Author Topic: Lavos Question  (Read 4570 times)

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
Lavos Question
« on: August 28, 2007, 03:29:19 pm »
Okay, so some say he isnt evil cause he is just eating, but than WHY DID HE RANDOMLY USE DESTRUCTION RAINS FROM THE HEAVENS!?

that kinda seems a bit even, i mean, he was done eating, so he coulda just left, and dont tell me DRFH is how he eats, cause his spikes dont have mouths on them.

anyway, just why DID he do that?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Lavos Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 04:09:11 pm »
He can't breed peacefully if all of human civilization is trying to destroy him with futuristic technology.

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
  • Male...female......what's the difference?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:09:43 pm »
Okay, so some say he isnt evil cause he is just eating, but than WHY DID HE RANDOMLY USE DESTRUCTION RAINS FROM THE HEAVENS!?

We don't know a lot of things about Lavos, mainly due to the fact that nothing much was really explained about him.
Of the few things that we do know, is that he fell on the planet on the year 65,000,000 B.C. and that he has been feeding on the planet's energy since then; that his power can be extracted and manipulated to a certain degree through the Mammon Machine, and that he makes the world a fairly inhabitable place for humans to continue living.

that kinda seems a bit even, i mean, he was done eating, so he coulda just left, and dont tell me DRFH is how he eats, cause his spikes dont have mouths on them.

We don't know if he is evil or not. If he is sentient or if he merely acts out of pure instincts. If he was created by someone as a biological weapon or if he is simply a really advanced creature in the process of evolution. We don't know what his real purpose was for destroying normal living conditions on the planet on the year 1999.
So yeah, like I said, we don't know a lot of things.

anyway, just why DID he do that?

This act was probably related in someway to benefit his offspring, the Lavos Spawns.

alpha

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
while he could survive an onslought from the humans of the era.. if they still existed in great numbers the spawn would not have survived hence the destructive rain. Now chrono cross made severall references to lavos being able to hate. That would indicate some form of sentience and in most video games and books and what not.. the ability to truly hate is reserved for evil. so...

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 09:59:54 am »
Yes I also thought he did that so he could spread Lavos Spawns. His true objective was to create loads of Lavos Spawns, send them to other planets, and let them grow into a "real" Lavos, I think. Why this would be objective beats me as well. I guess it is a course of nature, and as said before, Lavos is a mystery. We have no idea what he really is or where he came from.

klois

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 05:59:12 am »
Destruction Rains from Heaven.. Well, it looks a lot like rocks that flew up and then fell back down after Lavos 'rushed' to the surface. That would be normal for anything that 'rushes' to the surface from beneath the ground. And I only say rushes because you can only imagine.

Going to the evil part.. he may or may not be evil, but Lavos is a lot like humans in that he influenced living things for his own benefit, kinda like we have farm animals, so we can eventually make them into edible goodies. If we ever had 'enough' to eat, perhaps we would use our own 'Destruction Rains from Heaven' on the almost completely worthless farm animals or maybe we'd let them do their own thing, as long as they stay out of our way.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 06:25:53 am by klois »

Radox Redux

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 11:16:36 am »
Whether sentient or not Lavos percieved humans as a threat to his offspring and bombarded the planet. It's that simple really. Although there are still some humans left in 2400 AD it should be noted that by the time his Lavos Spawn have grown enough to depart in daddy's footsteps for another planet, the humans would've been likely to die through sheer lack of resources.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:05:56 pm »
Given that Lavos rains destruction when it is awakened in Zeal as well, maybe he is just REALLY grumpy when he wakes up.

Or it could be as simple as getting rid of the competition (it isn't unheard of for animals to do this in nature). Zeal was getting to be advanced enough to perhaps start exploring space, so lavos did away with it. 1999 was apparently fairly advanced, so they might have been thinking about exploring outer space. Lavos did away with them. Now outer space would be all nice and empty for its spawn to replicate in without pests flying around.

TimeTraveller

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 07:09:39 am »
But when Magus awakens Lavos in 600 A.D. in the original timeline, it doesn't destroy anything. Probably it finds no need to destroy anyone besides Magus - that started to battle with Lavos by his own will - because no one in 600 A.D. is really a threat to it.

It really seems that Lavos is able to find out when the humans are becoming a real threat to it and is capable of destroying them in that case.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:23:22 am »
I sort of felt that there are two possible reasons why Lavos would emerge when he did: A) He could sense a threat somehow (also part of the reason why he took out Zeal) or B) it was chance, IE he'd had enough food and it was time to get on with the procreation already. There couldn't be any other logical reason why he'd CHOOSE to emerge than those two. Possible he was forced out? Maybe a science project we now know nothing about since the Lavos timeline is gone?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 12:12:21 pm »
I sort of felt that there are two possible reasons why Lavos would emerge when he did: A) He could sense a threat somehow (also part of the reason why he took out Zeal) or B) it was chance, IE he'd had enough food and it was time to get on with the procreation already. There couldn't be any other logical reason why he'd CHOOSE to emerge than those two. Possible he was forced out? Maybe a science project we now know nothing about since the Lavos timeline is gone?

Well the game implies that when Lavos arose in 1999 AD it was by choice; he came to the surface to spawn and send the buggers off into space. Logically, he couldn't send them off into space very well if they were covered by several miles of the earth's crust. I suspect he tried to kill off humanity and all life at that point just so that his spawn would have a safe playpen, as it were.

As for the first time, I maintain that he is really just grumpy when he wakes up.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 06:27:44 pm »

Well the game implies that when Lavos arose in 1999 AD it was by choice; he came to the surface to spawn and send the buggers off into space. Logically, he couldn't send them off into space very well if they were covered by several miles of the earth's crust. I suspect he tried to kill off humanity and all life at that point just so that his spawn would have a safe playpen, as it were.

As for the first time, I maintain that he is really just grumpy when he wakes up.

No, you see, there are only two reasons Lavos would attack (to the extent he did): instinct or planned aggression. If he was just "grumpy" I rather doubt he'd eliminate all traces of biological life outside the domes unto the farthest reaches of the planet. It doesn't make sense. He didn't do that in 12000 BC, after all, merely took out Zeal and went back to sleep. Perhaps then he was "grumpy". But not in 1999 AD.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 06:44:22 pm »
No, you see, there are only two reasons Lavos would attack (to the extent he did): instinct or planned aggression. If he was just "grumpy" I rather doubt he'd eliminate all traces of biological life outside the domes unto the farthest reaches of the planet. It doesn't make sense. He didn't do that in 12000 BC, after all, merely took out Zeal and went back to sleep. Perhaps then he was "grumpy". But not in 1999 AD.

Sorry, the grumpy remark was supposed to be a joke. But I agree, he wasn't just grumpy in 1999 AD. I just, jokingly, supposed that he was grumpy the first time he surfaced; that is, in 12000. 1999 only makes sense if he wanted to spawn (as stated, he couldn't very well send his spawn into space from within the planet; the planet would get in the way).

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 05:49:38 am »
Lavos isn't evil, humans aren't evil, we just do what's needed to survive. You can compare it with World of Warcraft (lol) The Horde and Alliance: Both sides think the other side is evil, and kill them to survive.

The humans can't survive with Lavos around, so they fight him. Lavos can't survive with the humans around fighting him and his spawns, so he attempts to destroy them.

It's pretty obvious really. It's not a matter of evil or not, it's a matter of survival. In order for one species to survive, another species has to be eradicated. The war between humans and reptites also display this.

chronos_cat

• Iokan (+1)
  • check out the entire ChronoTrigger Unglued series!
    • View Profile
    • www.newgrounds,com
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:40 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you're right. My theory is that Lavos is indeed female, and is a "mother" of the spawns. Every mother has that maternal instinct to want her children to be safe. Lavos is like an animal, killing humans or other animals to protect it's young. So that would make Lavos destroying earth as part of its nature. There are probably hundreds of other Lavoses(good god, imagine that!) feeding off planets in the solar system. It's just there nature, they aren't doing it just to kill.