Author Topic: Why not release the retranslation as a WIP(Work In Progress)?  (Read 6232 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Why not release the retranslation as a WIP(Work In Progress)?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 03:37:35 pm »
If you want to put it into the game after we released the script in a month or a month and a half, then by all means you're welcome to hack it in (if it works; otherwise, we'll have to use Chronotools). I haven't really consulted with JLukas to see if he has any wish concerning the method of creating a real ROM hack translation yet.

At any rate, KWhazit is an excellent translator. To be honest, back on the old system of taking contributions from multiple people, the quality wasn't that great at all. The lines they completed were replaced by KWhazit's anyway, and most of their test runs on a complicated Spekkio line to sign up for the project failed to convey the meaning properly. I couldn't ask for better help in KWhazit; in addition, he's been translating with the intent to preserve the original as closely as possible. So we aren't going to have to worry about Dejap changing sisters into clones in the plot or that kind of thing. Chrono Trigger fans are really getting lucky with this little project.

DarknessSavior

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 09:44:14 am »
Well, I did take a look at KWhazit's site. I was fairly impressed, but that's mostly because I barely know Japanese. However, I was thrown off by the fact that he calls "Soyso" "Soy Sauce". His name in the Japanese game is just that, Soyso. It alludes to the pun of Soy Sauce, but is not the full blown name. Kinda like the puns that Akira Toriyama used for the Dragon Ball characters.

But uh, I just got a GREAT translator on board to do this, and I'd prefer to start from scratch, as opposed to using someone else's script.

Still, does anyone around here have a table for the Japanese version? I still am unaware of how to find Kanji for tables. -_-

~DS

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 02:00:49 pm »
There are Japanese tables in the Japanese script dump. Look iin the game scripts section of this site.

DarknessSavior

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 03:24:56 pm »
You sure? I checked the script dump and it doesn't have a table in it.

You know what I mean by "table" right? As in a romhacking table?

~DS

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 04:03:54 pm »
Yes, I do. While it's not a .tbl file, there's a list of what the hex values mean at the bottom of the Japanese Script Dump.
A small snippet:
22=って

23=……。

24=人間

25=った

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 05:53:12 pm »
Wait, Kwhazit is using Soy Sauce?? DarknessSavior is right, as far as I know it should indeed be Soyso (and Mayonay or something like that).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 12:02:04 am »
Ozzie is Binega, or Vinegar. KWhazit has interpreted the other names to be representative of their full names, mostly because the Japanese probably didn't see a need to tack on unwieldy Roman pronunciations to Soyso and Mayone (Mayonezu) or something. It's not a biggy.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 12:07:48 am »
Is he having the others stick to their original names as well, such as Frog being Kaeru, Marle turning into Marledia, the Gurus turning into Sages wif different names, and so on? Or does this only apply to Magus' generals?

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:55 am »
Frog is still Frog, Magus is still Magus (because he couldn't come up with a good, smooth alternate translation), Marle is still Marle. Marle's real name ("Nadia" in the NA version) is Marledia in his translation. The Gurus will be Sages.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 01:27:22 am »
A separate, comprehensive name guide is going to be released with the script.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 02:01:25 am »
Oh, okay. Well, in that case, all we have to do now is wait for it to be released so we can start ROM hacking and all that.

DarknessSavior

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 02:15:11 pm »
Ozzie is Binega, or Vinegar. KWhazit has interpreted the other names to be representative of their full names, mostly because the Japanese probably didn't see a need to tack on unwieldy Roman pronunciations to Soyso and Mayone (Mayonezu) or something. It's not a biggy.

I checked the in-game spelling. It is actually Soyso, Mayone, and Binega. In the retranslation we're doing, the first two will stay the same, and we'll call Ozzie "Vinega". The puns are there for a reason, just as they were in DBZ and such.

Is he having the others stick to their original names as well, such as Frog being Kaeru, Marle turning into Marledia, the Gurus turning into Sages wif different names, and so on? Or does this only apply to Magus' generals?

When it comes to Frog, Kaeru literally translates to "Frog" or "to change" (or so I've been told). Since Frog fits, I'd just stick with that, most English speaking people wouldn't get the pun of Kaeru.

Marle (as far as I know) doesn't get the "dia" tacked on until after you learn she is a princess. I have yet to play that far in the Japanese version to check for the authenticity of that claim. However, if that is the case, I think we'll probably end up tacking on the dia as well (I think it's actually an in-game mechanic, if you were to name Marle, "Angel". The game would end up calling her "Angeldia". Just like there is an in-game mechanic for Ayla's shortening of the main characters name, "Kurono" to "Kuro").

Frog is still Frog, Magus is still Magus (because he couldn't come up with a good, smooth alternate translation), Marle is still Marle. Marle's real name ("Nadia" in the NA version) is Marledia in his translation. The Gurus will be Sages.

When it comes to Magus, I think there are plenty of CT fans (including myself) who love the name. However, in the Japanese version he is referred to as "Ma-ou" or "Demon King". However, to get a good combination of the two, we will be calling him Magus, but when he is evil, monsters will refer to him as "Demon King Magus". ^_^

~DS

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 02:18:39 pm »
Do you now know where the Japanese table for CT is? Or have my posts not helped you at all?
And it's pretty hard to talk to you about this when you only come here once a day.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 03:44:24 pm by Vehek »

DarknessSavior

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 09:10:58 am »
Yeah, I found it. I'm still gonna try to figure out the table on my own, but if it gets really frustrating, I took a copy of the file.

Sorry about only posting here once a day or so. I don't have internet at home, so I'm either posting from college or from my local library. Thus, my times are limited and pretty sporadic. >.<

Anyways, as far as our translation goes, I just dumped all the lists except for one (enemies), and I sent them to my translator. He's very excited to start work, and I expect that it should be done fairly soon. ^_^

~DS

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 11:31:36 am »
Jesus, get him to help us contact Masato Kato before that...KWhazit is putting the final touches on the script, and then all the fanfare goes to us. It just seems a little superfluous to do another translation when so much other material is waiting, like the Prerelease script or interviews with the Chrono Trigger Dream Team.