Author Topic: MMOGs  (Read 2141 times)

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« on: January 27, 2007, 03:41:40 am »
I hate MMORPG.   It's a total waste of time and money.
you mean MMO most MMORPGs arnt really RPGs

mainly because they lack decent content, the gameplay tends to be ok but they lack decent content and are too much of a grind usually. the MMO that im the main graphic artist for should solve many of these problems though its gonna be a few years till its done and i get goddamn paid.

try lineage 2 if you want a decent MMO, its a mass grind at later levels (its very fast to get to 20 ish now and its sped up alot with new universal drops) its decent as a game itself but has a great community (well the 30%-50% that arnt idiots/assholes).

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 04:01:49 am »
I prefer online simulator games.  Anyway thanks for the suggestion :D

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
MMOGs
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 09:25:37 am »
I hate MMO games, too.

I also hate the current state of the world, as well as this stupid 'no Chrono sequel' crap I'm hearing so much.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:51:39 am »

And that's why Ultima Online is the one and only MMORPG that's good.

Jonathan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 02:49:46 pm »
you mean MMO most MMORPGs arnt really RPGs

mainly because they lack decent content, the gameplay tends to be ok but they lack decent content and are too much of a grind usually. the MMO that im the main graphic artist for should solve many of these problems though its gonna be a few years till its done and i get goddamn paid.

How are they not RPGs? 
There's a lot of content in an MMO game.  Though not a lot of it will permanently affect the world the content and story are still there.  I fail to see how you don't see them as RPGs.  You assume the role of a character and you quest through an online world.   Of course it's different than the traditional non-computer RPGs but I fail to see how you don't classify an MMORPG as an RPG.  In most cases you have more control over the role of your character than you would in an offline RPG.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 02:53:40 pm by Jonathan »

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 02:56:51 pm »
Not to mention its called a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  :D

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:13:27 pm »

Impressive powers of observation, I must say.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 04:19:26 pm »
Especially the people who see that and say its not a Rpg huh?

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:00:59 pm »
because you do not play the role of a character who as the story advances goes through character development, its just a static avatar.

for the guy above

as for the reason on traditional rpg aspects (char development, etc, etc) i dont see most of them as being RPG. and while most do have content and sometimes quite alot of it, this is only durning the leveling phase of the game. and new content isnt released for after the 'leveling' content too often.
as for assumeing a characer, no you dont, you assume a avatar the character you have has no prior personality its just a shell.

ive layed a shit load of MMOs to know that so many of them lack content, dont get me wrong many of them are fun in the beggining at least but once you get through a decent portion of the game you see how empty the world is and how any actions made by anyone dosnt matter for shit.

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 05:33:31 pm »
The personality and aspect of the game is only as dull as you make and see it. if you always have the attitude that the world is empty and shit your gonna think they are that way o.O or like you say it isnt just "leveling" if you only do that its your fault. In FFXI my linkshell comunity has loads of fun role-playing and adventuring together. Just because the programmer didnt give your character a personality for you doesnt mean the game is anything short of roleplaying.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
MMOGs
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 01:01:48 am »
The personality and aspect of the game is only as dull as you make and see it. if you always have the attitude that the world is empty and shit your gonna think they are that way o.O or like you say it isnt just "leveling" if you only do that its your fault. In FFXI my linkshell comunity has loads of fun role-playing and adventuring together. Just because the programmer didnt give your character a personality for you doesnt mean the game is anything short of roleplaying.

true if you bring roleplaying into the game yourself then that makes it roleplaying, the game isnt roleplaying otherwise because your character is just an avatar of yourself, you aren't assuming the role of a character with story,personality,etc.

and while some games have good community that make the games fun to play (lineage 2) even after you have gone through all the content, if you ingnore the community and look at the game itself many lack content and the content they do have is usually generic crap.

and as for "the world is shit and empty" look at a town or city in a MMO, how many of them have NPCs that will react to and remember things? how many of them can evolve and change based on the actions of the players without developers changing stuff w/patches.
saying the world is empty is something i guess i shouldnt have done, the more correct word would be static. most of the world never changes and its always the same. so by empty i was reffering to the fact that everything is the same and unchanging like a world with nothing but rocks compared to a world with plants&life.

dont think i dont know about how community effects online games or how players are able to fill in gaps by doing things themselves (roleplaying with friends). it works for some games and even then for select groups, the point is games should be doing this shit themselves, good communitys can emulate it but can only go so far...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: MMOGs
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 02:32:41 am »
I'm just turned off by the entire Second Life idea in general. There is too much to be experienced in this world to willingly yield your time to the limits imposed by polygonal worlds.

Well, to rephrase that, I'm turned off by the massive people integration of Myspace in general. There has got to be some kind of evolutionary gregarity behind it all. I know people who spend hours on it for leisure, just posting all over pages and messing with their own. It's a tremendous circular scheme for wasting time by accomplishing nothing and going nowhere with endless social constructs. I just don't have that much to say to my friends, and prefer to keep myself engaged in some kind of enterprise with regularity.

Jesus, 16 year old ZeaLitY would call me some kind of tremendous nerd.

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 02:39:33 am »

no, there are some free good ones, with some awesome graphics, like Last Chaos, has graphics of Guild Wars, Legend of Ares is also good, and Hero is good, but to complex for me

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

no, there are some free good ones, with some awesome graphics, like Last Chaos, has graphics of Guild Wars, Legend of Ares is also good, and Hero is good, but to complex for me

cept graphic dont matter in MMOs which need gameplay not just eyecandy

kennyj2003

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 02:44:50 am »
I totally agree with you on myspace, I just don't see the appeal of it. I made a profile and havent check it since. Just can't get into it. :/