Author Topic: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures  (Read 28390 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Okay, Chrono Cross Textures
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2007, 04:57:16 pm »
I wonder if that's related to the fact that FaustWolf dumped his as Extract Image (Content) rather than (Raw), which I'm assuming Luminaire did (although...my assumption could be dead wrong).

I wonder what the difference is between those, anyway. Raw produces screwed up TIMs, so maybe raw is somehow interleaved?

Ramsus

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2007, 05:03:29 pm »
I wonder if that's related to the fact that FaustWolf dumped his as Extract Image (Content) rather than (Raw), which I'm assuming Luminaire did (although...my assumption could be dead wrong).

I wonder what the difference is between those, anyway. Raw produces screwed up TIMs, so maybe raw is somehow interleaved?

What software are these options in reference to? If I can track it down and figure it out, I might be able to write a converter, or modify the dump program to work on the other type as well.

That might also mean the TIMs extracted by the dump program might be screwed up, since it works on the RAW version of the ISO. You'll have to check Luminaire's output files yourself, since I don't have a TIM viewer. There should be some under character faces.

Later I'll add some magic filetype detection support that can give some of the files the correct file extension, but for now just try the obvious once (like character faces).

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2007, 05:11:48 pm »
For my own part, I use IsoBuster. The .bin file I ripped was produced through "Extract CD <Image> -> RAW", whereas the iso was produced through "Extract CD <Content> -> Extract User Data".  There's also other ripping options in IsoBuster, but I'm not familiar with them.

Since the .bin method messes up the dynamic .TIM textures, I'm kinda worried about how the results will turn out since we used .bins with your updtated dumper. But maybe it turned out okay; no way to tell for sure until I do some hex checking and see if I can find some way to view the various .OUT files.

EDIT: I'm doing some scans with PSicture...BRB.

EDIT: The results are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

BF contains scannable image data. Various textures, not screwy, not sure we've got them all. And there's a 2D snapshot of Kid's   character model in here.
BS contains no scannable image data.
CD contains scannable image data - eye textures.
CF contains the long character portraits. They're broken in half though. Zeality, is that the way things were to begin with?
CTF contains character face portraits. Not screwy.
MISC produced some stuff but makes PSicture crash. :shock:
OAM contains three dynamic character textures - two cats and one Acacia soldier I think. Not screwy, but not sure why PSicture  isn't seeing the others.
OMCM has more dynamic textures.
Rooms has the rest of our textures, oddly enough. Though I worry about the unseemly number of "Invalid files" contained within. But PSXMultiripper gave me the same kind of .TIM files too, so maybe there's no incongruity here at all.
ROT has the rare objects, as can be expected.
SCL contains the full character portraits, assembled this time.
V has no scannable images, but that's because it should only contain the .SRT vids.
WF is just the window frames, as Ramsus has already surmised.

In short, I can't confirm that we've got everything, but I can confirm that what we have is in good shape.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 05:39:34 pm by FaustWolf »

Ramsus

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2007, 05:20:11 pm »
I checked the headers of a few of Luminaire's samples earlier, and some are TIM files. I suggest trying to open them and posting the results. Also, File 0000.out is the game's executable binary (or at least the first part of it). I don't know much about PSX development, but a MIPS pro could probably use that as a starting point to reverse engineer the game's code.

And lastly, there should be a lot of other files that go in MISC that probably come in a variety of formats that Yazoo just didn't have time or the interest to identify. There might even be 3D models in there somewhere, so definitely check it out.

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2007, 05:30:39 pm »
Yeah, I just used the CD image I had "acquired" from long ago, so I don't really know which way it was made.

EDIT: I downloaded PSicture and looked at a random sampling of the .out/.tim files, including some of the character model textures, and they don't appear to be scrambled at all. Maybe I do have a "good" iso.  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 05:42:11 pm by Luminaire85 »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2007, 05:42:29 pm »
My guess is that Yazoo's dumper corrects for the junk data that gets put into the iso/bin when it's ripped a certain way. That would explain why we're only getting 605MB versus our 700+MB .bin files -- the dumper cuts out 100+MB of junk data that's injected during the ripping process.

EDIT: Er, waitaminute -- I'm not sure I ever asked you Luminaire, are you using a .bin or an .iso? I've got a .bin that's 700+MB. Maybe you've got an .iso that's the same size, and our hashes are different because the two disc images were ripped in different ways?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 05:47:25 pm by FaustWolf »

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2007, 05:52:11 pm »
I am using CD images labeled as .bin (there's .cue files with them too), but the images are >700 MB.

Ramsus

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2007, 05:56:25 pm »
The length is the same, but there's something different with the arrangement inside. Whatever the case, Luminaire's images probably match what Yazoo used, so I'll use his checksum as the "correct" checksum. I suggest trying to rip images with different options and different formats until we find out how to get an image with a checksum that match's his.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2007, 06:07:13 pm »
How weird. I should go back and reread all this to grasp the logic.

Anyway, yeah, the main character images are broken in half. For some reason, there are a second set of identical but smaller menu images. No idea where those are used.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2007, 06:09:05 pm »
Yeah, it's odd. I've got a .bin with the same file size as Luminaire's but a different hash. Whatever - as long as we've got all the files, that's what matters. I'll do some different rips during the week and see what I come up with.

Ramsus

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2007, 06:36:29 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the images. I checked and ImageMagick handles the TIMs correctly. If other programs aren't, then it's probably just a variation they aren't able to handle right now. Later I'll write a script to auto-convert them to our format of choice using ImageMagick's library.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 06:39:12 pm by Ramsus »

Ramsus

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2007, 06:40:35 pm »
The other two...

Ramsus

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2007, 06:47:50 pm »
Also, here are some compiled versions of those cctools. The filenames are hardcoded, and the setup that Yazoo seemed to use was:

Somefolder (name it Cross):

Cross\iso\ <- This folder had the iso files in it. Name the one you want to extract cd1.iso
Cross\cctools\ <- This has the .exe files in it.
Cross\WHATEVER\disk1 <- This is where the dump program extracts everything, where WHATEVER is MISC, V, WF, CTF, etc. depending on the type of file.

Then you just run the programs from Cross\cctools. This way, once you extract everything, the other programs should be able to find the extracted files without modification.

Also, since I don't have a copy of the game, I can't test these tools for bugs, so be warned. Later, when I get a copy, I'll go back and be able to test everything and debug stuff, so just be patient.

EDIT: Also, there's a missing source file that was originally named lzss-dec.cpp. Maybe Yazoo never got around to writing it, but then that means the Room-decompressor program was never finished. Either that, or it got lost somewhere.

EDIT2: I'll probably start work on this stuff next weekend when I'm up in San Francisco. Post as many problems/requests as you can before then, and explore as many of the files as possible. I'll also try to look up information on possible file formats used and try to "auto-detect" them and give the correct extensions where possible.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 06:59:50 pm by Ramsus »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »
I wonder what all these other decompression .exes are. I hope they're in English.

I'm dumping the contents myself now for exploration. I'll sick TIMViewer on everything if I can and see if it generates the same amount of unique TIMs as it does when used on an ISO.

Yeah, sounds pretty redundant, but I've become obsessive.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:12:47 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2007, 07:21:55 pm »
Can anyone get PSXMC or PSMPlay to play the video files? PSXMC isn't taking them.

Edit: WOW! The battle fields have all the images organized BY location within each .OUT file. This is...this is beautiful. Now I can make a new TIM texture pack and PROPERLY organize them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:32:23 pm by ZeaLitY »