Author Topic: Chrono Trigger + demo test (dead)  (Read 7372 times)

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger + beta test
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2007, 02:12:44 am »
Yeah, I may actually have a slot machine sprite at some point. Also notice it's a CAT playing blackjack with you. Though I'll probably leave that one, just because it's so funny.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2007, 02:17:49 am »
Okay, I've got the new patch and I'll start playing...I'll update this with a bug report if I see any bugs.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2007, 02:18:43 am »
Ok, I sent it.

No sense in editing the Denadoro if I don't include it. Also, I noticed that I forgot to import Leene Square.  :x I must be slipping.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2007, 02:24:25 am »
Aye...the Blackjack cat is missing and I get stuck if I enter the area with the Prehistoric dancers. I get stuck right behind the little girl that blabs about dashing everywhere with B when I enter that part and cannot move at all.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2007, 02:51:03 am »
Something I'm noticing on Denadoro...if an herb is in view when a battle begins the battle has a long load time of about five or six seconds.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2007, 05:25:55 am »
Still working around this. Also, some of the enemies have vanished as a result of this.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2007, 05:49:18 am »
Aside from that any bugs? Error? Questions? Comments? Besides the scenes where I haven't finished or added yet.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2007, 06:20:03 pm »
Well, there was an interesting textual glitch in one of the text boxes of the Knight Captain when he blabs at you about not having rations. Also, we need a line for him to repeat after the talk there so he doesn't go off on his entire speech again. I'd have more but I didn't play beyond getting the Masamune piece from Frog last night because I was too tired and irritated about something else. I'll finish it up now and then give a full report.

EDIT: While I like the slow down and speed up of music at the Meeting Site, I object to the constant playing of "Burn! Booga!" or whatever it's called in the Hunting Range. It feels somewhat disruptive and off.

Another interesting oddity...in the Forest Maze the sounds of battle are somewhat softer than all other sounds. Music plays at the normal volume as does the chime of battle menu appearences and choices but the actual battle sounds, such as Crono's sword attacks or enemy attacks is quite soft. Nice effect with the leaves though.

Also, Revives have a nice amusing glitch...it reads evive in the text boxes and battle menu though in the normal menu it's fine, albiet with the R shifted over to the left one space. Also, occasionally the menu refuses to open...this happened to me twice, both times in the Hunting Range. After a battle I couldn't get the menu to open until I went to another screen.

Oh, the world will not be destroyed 2700 years from 600 A.D. That would place the destruction of the world in 3300 A.D. Might want to correct that to 1399 years until you've placed the full set of dialogue in that scene.

The dialogue in front of Magus' Castle repeats if you leave and head back, which is annoying, as it includes the pan up to look at Magus' Castle as if they had not already been inside...I only noticed this because I was heading out to take Frog and Marle to 65,000,000 B.C.' and use the Nus to get some techs. In the castle, I'm curious as to why the decendents you fight just before Slash have some odd sound effect instead of the scream...it sounds like the falling sound effect.

Though the battles in Magus' Castle weren't all that hard, the boss battles were more difficult than I had anticpated. For all three I intentionally set my equipment to whatever equipment the player would normally have for that point in the game(I had been using the uber equipment merely as a way to speed through certain sections, such as training) and a such I had a slightly more difficult time with Slash and Flea than I had expected, though not much more. Magus himself is quite difficult, however...his spells hit a lot harder than they used to, especially Dark Matter. So I like how that worked out.

I just wonder if it's possible for Magus to randomly cast Dark Mist inbetween periods of "Magus risks casting a spell!"/"Dark Matter."

Anyway, overall, the beta works well, since the main intent was to test out various revisions to the monsters and whatnot.

One question: for any public beta, could we ensure that the full text of my script for whatever sections of the game we put in is available? I wouldn't want it only partially there for a public beta. Say for the first we could do it up to The Village of Magic as we did for the private beta, but this time the full text of the script.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:35:00 pm by Kyronea »

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2007, 01:27:20 am »
Burn Babonga in the Hunting Range is something from my 0.3 beta for battle music here. I never removed it yet.

The sounds in the Forest Maze are a problem I hope to fix. I am going to add a script that causes all the leaves sprites to vanish before battle and reappear after battle. This will fix this. Though, eventually, I wish to make it so sprites don't have to vanish before battle.

Revive is something that I forgot to fix when I reimported the string files.

1399 is now the correct integer.

Magus' Castle dialog; I still need to find an unused memory value to store to. Then I can fix this, then I'll also add the scene directly inside the Foyer. Also, I realize that I forgot to give you the parts of Ozzie and Magus. >_< You have the older stuff.

The Falling sound is meant to be a 'ghastly scream' effect, until I can import one.

Bosses were meant to difficult. I just randomly scaled up the stats, by using some unknown system my brain came up with. I can't explain it, but the stats just felt right when I typed them in... and before even testing the battle. I already know it's going to be good.

My assumption is that Magus only recently learned the spell Dark Matter, because it takes him so long to cast it. So I'll probably have some kind of text in between each turn where it says "Focusing Shadow Energy!".

As for the Public Beta, I will be able to get everything up to the point where you wake up in Ayla's Tent after Magus. After, that, I am not sure. So, after Kino leaves, there will be an NPC that comes in and tells you that it's the end of the beta, and if you continue, nothing else will be changed. So you might as well stop.

All your dialoug will be added as well as more secret treasure locations, Truce Canyon, Mystic Mountains, gem buyer in Medina, and [hopefully] all bug fixes, and many other enhancements such as dynamic changing password, crane codes, and factory codes in 2300 A.D.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2007, 01:38:15 am »
Burn Babonga in the Hunting Range is something from my 0.3 beta for battle music here. I never removed it yet.
Oh, okay.

The sounds in the Forest Maze are a problem I hope to fix. I am going to add a script that causes all the leaves sprites to vanish before battle and reappear after battle. This will fix this. Though, eventually, I wish to make it so sprites don't have to vanish before battle.
I don't think it's too much of a problem, really...it only affected a few battles as others were at normal volume, though that might simply have been the lack of actual leave sprites anywhere on screen at the time.

Revive is something that I forgot to fix when I reimported the string files.
I personally thought it was quite amusing...Got 1 evive! Heh.

1399 is now the correct integer.
Eh? About the menu opening bit, you mean?

Magus' Castle dialog; I still need to find an unused memory value to store to. Then I can fix this, then I'll also add the scene directly inside the Foyer. Also, I realize that I forgot to give you the parts of Ozzie and Magus. >_< You have the older stuff.
Righto. I won't be able to review the Ozzie dialogue but the Magus dialogue will be nicely reviewable once you have a patch with that. No rush though.

The Falling sound is meant to be a 'ghastly scream' effect, until I can import one.
Ah. Fine with me

Bosses were meant to difficult. I just randomly scaled up the stats, by using some unknown system my brain came up with. I can't explain it, but the stats just felt right when I typed them in... and before even testing the battle. I already know it's going to be good.
Aye, but as I said, it works out quite well. Magus is difficult as he should be...his lack of difficulty in the past was a bit of a disappointment because he is made out to be so powerful, and then the battle was...nothing, at least once you knew how it worked. Even knowing how it worked here he was tough, and that is definitely a good thing.

My assumption is that Magus only recently learned the spell Dark Matter, because it takes him so long to cast it. So I'll probably have some kind of text in between each turn where it says "Focusing Shadow Energy!".
Eh...maybe. I lean more towards it being a gameplay affect to keep him from tossing out Dark Matter after Dark Matter at the player when it hits so hard, but I suppose that makes sense. It's up to interpretation and yours is as valid as any.

As for the Public Beta, I will be able to get everything up to the point where you wake up in Ayla's Tent after Magus. After, that, I am not sure. So, after Kino leaves, there will be an NPC that comes in and tells you that it's the end of the beta, and if you continue, nothing else will be changed. So you might as well stop.

All your dialoug will be added as well as more secret treasure locations, Truce Canyon, Mystic Mountains, gem buyer in Medina, and [hopefully] all bug fixes, and many other enhancements such as dynamic changing password, crane codes, and factory codes in 2300 A.D.
Oh, good, good. Hmm...what should we make the NPC be...eh, just make it yourself.  Makes more sense than anything, really.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2007, 03:32:09 am »
Well, I'll go back and redo all the chapters upto the end of Magus's Castle. Then Import them all into one ROM with enhanced items, monsters, and more!

I also have to finish Truce Canyon/monsters AI stuff as well as Mystic Mts expansion. Medina Square still needs massive tweaking for the worshippers. I might also expand Heckran Caves a little too. -- have alot more Henchman so you level up alot and this way I can make Heckran even tougher. Then we can add some more cutscenes of a cult of Mystics worshipping Lavos.

I also made Masamune give you 10000 EXP on purpose, this is a super boss(Black Tyrano will also give that much). I may add 1000 HP or so, let me know on this one.

This will take me about 3 weeks to do. I can't promise to be able to do it any faster. Then I will take a break before I go to the second half of the game. (however the second half will be in it's own patch -- instead of two seperate patches at first)

Then when TF fixes the bug that is preventing One ROM, we can add both halves together and see how much space we have for sidequests. I'm sure we will still have alot.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2007, 03:42:38 am »
Well, I'll go back and redo all the chapters upto the end of Magus's Castle. Then Import them all into one ROM with enhanced items, monsters, and more!
Always a good decision.

I also have to finish Truce Canyon/monsters AI stuff as well as Mystic Mts expansion. Medina Square still needs massive tweaking for the worshippers. I might also expand Heckran Caves a little too. -- have alot more Henchman so you level up alot and this way I can make Heckran even tougher. Then we can add some more cutscenes of a cult of Mystics worshipping Lavos.
Aye, especially for the Medina tweaking.  I see the Mystic Cult worshipping Lavos as quite a large cult which may or may not be officially acknowledged by the main populace, and there is, of course, some Magus worship as well, at least until he's knocked out and Ozzie replaces him.

I also made Masamune give you 10000 EXP on purpose, this is a super boss(Black Tyrano will also give that much). I may add 1000 HP or so, let me know on this one.
It needs more HP and some more powerful attacks if you're going to give away 10,000 EXP for this battle. Don't make it TOO tough, but quite tough for that portion of the game indeed. It confused me though...everyone in my party gained FIVE levels from that, though they were an average of 15...

This will take me about 3 weeks to do. I can't promise to be able to do it any faster. Then I will take a break before I go to the second half of the game. (however the second half will be in it's own patch -- instead of two seperate patches at first)
Okay. Don't worry too much about going all that fast...the important thing is for it to be done properly and efficiently, rather than full of mistakes. We don't want another corruption bug infecting the patch and forcing you to start over.

Then when TF fixes the bug that is preventing One ROM, we can add both halves together and see how much space we have for sidequests. I'm sure we will still have alot.
Hopefully we will...I definitely want to get in a lot of that extra information all over the place, as well as the Valley of the Giants for Ayla so she's not so underrated...Ayla is a great character and she needs all the help she can get.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2007, 03:59:11 am »
Areas: these are all places I know we will be able to have room for (after TF fixes).

Valley of the Giants: (All Ayla quest stuff -- must have her lead party while here. If you leave, it shows the change party screen. If you come back, same screen but with Ayla leading the party. This is because of the Reptilian Hyroglyphs that will be everywhere, hinting of their knowledge and legends and secrets of nature.

..even some of the best herb recipes may be found in very secret prehistoric areas.

Main Canyon (the main area has 4 paths, RIGHT leads to the world map)
UP::Razorwind Spire
DOWN::Redrock Canyon
LEFT::Searing Chasm

Sunken Zeal Dungeon
Get the Tsunami Sword here as well as some other sweet items.
Can't run though because you are underwater.

Medina Sewers (a.k.a. the Necropolis) (1 large maze like map)
We need another sidequest for 1000 A.D., what better way to make a small dungeon under Medina (that you access through Medina Square after it upgrades) that is full of hideous magic users and ancient Medina knowledge? Alot of Lavos worship could be tied in down here too.

Valley of the Shadow of Death (2 maps)
--just a lava cave full of Lavos Spawn at level 80 in Death Peak
(it's going to be the cave where the spawn comes out of near the summit -- the one you climb on)

Denadoro Mts 1000 A.D. (Fiona's Forest if room)

Cleft of Dimensions (size ? atleast 4 large maps)

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2007, 04:05:21 am »
Areas: these are all places I know we will be able to have room for (after TF fixes).

Valley of the Giants: (All Ayla quest stuff -- must have her lead party while here. If you leave, it shows the change party screen. If you come back, same screen but with Ayla leading the party. This is because of the Reptilian Hyroglyphs that will be everywhere, hinting of their knowledge and legends and secrets of nature.

..even some of the best herb recipes may be found in very secret prehistoric areas.

Main Canyon (the main area has 4 paths, RIGHT leads to the world map)
UP::Razorwind Spire
DOWN::Redrock Canyon
LEFT::Searing Chasm
This is the one I definitely want. Ayla needs this story, and it can't hurt to help enhance the Reptites with it as well.

Sunken Zeal Dungeon
Get the Tsunami Sword here as well as some other sweet items.
Can't run though because you are underwater.
No running? Aww...well, at least it can be helpful for Magus. If we take him along he might seek information on Schala somewhere. Others can also seek information, of course. More like a general useful set of stuff for everybody.

Medina Sewers (a.k.a. the Necropolis) (1 large maze like map)
We need another sidequest for 1000 A.D., what better way to make a small dungeon under Medina (that you access through Medina Square after it upgrades) that is full of hideous magic users and ancient Medina knowledge? Alot of Lavos worship could be tied in down here too.
Perhaps...I question the need for this, personally, but it should be okay...I think it would be useful to work as a way of expanding some Magus and general Mystic society lore goodness. If used correctly it should be quite neat.

Valley of the Shadow of Death (2 maps)
--just a lava cave full of Lavos Spawn at level 80 in Death Peak
(it's going to be the cave where the spawn comes out of near the summit -- the one you climb on)
Fine with me, though we may want to slim it down if that's all it is for, if only because other areas may need the room.

Denadoro Mts 1000 A.D. (Fiona's Forest if room)

Cleft of Dimensions (size ? atleast 4 large maps)
Both of these will go splendidly with Crono background...the more we can elaborate on him the better. And, of course, it'll be nice to expand on the Dream Species bit, and...and maybe, just maybe, we can use this to try and connect to other fan projects...say we leave references to Crisis, Time's Illusion, Project ZEAL, and the like...perhaps through Daedalus' research notes on different dimensions. And, of course, some Cross references would be good, such as one referring to the Reptite/Dragonian dimension.

Zakyrus

• Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2007, 04:20:38 am »
Sunken Zeal Dungeon you will be swimming  :wink: You'll move slightly faster than walking speed.

Medina Sewers would just be something to enhance their Village even more. It would probably be strong Shadow users under the Village. Lore of Lavos and Magus could be everywhere.

Valley of the Shadow of Death
So as long as I have enough space to fit 13 super tough Lavos Spawns. Maybe I'll just use 1 map and have battles where you fight 2 at a time, then finally you fight 3 at once!

Denadoro I don't have to worry about because I can do a memory check to see what era you are in (the Northern Ruins dungeon used this code technique) and rearrange the events/monsters/NPCs accordingly. So I would just change the monsters you fight (I don't know what yet -- though we do have the empty "Ogre" enemy) That's the one's that fall off the conveyer belt in Ozzie's fort and never get to fight. We could have the area populated with those, as well as some tough version of Free Lancer or something.

As for the Cleft of Dimensions, that area deserves to be somewhat big -- I have the basics of this dialoug & Valley of the Giants dialouge revised and I'll send that to you after I get the Public Beta released..