Author Topic: Cross Audio Drama, CT Doujin, and Fan Fiction Winner  (Read 6504 times)

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Audio Drama, CT Doujin, and Fan Fiction Winner
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 08:52:08 pm »
Weird cut at 20:48.

Either than that, I ***LOVE*** (x 9999) it.  ^__________^
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:02:44 pm by Radical Dreamer »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 11:35:17 am »
Quote from: Kyronea
And it's Eye-la, not Ee-la! Porr-ey, not Poor!  Sshala, not Skala!  Mar-el and Har-el, not Mar-ley and Har-ley!  Gah! (Sorry, but these are minor irks. I'd complain about Magus versus Majus but I don't think anyone would agree with me about pronoucning the word as Majus.)

Actually, in some sense you're right. I think the original ancient Persian whence the name comes would be pronounced as such. However, the word as we have it comes through ancient Greek (where it is pronounced Magos) and Latin (which is the same as our Magus.) This dj sound does appear in the plural (ie. Magi, which is said Madj-ai in English) but it is always advisable to use more familiar, or at least semi-familiar, forms. I mean, I like using the original form for Janus (that is, I sometimes say it as Ee-ah-nus, as per the ancient Latin pronunciation), but most often I just go with Janus as that's the 'English' way of pronouncing it. 

However, I think you are wrong on both Marle and Harle. In English those words would both be most commonly pronounced as Mar-ley and Har-ley. No one would say Harle Har-el so far as I know, because to shift that around isn't an English trait that I can think of. Most often we'll be inclined to lengthen a final 'e', not switch it with the preceeding consonant or make it silent. Furthermore, the name Marley is one used in English and pronounced Mar-ley (ie. Bob Marley). It is better to go with this. Likewise Harle. It's a cut-off form of Harlequin, though few English speakers would ever say Har-leh, but would, as I've said, lengthen the e. In fact, the thing is, you do that selfsame thing to Porre (ie. lengthen the e); why not to Harle and Marle, which it seems to follow more naturally (afte all, I think Porre is merely like Pore, because that final e looks to be silent. Maybe it's the double r, but I don't think it should be pronounced. Or... that's it. The word pore itself. That is a common English word, and that's how it's pronounced, and adding an r shouldn't change the pronunciation.) Oh, and just thinking, I've reconciled how the e in Marle might be long... it depends if you consider it another syllable. Porre is very sketchy in that regard. You'd have to make the e alone another syllable, which would be strange. Marle, on the other hand, can have the l attributed to the last syllable. In fact, this is far most likely. It would be extremely strange that the entire word would be one syllable when it has two vowels seperated like that. It almost must be a seperate vowel. And 'le' is unlikely to be 'leh', almost certainly not 'el' (because that would mean it's pronounced wholly seperate from its spelling), and most likely 'lee' or 'lay' or something of that nature.

(This is just for the standard. Each person definitely has their variances. Like I said, I sometimes say Janus more like Ianus; and Magus I don't often say May-gus which most would, but Mah-gos.)

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 09:29:35 pm »
I actually say May-jus, much like I say May-ji(Magi for those who can't keep  up.)

In any case...eh...I stuck with Mar-el and Har-el due to the original Japanese pronunciations, and pronounced Porre as I do because it looks like a French word, and we know that there are at least some vaguely French-like people in the Chronoverse. (Take Pierre for instance.)

But meh. Those are all my personal pronunciations, which may or may not be seen as correct on the whole. I think it's mostly a case of personal taste, really. It's not as if any of these people or places are real and we can ask them, anyway.

That said, thank you for taking the time to educate me on language. You certainly know your stuff when it comes to that.