Author Topic: Old quests, new sites...  (Read 3719 times)

Ramsus

Old quests, new sites...
« on: July 03, 2007, 06:00:28 pm »

Zeality is on vacation right now, so expect things at the Compendium to be quiet for a few weeks. In the meantime, you can get a sneak peak at Zeality's latest side project: QuestFan.

Also, the site now has an Oekaki board for all those intrepid artist sorts out there.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:03:01 pm by Ramsus »

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
Re: Old quests, new sites...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 06:25:33 pm »

Zeality is on vacation right now, so expect things at the Compendium to be quiet for a few weeks. In the meantime, you can get a sneak peak at Zeality's latest side project: QuestFan.

Also, the site now has an Oekaki board for all those intrepid artist sorts out there.

not bad ramsus. you need to organize it better though.

Ramsus

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 06:30:44 pm »
What do you mean?

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 06:46:34 pm »
What do you mean?
ya look like ya just went at the picture and just drew whatever. Make an outline underneath it next time and then do the oekaki over it. I'm pretty sure you can do that.

Ramsus

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:02:57 pm »
No, I can't. I really can't. Haven't you seen any of my work? I'm just not the careful, planning sort. (I actually did outline this one, BTW, but I still didn't actively plan anything).

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:06:52 pm »
No, I can't. I really can't. Haven't you seen any of my work? I'm just not the careful, planning sort. (I actually did outline this one, BTW, but I still didn't actively plan anything).

I can tell.

Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 08:20:06 pm »

I can tell.

You've already established that. Now you're just going for the last word, aren't y'a?

Seriously though, your posts are always so painfully vague and needlessly redundant. Either plan what you're going to say, say exactly what you want to say, say it clearly, and say it once, or learn to just fuck off. For example, "Nice work on the drawing you posted, but the composition is awful. It's completely unorganized. Take advantage of the layers and try to spend some more time planning by outlining underneath it next time. Maybe you're just drawing whatever, but even a few minutes of planning can make a big difference in the end result without significantly impacting how long it takes overall."

Honestly, I didn't even mention the image in my post, so your vague, useless attempt at a critique left me wondering what it was I had to organize better (the drawing board, the image, the news post, or the QuestFan site, even though it's not mine). The context of, "Hey, here's an image. Comment on it," didn't even exist.

Nevermind that I just needed something -- anything really -- to help fill in space with the post; to hell with it if the composition is bad. So I just smacked a character down there on the middle and added a background as an afterthought. My arm is sore, and it's just an Oekaki board image, what's it going to matter? Sure, it's a good way to guarantee whatever I make will be mediocre at best, but that didn't bother me enough at the time.

Anyway, this drawing board is here for Chrono fans to just draw whatever, from shitty doodle comics with inside forum jokes to meticulously crafted masterpieces. If you're going to spend time critiquing stuff on it, try to put as much time planning your critique as you would an actual piece of art.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 08:29:56 pm »
To pitch in, I actually like Ramsus' style. It's rough and coarse, much like life itself, rather than most other styles.

As for pitching in my own art...I think that unless I figure out how to create decent art on a computer rather than trying to draw it out manually, I'll have to decline.

Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:01:39 pm »
To pitch in, I actually like Ramsus' style. It's rough and coarse, much like life itself, rather than most other styles.

As for pitching in my own art...I think that unless I figure out how to create decent art on a computer rather than trying to draw it out manually, I'll have to decline.

http://www.wacom.com/graphire/4x5.cfm

Wacom makes by far the best quality tablets. They're less hassle, the drivers are better, and they just feel nicer in your hands. Even their low-end stuff beats everyone else's, hands down.

Nevertheless, any tablet is usually better than no tablet. I sent my 4x5 Graphire3 to my sister, and I'm currently using this Aiptek tablet as a cheap holdover for a few more months until I can afford a nice Intuos tablet (probably this one). The Aiptek tablet works, but when I stop using it for a few minutes, I have to tap it a few times to wake it up, and then I have to set the driver to "graphics mode" again, or it acts funny from stroke to stroke. Plus the pen weighs a little more because of the battery and doesn't have an eraser. There's no way to adjust the pressure sensitivity either, and the default curve just feels wrong. I mean, it works, but for serious stuff, it's a real productivity killer...

Personally, I think everyone should have a digitizer tablet. Just like everyone should have a good snapshot camera...

Freakyfrankie

• Porrean (+50)
  • I'm a girl! A girl! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 09:08:56 pm »
I like your picture, Ramsus. ^_^ Don't listen to the naysayers.

Ramsus

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
Grey's not a naysayer. He's just mad that I thoughtlessly scribbled Kid onto a blank slate, as opposed to representing her as the epitome of all that is art. And he does have a point; composition is usually the most important thing.

Freakyfrankie

• Porrean (+50)
  • I'm a girl! A girl! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 04:59:44 am »
Kid *is* the epitome of all art. <3 she is love. she is god.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 03:29:29 pm »
I like your picture, Ramsus. ^_^ Don't listen to the naysayers.
... I'm a naysayer now? I said it was good.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 04:20:38 pm »
I will definitely look into that tablet once I have more money, Ramsus, thank you.

In the mean time, I will have to settle for cheering on all artists here on the Compendium. By all means, people, draw your heart out. I want to see more Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross fanart.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 04:46:49 pm »
I will definitely look into that tablet once I have more money, Ramsus, thank you.

In the mean time, I will have to settle for cheering on all artists here on the Compendium. By all means, people, draw your heart out. I want to see more Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross fanart.
wacom tablets are the best. I got a 6x8 and I'm thinking of upgrading to a centrilo 19'' screen.