Author Topic: i just redesigned my site  (Read 2158 times)

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
i just redesigned my site
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:25:43 pm »
tell me what ya think. i wont link, you all already know it ^^;;
(i'm talking about the main page, not the forums)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: i just redesigned my site
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:45:52 pm »
Link please :D.

P.S. do you put the period after the smiley or before?

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:12 pm »
Link please :D.

okay >.> www.twilightskies.net

and i dont use a period when i use a smiley ^^;;

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:12:51 am »
Oh, YOU'RE twilightskies.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 11:14:59 am »
looks like crap.
repeating background picture is too small, colours have no contrast, comic isn't centered, you repeat the links when you don't have to and the whole thing is right aligned.
other than looking like a amateur job and various flaws in the drawings it loads slowly for a site that isn't graphic intensive.

it's doubtful that anyone here cares what it looks like or even reads it.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 11:39:48 am »
looks like crap.
repeating background picture is too small, colours have no contrast, comic isn't centered, you repeat the links when you don't have to and the whole thing is right aligned.
repeating bg pics arent suppost to be huge.
colors shouldnt contrast, they should blend, thats only in IE, and i was talking about firefox, easely fixed, only in IE.

to be fair, you arent wrong about the IE errors. and i need to fix them soon, but try looking in firefox.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 04:05:57 pm »
Ahhh. It all makes senses now. You are TwilightSkies. I was wondering where you went off to.
I can't say I'm super excited your back though. Don't take that the wrong way.

As far as this site goes, it's alright I guess. Nothing too great, or too special. But I've definitely seen much worse.
It's just a little too BLUE for me though.

I say before the smiley.  :D

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 08:40:45 pm »
looks like crap.
colors shouldnt contrast, they should blend, thats only in IE, and i was talking about firefox, easely fixed, only in IE.

to be fair, you arent wrong about the IE errors. and i need to fix them soon, but try looking in firefox.

Don't assume most members who post here are using IE when they give criticism. The site demographics here include a lot of Firefox users.

For starters, the main problem you're having is your strange attraction to rather nightmarishly glaring blue color schemes that nobody else likes. I suggest going outside during the daytime more regularly and getting used to natural colors.

Also, applying lots of filters and layer effects, then randomly selecting and filling or deleting stuff is not design. Hell, I don't even use filters most of the time. Honestly, you have to be more conscious about what you're doing. Even the fancy grunge effects and abstract stuff you see out there is usually somewhat planned and consciously crafted.

As for the comic, to whoever it is that does that part, I won't even touch the art, since it can work as is and that's just something that takes time (fix the text bubbles though -- at least use a simple, clean, lighter font that doesn't work against the artwork, and more bubbly text bubbles instead of the rounded rectangles). I will say that it should help to add color or some grayscale tones, or pay more attention to the line weight, because otherwise the foreground and the characters just don't "pop out" enough, and some of the panels become difficult to make out.

However, even if the art is going to be what it is and you're just using a 2x2 box format, that's all the more reason to pay attention to everything else. Pay extra attention to the writing and setting up each panel. Try to lighten up on the unnecessary bits of Weeaboo humor (try to save it for when you have to break some tension) and focus more on the visual narrative and being more cinematic (i.e. more movie-ish). Here's a not-so-great example to help illustrate what I mean about the narrative:

If you're finding yourself resorting to outright saying what's happening (So and so are sneaking into X for Y), then you're not doing it right. At the very least, try to use the dialogue before outright narrating.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:14:40 pm by Ramsus »

Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 09:01:25 pm »
Things to do to improve your design ability:

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 10:45:04 pm »
looks like crap.

i don't use IE, i use safari another browser like FF that doesn't have issues like IE.
True, colours should blend all the time but they need to have contrast when used as buttons or the areas containing them, they should still be blue to keep consistency but need to be off more from the original colours lightness and saturation.
Repeating backgrounds shouldn't be huge, but what you have is repeating is too small and you end up having too many hexagons, put fewer bigger ones in the image 1 full one per 100x100 pixel repeating image perhaps.

Ramsus knows lots about this stuff so listen to him, but you need to sit and look at well designed sites and find out what makes them look good.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:03:37 am »
redesigned again.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 09:12:04 am »
It looks better, I guess. You should just get a Mac with iWeb and make a website based on one of those cheesy, shitty templates.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 09:37:29 am »
Wow. You call that kind of thing a 'site', now?

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 01:38:36 pm »
hey thanks for the non-constructive criticism. by the way, fuck off.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:56:44 pm »
hey thanks for the non-constructive criticism. by the way, fuck off.

O... kay?