Poll

Should we stop having children to support the VHEMT?

Yes, it's a good cause
0 (0%)
Nope
5 (71.4%)
VHEMT my ass, don't have children because they'll suck the life out of ya
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Should we voulantarily phase out the human race?  (Read 1523 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Should we voulantarily phase out the human race?
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:35:01 am »
I was reading up at this website called VHEMT. It spoke of the need to stop having children. By ending the continuance of humanity, you'll probably end the suffering of millions of other species of organisms, without hurting any human. You'll still look after your children, and be good parents, while abstaining from suicide of mass murder.

Of course, there are bad things that come along with it. Many people benefit from children, someone to care for you when you grow older. Then you can say that someone else will look after you, but if everyone goes with this philosophy, you'll end up seeing civilization crumble before your eyes.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
Re: Should we voulantarily phase out the human race?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:55:18 am »
too peaceful. if your gonna wipe out the human race it should be in a way that amkes up for all the shit its done eye for a eye.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:27:04 am »
Wow, saridon. Against all odds, your reply managed to be obscenely worse than Zeppy's initial bad post.

I have a counterproposal to voluntarily phasing out the human species: Let us instead voluntarily phase out angst-ridden adolescents who are crawling in their fucking skin.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:37 am »
Wow, saridon. Against all odds, your reply managed to be obscenely worse than Zeppy's initial bad post.

I have a counterproposal to voluntarily phasing out the human species: Let us instead voluntarily phase out angst-ridden adolescents who are crawling in their fucking skin.
heh that would be most of australias teenage population dead it keeps on going to shit every year.
about the idea meh, i have a general hate towards most other people...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 03:18:03 am »
As if humanity is some sort of blight that needs to be eradicated so that the other, peaceful, organisms can live in perfect harmony. Nature is cruel and selfish. I've said this before: if humans are like that, that's nature's own imprint on us, which each creature bears (except maybe for sloths; I just read a funny article about how these German scientists finally gave up after two years in getting this certain sloth to move.) Certainly, if this were to be done we would only be giving other creatures the opportunity to be just as bad, and perhaps (likely?) even worse. This is brought on only by the naive and useless idea that humans = bad and nature = good. It's not that simple, and doesn't get us anywhere. We actually have the capability to do something at least, and I think to even consider just letting ourselves die out would be the sign of highest weakness and irresponsibility.

Imagine someone who's lived, fought, bled, and so on. Say, someone maybe who's lived on the streets, and who's done and suffered some pretty bad things. What were you to think of someone like that if they were to one day say 'hey, I'm a terrible person, and don't deserve to live', and then put a gun to their head and kill themselves? I suppose depending on who you are, and exactly how bad the person was, the responses would vary. But now consider this. What if they were now to say 'hey, I've done some pretty bad things, but I'm going to make up for it; I'm going to do something with myself, and make things better for everyone else', then stand up, and turn their life around. Most people would applaud that. If the two are shown side-by-side, the suicide is rather the weaker option, and is defeatest - and also shows a complete ignorance of the fact that things can, and do, change over the course of time. While it might be cowardly to hold onto life too dearly, it is equal cowardice to flee from it too quickly. This proposition (from what I gather from the way Zeppelin described it, on the premise of 'stop having children to spare the rest of the world'; I didn't go to the webside) is that sort of cowardice. And more than that, it shows irresponsibility, because if we have indeed done such bad things... shouldn't we FIX them, instead of running away? And merely 'dying out' is running away.

Now, I'll not say that people haven't messed up the world. We have, I know that. Global warming, for example. I just saw that one movie 'An Inconvinient Truth' (or most of it; I walked in on my parents watching it, so I didn't see the first bit), and hey, it's a fact. But our responsibility is to do something - that's our gift and duty - and it's not... this. On a side note, after seeing that movie and seeing how Bob Dole talks... damn, that guy would have made a good president, eh? I'm not much up on American politics, as they don't directly affect me, but that guy is ten times the speaker Bush is, and seems more intelligent to boot. I'd have probably voted for him, if I was American.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 06:22:09 am »

I never said I agreed with it!

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:27:03 am »
Humanity is just another cycle in the web of life. Be we here, be we not, the universe will keep on going as it has always been. Fucking egocentrical fools, these human beings, huh?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:21:07 am »
Oh, yes, humans need to hear the anti-hubris speeches and develop a sense of ethics. But even after all that, those careful and mindful enough know that the universe begins and ends with humanity. No rock ever gazed upon the world and analyzed it, and our one grunt is more than the empty universe has ever had to say. Sentience makes this universe. The whole of it is the birthright of sentient beings.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:55:43 am »
Grrr, children are the spawn of the devil himself! They take away your precious time!

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 12:55:57 pm »
Oh, yes, humans need to hear the anti-hubris speeches and develop a sense of ethics. But even after all that, those careful and mindful enough know that the universe begins and ends with humanity. No rock ever gazed upon the world and analyzed it, and our one grunt is more than the empty universe has ever had to say. Sentience makes this universe. The whole of it is the birthright of sentient beings.

Sentience makes its image of the universe. Sentience is nothing but a fleeting state of cognition, just a determined level of it. One is only able to conceptualize (and therefore perceive, and vice-versa) "sentience" because of this very "sentience" he talks about.

You are the rock. You are the world. You are the empty universe and everything it has to say. You are sentience, and therefore you make this universe, and so it makes you.

Edit: Oh, and those careful, mindful, insightful, patient and persistant enough know that they know nothing, that the universe begins and ends with every blink of an eye, that tomatoes are not red and will rejoice in their ignorance. Oh, and they will keep their mouth shut and fingers tied in order not to propagate their ignorance any further, so not like I'm doing right now :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:08:25 pm by cupn00dles »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 12:21:27 am »
Extinction? That's a bit reactionary. Certainly, lowering the birth rate to give us a population that the planet could sustain would be nice, but that population would be nonzero.