Poll

Do the males here find this pciture offensive?

Yeah
1 (7.1%)
Nah, moit
13 (92.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Are Boys Stupid?: Sexism Debate  (Read 4056 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Are Boys Stupid?: Sexism Debate
« on: August 11, 2006, 10:59:13 pm »
Ha, I bet you'd think this was some debate about some research that tried to prove that boys were stupider than girls. Well, no.

Do you think that is offensive?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Are Boys Stupid?: Sexism Debate
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:07:22 pm »
I presume you're referring to the Republican meme now spreading the globe that girls' gains in school are pushing boys into decline. That theory is just another Christian hit job against the feminist movement, and has even been scientifically discredited, as outlined in this Washington Post article. Further commentary is available at the Huffington Post, which dissects the issue.

The bottom line is that boys are not suffering; in fact boys are doing better in school. It's just that girls are doing much better. That's got nothing to do with anybody's gender. It is a cultural phenomenon that has logically ensued from the prevailing gender roles as they are interpreted by members of society.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 12:35:55 am »
God, if that offends you, you're either naively sensitive or overtly sexist. Boys and girls are capable of the same amount of lying, treachery, deceit, blackmail, and vice.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 01:54:51 am »
I presume you're referring to the Republican meme now spreading the globe that girls' gains in school are pushing boys into decline. That theory is just another Christian hit job against the feminist movement, and has even been scientifically discredited, as outlined in this Washington Post article. Further commentary is available at the Huffington Post, which dissects the issue.

The bottom line is that boys are not suffering; in fact boys are doing better in school. It's just that girls are doing much better. That's got nothing to do with anybody's gender. It is a cultural phenomenon that has logically ensued from the prevailing gender roles as they are interpreted by members of society.
Just quoting, not agreeing, or disagreeing:

"LA-based radio host and men's rights activist Glenn Sacks initiated a campaign against the T-shirts in 2004. He claims that they are part of a general societal mood that stigmatizes and victimizes boys"

Remember, this is boys not males. A boy saying girls are stupid or vice versa has totally different meaning than a male saying all females are stupid (well, thats if the boy meant girls specifically, and didn't say it to cover the entire female species).

I should go to another forum and see if the females there found a humourous anti-girls sign offensive. Now to find one.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 02:04:48 am »
This is just the old Susie Derkins 'boys are immature and stupid' rivalry with the Calvin 'get rid of slimy girls' club. Immature, but not offensive.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 07:47:25 am »
If you're noticed, a lot of girls in schools are really dumb. The ones that want guys to like them don't bother studying or just act stupid. Look at Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson (she acts stupid though). Then theres the ones that are just stupid and try and act cute. Then we have the feminists that think they're better than the guys when they're not and shit cuz they're like the former. And then we have the really smart asian/russian girls that are disciplined, but hate having to study.

I think it's the fact that back in the olden days, girls didn't get educated, and the ones that did proved that they could be educated and hence were very smart.

Boys on the other hand could get an education, but refused it.

Anyway, these days, we have those sporty boys that are kind of ignorant and arrigant. Then dumb nerds, the ravers (who don't know shit but say they do to get you down), the self absorbed bunch and those smart stuck up people. And the best are the quiet types that are smart xD Theyre usually picked on though.

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:57:17 am »
Boys has physical strength & predative cunning that most girls don't have while girls has charm & organizational skills that most boys don't have. To make it short, Boys has something that girls didn't have & girls has something that boy didn't have.

God created us equal & no gender is above other gender. This idea of "Girls are stupid" or "Boys are stupid" is an old stereotype that goes on since time immemorial.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 09:30:29 am »
Lord J is gunna come and put a cap in yo' ass now.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 04:13:56 pm »
All these posts have just reiterated that males and females have the same capacity for good and evil; stupidity and intelligence. There is a point in the intellect's development in which gender roles are transcended. You can't get locked in stereotypes.

Rat

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 06:13:06 pm »
If you're noticed, a lot of girls in schools are really dumb. The ones that want guys to like them don't bother studying or just act stupid. Look at Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson (she acts stupid though). Then theres the ones that are just stupid and try and act cute. Then we have the feminists that think they're better than the guys when they're not and shit cuz they're like the former. And then we have the really smart asian/russian girls that are disciplined, but hate having to study.

I think it's the fact that back in the olden days, girls didn't get educated, and the ones that did proved that they could be educated and hence were very smart.

Boys on the other hand could get an education, but refused it.

Anyway, these days, we have those sporty boys that are kind of ignorant and arrigant. Then dumb nerds, the ravers (who don't know shit but say they do to get you down), the self absorbed bunch and those smart stuck up people. And the best are the quiet types that are smart xD Theyre usually picked on though.

You're trying to rely too heavily on putting people into little well defined groups. Meeting some people within a group and actually getting to know them usually disproves a lot of what you wrote. Pretty much all you wrote comes down to that females are stupid or would prefer being stupid, because you just said that none of them study, and that if they do, they hate it and do it grudgingly against their will because they are disciplined. When you possibly go into describing males, you mention nothing of study habits in comparison. And then of those groups you could be talking about females as well anyways, because you only really specify gender the once with "sporty boys."

Honestly, trying to weigh things by gender, I haven't observed very many differences as far as studying and the importance of education goes to individuals. I have met both males and females who study hard and take school seriously, have met of both genders those who shirk education at every moment and yet are still intelligent, have met of both genders those who drop out of HS. Gender does not seem to heavily play into a person's intellect.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 06:38:55 pm »
If only things were defined by gender, the world would be so much easier. Then people can't complain that they don't have oppurtunities.

Anyway, half of that post was stereotism that I saw at my school, at any rate.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 07:17:51 pm »
Rat seems to have covered my point quite nicely. There shall be no bustin' today.

Rat

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Impersonal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 01:42:43 am »
If only things were defined by gender, the world would be so much easier. Then people can't complain that they don't have oppurtunities.

Anyway, half of that post was stereotism that I saw at my school, at any rate.

I don't know, I would much rather be defined by my personality than by my gender.

Stereotism!!!

Stereotism! :D

I'm sorry. I'll go hide in my box now.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 04:27:31 am »
You do that.

Another thing, that poster calls for violence. Oooh, a HATE CRIME.

the guru of cabbages

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 09:28:29 am »
While i as a boy am offensed by this topic, the answer is :
Yes. Boy's are stupid.