Author Topic: Final Fantasy XII  (Read 4167 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XII
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2007, 09:37:33 pm »
What I feel about FFXII's plot is that, differently from every other FF title I've played, it doesn't put you in the absolute center of the plot: you're just one piece among the many pieces of a greater puzzle.

Yes, it doesn't give you the immediate donwright epic feeling that the whole plot revolves around you, but somehow it feels more appropriate to FFXII's setting. I mean, most any other FF title had its setting and plot set around a determined cast of caracters. Now, Ivalice was already a living world even before FFXII's creation, so it would be impossible to make everything revolve among the main characters without ruining the already existing setting.

I find it awesome that square actually made the characters as perfectly believable people from Ivalice's fantastic setting, there is nothing about a "messiah" group of heroes to save the world of your "larger-than-life" enemy. It's a group of people caught in a larger plot filled with differing parties and who just have to play their part in said plot.

This change of scope is also one of the things that makes FFXII so specially refreshing and innovative. It's nice not being in the center of the universe once in a while.

Mixmasta_K

• Porrean (+50)
  • T H I N K
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 11:36:17 am »
I've been playing since December and still am up to my chest in side quests. I know already that once I finish the storyline, I'll have at least another 20 hours of shiz to do.

I gotta agree that the story could be less shallow and to have all the characters other than Balthier have more developed personalities(Bathier has more than enough for everyone at times). Ashe is a robot, true story. xD

The game play I must admit is my new alternative to random battles. It just works in a much less monotonous way than just setting the cursor to memory and smashing the confirm button to oblivion. I took the time to clear out the liscence grid early, and use no other accessory than the embroidered tippet(doubles EXP) the whole time. Still not at level 99, but I got a lot of stuff I wasn't supposed to at earlier times. Gambits are ok, but there aren't enough to make something really foolproof; it's probably better that way, since I'm always on my feet.

What I like most about this game? The FFVI references. This is the first FF I've played (I never touched 9, 11 or anything under 6) where most of the names, references, etc. come from VI. Oh, and if you find this one Bangaa in Rabanastre, he makes a "Spoony Bard" reference! xD 

Oh, and yes; this game crushes most other FF's, except for VI. Being a SNESRPG retrofreak, NOTHING can beat the 2-D classics. :P

nurobo13

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 10:31:20 pm »
meh I beat the game and its alright(top notch gameplay). The story never really felt that good to me though( it picks up like 90% into the game).

Jonathan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 11:26:22 am »
I have'nt played any of the older FF's but i've played FF X and now I'm playing FF X-2. my freind said that the only place you can find the oldr ones is on ebay or used at pawnshops an such. :(

A little off topic:
You could always buy Final Fantasy Chronicle and Anthology.

I really want to play FinalFantasy XII but I don't have my PS2.  =(
An old friend of mine borrowed it and never gave it back...   
Oh well I'll just stick to Battlefield 2142 for now.

MODERATOR EDIT: Advocating illegal activities isn't nice.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 12:20:10 am by Radical_Dreamer »