Author Topic: Cross, too many characters?  (Read 4177 times)

Tiammat

Re: Cross, too many characters?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 01:56:40 pm »
Yes, Chrono Cross has too many characters...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59:10 pm »
Lol.  "Only" 76.  That's still over the limit DX

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 11:23:29 pm »
Sorry dankun you're not allowed in this thread

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:53:53 pm »
 Masato Kato pretty much admitted it himself that the game had too many characters. 40 something might have worked well, don't get me wrong, but not for what he had in mind. And rather than just back down and let them change course entirely, he tried to retain some of what he wanted to do with the game. Keep in mind, this head count influx is what forced them to drop Magus from the roster.

Radox Redux

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 04:29:25 pm »
Wow. Some ppl actually think the number of ppl in Cross is justifiable. That's funny..... and a little sad at the same time. Having a few well rounded characters is a hell of a lot better than having an army of shallow characters. But I guess that'll only ever be just an opinion.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 07:27:14 pm »
I think the Compendium's polls speak the truth (more or less). There are way too many C & D characters in the lineup.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:22:13 am by V_Translanka »

hotspot

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Breaker of wooden writing utensils
    • View Profile
    • Suikocross
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 09:20:28 pm »
I for one think that the many characters in chrono cross was a good thing, i loved meeting all of the interesting characters with thier own abilities and attacks, i also think it would have been cool if they had put in 60 characters like they were going to. Having so many characters also makes the replay value less boring.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:52 am »
How is the replay value less boring when they all say the exact same thing just in a different stupid accent, minus one or two major plot points...? I think going the different character routes is fine, but that isn't explored enough in Cross...They all just join up so pointlessly that it makes me want to go emulate Star Ocean...

hotspot

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Breaker of wooden writing utensils
    • View Profile
    • Suikocross
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 11:27:53 pm »
How is the replay value less boring when they all say the exact same thing just in a different stupid accent, minus one or two major plot points...? I think going the different character routes is fine, but that isn't explored enough in Cross...They all just join up so pointlessly that it makes me want to go emulate Star Ocean...
I wasn't talking about what they say i was talking about bringing different characters along ,it's hard to explain what i mean but i will try to, with a bigger variety of characters there are more to choose who'd you like to go with you and it is a more fun battle experience becuase instead of only have a couple of people to choose from, you have many more that can fight in battles, i mean it gets a bit boring if you can only bring 2 characters with you out of 7, but if there are 45 you can always spice up the battles by bringing different people each time, and with so many characters the battles are much more fresh, that is as long as you bring different people. I hope that made sense.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:32 am »
Yeah, but why does it get boring in battles...? Another slightly lame aspect of Chrono Cross' characters: Every one only has 3 unique Techs...I think they could have done fine with 12 characters (2 of each Element, one set for Serge, one set for Serge-as-Lynx)...and could have done EXCELLENT if they'd given them all, say, 8 unique character Techs...

Ekul

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:08 am »
Yeah. It's hard to care about all of them. In fact, I would like if there was a game about just the Acadian knights. Maybe you start as Glenn and assemble other knights.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 09:04:09 pm »
While I have to admit that there are WAY too many characters in Cross, I fail to see how theeir joining you is 'pointless'. After all, if YOU met someone who was going to save the world, wouldn't you at least show some support? I think most of the characters joined on because theey saw Serge was going for a good cause and he would need all the help he could get.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 10:01:34 pm »
While I have to admit that there are WAY too many characters in Cross, I fail to see how their joining you is 'pointless'. After all, if YOU met someone who was going to save the world, wouldn't you at least show some support? I think most of the characters joined on because thee saw Serge was going for a good cause and he would need all the help he could get.

Well, I mean, sure, if you want to look at it in that light.

But from a player-controlling-the-protagonist-while-playing-a-plot-oriented-video-game, that many characters only caused me to be detached from 75% of them.  The lack of back story and relevance made me feel unattached to the characters.

For instance, playing plot-oriented RPGs is a lot like reading a novel.  We have a beginning-middle-climax-ending arrangement of the plot, and characters who paint the landscape of the tale.  That many characters only dilutes the story too much, and they don't act as key-players one would normally become attached to.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 10:35:56 pm »
At what point did said 40+ characters join Serge...? Now, correlate that to the point when Serge realized that he was going to save the world...Oh? That would be the last 15 minutes (stretching it, really) of the game?? Dang, looks like they just pointlessly joined him after all...

"I'm bored, I'll join you!" -Miki <-Case in point (sadly, it's not the exception that proves the rule, either).

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 09:28:30 pm »
Masato Kato pretty much admitted it himself that the game had too many characters. 40 something might have worked well, don't get me wrong, but not for what he had in mind. And rather than just back down and let them change course entirely, he tried to retain some of what he wanted to do with the game. Keep in mind, this head count influx is what forced them to drop Magus from the roster.

Wasn't Magus dropped 'cause they didn't want players to typecast a party of Serge, Kid, and Magil?