Author Topic: No remake of Chrono Cross or no Sequel to Chrono Cross in development at SQEX  (Read 2927 times)

MasaMuneCyrus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Sir Magus
    • View Profile
I was reading GoNintendo and came across this:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=12409

Apparently Jeux-France got an interview with Hiromichi Tanaka -- the guy behind the Final Fantasy III remake and the producer of Final Fantasies I-III, as well as Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 and Chrono Cross. Now, I don't know French, but from what I could piece together with online translators and a French-English Dictionary from the sentence below is one of two things:
  • That there is currently no remake of Chrono Cross in development at Square-Enix because such a project would be difficult because most of the original developers are involved in other things or no longer work there, or
  • That there is currently no sequel to Chrono Cross in development at Square-Enix because such a project would be difficult because most of the original developers are involved in other things or no longer work there

Does anyone here know enough French to clarify the meaning of this sentence?
Source
Quote from: Jeux-France
Après les nombreuses rumeurs, Hiromichi Tanaka déclare qu'aucune suite au jeu Chrono Cross n'est en développement chez Square Enix, tout simplement car un tel projet serait assez difficile à mettre en place aujourd'hui, puisque tous les membres qui ont participé au développement du jeu original travaillent sur d'autres projets et ne sont donc pas disponibles.

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify that. Until then, there is a video on Jeux-France that I'm trying to load of the interview, and perhaps I can pick out what Tanaka-san said in Japanese, as I do know a bit of that.

Cheers (or not, because the Chrono series gets no love from SQEX),
-Magus

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Ah, a French translation, that's a work for me. Tanaka doesn't speak about a remake but he does say (sadly) that there's no sequel planned:

-----

Today, Square Enix invited the video game press to an event concerning Final Fantasy III on Nintendo DS, organized in a luxurious hotel in the posh areas of Paris. We thus were able to meet Hiromichi Tanaka, who has worked with Square since its creation in the 80s. Designer for the first Final Fantasy installments, Seiken Densetsu, as well as Chrono Cross, he agreed to answer our questions together with other journalists during a video interview that you can now watch in its entirety. Hiromichi Tanaka of course talked about his game Final Fantasy III which he developed on Famicom and more recently on Nintendo DS; he mentioned as well more technical aspects such as 3D game engines. The Japanese producer also gave us his opinion on Square Enix's current news. After the numerous rumors, Hiromichi Tanaka stated that no sequel to the game Chrono Cross is in development at Square Enix, simply because such a project would be quite difficult to put together, since all the members who participated in the development of the original game are working on other projects and thus are not available. Besides, the Japanese publisher confirmed to us that the European release date of Final Fantasy III is to be officially announced in the next few days. Finally, here are the first screenshots of Final Fantasy III's French version on Nintendo DS.

Translation of the part concerning Chrono:

Q: I know you've worked on Chrono Cross. There are a lot of fans of this game even here in France where it wasn't released, so could we expect to see a sequel, one day?

(Tanaka takes a huge breath when he hears the translation, then he laughes a little bit, as if he had been expecting the question or something...)

A: Well, the problem with Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger is that, the Chrono series is what it is because we always had a very particular team to develop it. Chrono Trigger is kind of the "game of the miracle" because it was a period when great creators like Akira Toriyama and others were available at that moment, and that's how the game could be made. And for Chrono Cross it's the same thing. The producer for Chrono Cross who is now the scenario writer for Secret of Mana 4[see note 1], the producer for Chrono Cross who was Mr Kitase[see note 2] who is now very busy on the Final Fantasy games since the VII or VIII... And so this means that it's very difficult to be able to reunite the original team, to be able to make a sequel to the Chrono series... Simply because if we don't try to reunite these people but take other people instead, we will find ourselves at that point with a game which will feel different, since there would be different persons in charge and we would possibly lose the Chrono spirit, if we make a sequel that way.

Q: So for the moment it's a no?

A: As of now, there is no sequel planned.

[Note 1] Unless Tanaka slipped and accidentally revealed the name of a new, still top-secret project or something, the interpreter is probably referring to Seiken Densetsu 4 alias Dawn of Mana, which has just been released in Japan. And of course, the scenario writer referred to is Masato Kato, who was not producer for Chrono Cross (that's Tanaka right here!) but director.
[Note 2] Yes, the interpreter says "producer for Chrono Cross" twice, he made a little mix-up. Kitase was co-producer for Chrono Trigger, not Cross. I think Tanaka also mentioned in Japanese the name of one of the other co-producers for Trigger, Tokita, but the translator just said Kitase. Don't criticize him, it's hard to translate Japanese to French orally with all those names and functions!

-----

That suuucks! Is this really the end for the Chrono series? :( And what the hell is Kato doing with these crappy Mana games?? If I were him, I'd say to Square Enix "Give me a Chrono or I frigging quit this company", like what Mitsuda said to Square in 1995 when he wanted to have his first composer role in a game!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:50:06 am by Chrono'99 »

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Does anyone here know enough French to clarify the meaning of this sentence?
Source
Quote from: Jeux-France
Après les nombreuses rumeurs, Hiromichi Tanaka déclare qu'aucune suite au jeu Chrono Cross n'est en développement chez Square Enix, tout simplement car un tel projet serait assez difficile à mettre en place aujourd'hui, puisque tous les membres qui ont participé au développement du jeu original travaillent sur d'autres projets et ne sont donc pas disponibles.

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify that. Until then, there is a video on Jeux-France that I'm trying to load of the interview, and perhaps I can pick out what Tanaka-san said in Japanese, as I do know a bit of that.

Cheers (or not, because the Chrono series gets no love from SQEX),
-Magus

French is easy enough for me. I'll work on it and get back to you hopefully by the end of the day.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
That does it. We're going to have to come up with ideas for supporting the development of a new game. Start brainstorming.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
That does it. We're going to have to come up with ideas for supporting the development of a new game. Start brainstorming.

Aye-aye, sir!

No seriously, we have to come up with something. No, we will. The common person can make a difference, and we must do that now. Am I right?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Kind of ironic that they don't have the time to make a new Chrono game... The series is victim of its own central theme :/

MasaMuneCyrus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Sir Magus
    • View Profile
Perhaps one of us should write a personal letter letter to Yuuji Horii about the matter. It's kind of a strange idea, but at least he, as co-creator of the game and still a SQEX employee, could definitively say if a sequel would ever be possible again.

That said, seeing what Hiromichi Tanaka did with Final Fantasy III DS, I'd still be very happy if they just did a remake of Chrono Trigger with Tanaka in charge. He kept Final Fantasy III DS very true to its original game. It'd be nice to see it on a Wii with Pseudo-3D, akin to Tales of Symphonia. Not necessarily a remake, but like FFIIIDS, a 'remastering' of sorts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:12:49 pm by MasaMuneCyrus »

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile

Amen. I'll do whatever I can to see another Chrono game.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
If only they would visit the compendium and other fan sites and see how much people love the series and still support it. They should have got a clue when the redesign project came about. I love final fantasy but im tired of all the FF remakes and remasters, I want Chrono action.  :(

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile

BOYCOTT!

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile

BOYCOTT!

I believe it was said somewhere else, but I don't think the compendium is big enough to make a difference with a boycott.

Holocaust Angel

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
We can always picket the main Square offices? :D

hotspot

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Breaker of wooden writing utensils
    • View Profile
    • Suikocross
Maybe they can hand over the series to another company to make a sequel but before they do that they need to know everything about the chrono series so they don't make any mistakes.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
great creators like Akira Toriyama

.... that statement annoys me to no end.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
Let us destroy Final Fantasy and the secret of mana series....es