what is Homecoming and Prom all about?

Thanks >.<

Make a list of the credit requirements for graduation based on the information they gave you, then start planning your classes based on that. The guide tells you how much credit each class gives you and in what area, so figure out what classes you have to take between now and graduation. Then you should have leftover elective credit to play with.

For example, you need 2.0 Physical Education credits, so take PE for 2 years. You'll need 1 Fine Arts credit, so take Music or Art class for a year.

The first thing you'll want to do though is ask how your credits from your last school transfer over. 10th grade is the second year of high school, so you should already have some credits, or else you'll get to be there an extra year or so.

GPA is calculated based on your grades. To figure it out:

For each class you've taken in high school, multiply the number of credit hours the class is worth by the grade you got (A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0), then add everything together. Divide by the total number of credit hours you've earned, and that's your GPA. It should be between 0 and 4.

Don't bother calculating in weighted grades for AP/IB classes: That'll affect your class rank, but your official GPA that gets printed on your transcript won't be weighted. The real benefit in AP/IB classes is taking the exams and earning college credit, since you can rack up a year and a half of college credit hours if you wanted to. Saves a ton in housing expenses, and you don't have to wade through as many boring general education requirements when you get to college.

Also, beginning Calculus is mostly limits, derivatives, and integration. If that sounds familiar, take the hardest one you can. Otherwise, make sure you've finished Algebra and taken Trigonometry (sin, cos, tan, complex numbers, etc.) before tackling Calculus, or you'll really be hurting when you start doing derivatives and integrals of trig functions.

Homecoming is when the football team returns. Go watch the game, attend any special events/dances, and look for some cool parties.

Prom is a big dance, often for just Seniors and those they've invited to go with them, but some places allow underclassmen to attend. Find out more and consider asking someone out. You only have so many social events you can attend in high school, so make them count.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2006, 08:07:08 pm »
Just a quick note Zappy...

If you take AP English, be prepared to do A LOT of work.

Also, consider events like the Junior Prom, and Senior Ball, absolutely futile at the moment. These are just special dances/get-togethers that drain your wallet and bank account. I do not suggest going by yourself to events like these or stag, translated in english as going by yourself, to events like these. You would be sitting by yourself watching everyone else have a good time. Though, when I went with this Thai Land/Laos/Cambodia chick, I thought of the whole thing as boring while at times we did slow dance and do stuff (boring) . . . but she blew me off a week after Prom was over.

I spent well over $500 for a tux, stuff for her, and other accomodations. I suggest not worrying about events such as dances, just yet. Like I said, get involved first and check your options and status later. There will be time for plenty of planning in the future...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2006, 08:23:41 pm »
Disregard everything Magus22 just said and go. It seems unimportant now, but you will want to have attended as much as possible later on. I almost missed out on my senior prom; I would have regretted this on a frightening scale.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:12:06 pm by ZeaLitY »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2006, 11:06:29 pm »
I am sure there will be normal dances, not just formal ones. See, here, the junior dances are like 10 bucks, while the Yr10 end formal is about 500, and the Yr12...well, probably more.