Author Topic: Why not release the retranslation as a WIP(Work In Progress)?  (Read 5885 times)

arpgme

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Why not release the retranslation as a WIP(Work In Progress)?
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:36:19 am »
Why not release the retranslation as a WIP(Work In Progress) and just keep updating it? This way people can at least start making the patch rather than waiting for the translation then waiting even longer for the patch.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Why not release the retranslation as a WIP(Work In Progress)?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 02:38:39 pm »
If you know people who want to make the patch, by all means tell us. Otherwise, we're sort of in the dark about that.

but2002

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Death Omen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 03:00:50 pm »
If I had teh time I SERIOUSLY might consider starting that kind of project.

arpgme

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:37:11 pm »
I plan to start the project so can you email me what you have so far of the retranslation?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 07:42:30 pm »
What do you plan to use to pull this off? And how will you get around the space limitations?

arpgme

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 12:44:57 am »
Most likely I will be editing the CTrom and releasing it as a retranslation. I will use Temporal Flux because it is the easiest way to edit CT. As for the space limitations, don't worry about it. I'm sure I can get around it somehow probably with Chrono Tool.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:06:36 am »
I've got to explore options with that.

At any rate, there are two dialogue packets and one small dialogue packet (the main ending) remaining for translation. Then it's up to me to unleash the passion of youth and arrange the script in the order of the old one. This will be released alongside the unarranged script, which will remain in the order of the dialogue packets in the ROM. The Translation Differences article will be released, and two versions of each script (one annotated, one not) will also debut.

arpgme

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 03:02:11 pm »
So when do you think it'll be done?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 03:06:16 pm »
The script, maybe the end of February or middle of March. The retranslation depends on Chronotools. I dislike command line program without much documentation, so I'll try to get all the help I can with that.

Brohaz

• Iokan (+1)
  • http://www.scott-bloom.com
    • View Profile
    • AntacidCorp Studios
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 08:58:43 pm »
So when do you think it'll be done?

It'll get done when it gets done. Besides, I'd rather go through the retranslation as a whole, not an incomplete piece. I don't mean to sound rude, but please lock this topic.

PrincessNadia

• Iokan (+1)
  • Stats maxed out, and ready to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 07:13:43 am »
Eagerly awaiting this. I'm just finishing up typing out my transcription of CT, and it'll be interesting to see what was REALLY said.

DarknessSavior

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:41 am »
I'm actually working on a retranslation of CT (see romhacking.net, "Chrono Trigger Redux"). I was told that I could find a table for the Japanese version of the game here, any truth to that?

I have a kana-only version of the table that I was able to figure out on my own, but I can't seem to figure out the Kanji. >.<

Oh, here's some details about the project:

- I'll be doing the basic hacking stuff (mostly text replacement, messing with the compression once I learn to work around it better, and such).
- Suzaku (also from the RHDN boards, www.studiollama.com has some of his projects) will be doing the translations.
- Taarna32 might be doing graphics work, depending on whether or not we really need one. She'll also be designing the English font for the game.

As far as naming/wording issues go, a few decisions have been made:

- Magus' name will remain as it is, for humans. All monsters will refer to Magus as "Demon King" or "Demon King Magus".
- Marle's name will stay as it is. I've heard that in the Japanese version once you figure out she's royalty, they add "dia" to her name. If that's true, that's what we'll do.
- Ozzie, Slash, and Flea will be changed to Vinega, Soyso and Mayone.
- "MOM" (referencing to Crono's mom) will be changed to "Gina", as per the original.

Check out the readme on my current release. It explains all that was done for that, it was all done by me, using the English version of the ROM, just to show that what I want done is possible, and I am capable of hacking it myself. The finished translation (which might take QUITE a long time to finish) will be done on the Japanese version of the ROM. ^_^

~DS

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:03:58 pm »
- Suzaku (also from the RHDN boards, www.studiollama.com has some of his projects) will be doing the translations.
Why retranslate the game again? The Compendium retranslation is already nearly finished.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=2761.msg67143#msg67143

DarknessSavior

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 02:10:25 pm »
By "retranslation", do they mean they actually plan on hacking the game, or just releasing a retranslated script? If they plan on hacking the game, are there any screenshots of progress or anything?

I actually plan on hacking the translation INTO the game.

~DS

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 02:29:50 pm »
The Compendium's releasing a script. But you, you're planning on reading the Japanese text and having it translated again so you can put it in your game.