Author Topic: CHRONO TRIGGER: PROPHET'S GUILE, CT2 Interview  (Read 12852 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: CHRONO TRIGGER: PROPHET'S GUILE, CT2 Interview
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
Yeah. I think someone recorded a playing time of 2 hours, with perhaps 45 minutes attainable if he rushed and skipped all the dialogue. Maybe even less than that.

SirSabin

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 07:59:02 pm »
An excellent piece of fan work! Zeality, you and the other designers should be very proud of this one.

I'll give a bit of feedback, as you asked.

1. It was excellently done.
2. All very nice looking.
3. It was also excellently done.
4. I found it, and loved it. Truly beautiful.
5. For the most part, his dialogue was well-written, but there were a few times when his eloquence crossed the line to grandiloquence. For example, I don't know anyone, even professors, who use words like seriatim, or beryl. The word 'aetheric' isn't even in my 10 jillion page dictionary, although 'aethereal' is, and its meaning is exactly the same as 'ethereal'. *shrugs*
6. Both were very well designed.
7. The scenario and the music were both excellent.
8. I kept him safe, although I went back a second time and let him die just to see what would happen.
9. The battle scene was well done. Melchior showed little fear of Magus, and why should he? As a Guru, Melchior has powerful magic too, and obviously knows a lot about weaponry, or else could not have built the masamune.
10. Excellent in every way.
11. Some have criticised this part as interpretive rather than purely canon, but then, the entire fan-game had to be interpretive, as we had no hard facts on Magus' actions at this point, other than his donning the guise of the prophet. In any case, I liked this part very much.
12. Interesting.
13. Only one :(
14. Excellent soundtrack, definitely a good move.

Vlcice

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 12:21:46 am »
I've had a chance to give the game another test on my SNES. I got as far as Mt. Woe, before losing in a somewhat embarassing manner, and decided since I can't save to just leave it there. Here's what I've found:

- Saving and loading games still isn't working. I tried loading SRMs from Prophet's Guile and the original Chrono Trigger, but neither were recognized.
- There was a sprite positioning error the first time Magus asked for an audience with Queen Zeal. After being told he could enter, he stepped back diagonally back-right instead of straight back and consequently clipped the right side of the door on the way through. My second time through that event, it didn't happen.
- When Magus was being shown the way to his room, there was a Nu standing in front of the wall where the door was hidden. It disappeared shortly before the servant opened the door. ZSNES doesn't appear to show this Nu.
- The music is mixed. Some new songs are fine others have severe problems. I'll go through them in the order of the tracklist as given in the SPC set that came with the patch; I've made recordings of new songs even when they sounded fine.

I seem to have lost my post in the process of typing this up, so let's see if I can get this redone somewhat coherently:

01 Zeal Palace - Sounds fine.
02 Lavos's Theme - Sounds fine.
03 Wind - Sounds fine.
04 Zeal - This is still my favourite song from the game. Sounds fine.
05 Enhasa - As mentioned before, this suffers from bad "mechanical" glitch sounds, though the basic melody is audible. Recording
06 Brink of Time - Sounds fine. Recording
07 Kajar - Sounds fine. Recording
08 I'm not sure if I heard this one.
09 Silent Light - Mostly sounds fine, but I noticed a few subtle divergences between the SNES and ZSNES - not glitches like the others. The volume balancing of instruments seems different; as well, am I just noticing things or is there a longer decay on background instruments on the SNES? (I think it sounds better that way.) Recording
10 Battle 1 - Sounds normal.
11 Boss 1 - Sounds normal.
12 I didn't really notice much about this one, sorry.
13 Grieve - Seems fine. I didn't get a chance to record this song, sorry.
14 Zeal 2 - More mechanical glitching. It destroys the melody in the second half of the song, unfortunately. Recording
15 Mt. Woe - Yet more glitching; it suffers basically the same problems as the others. Recording
17 Cerulean Lake - Seems to play fine, but I'm not really sure what this song is meant to sound like. Recording

I'll also give my impressions of the hack as a whole from what I've played, both answering your questions and a few points on my own:

1. His monologue came across as clichéd to me. Unfortunately, it's hard to express this kind of surprise well without having resource to facial expressions, and Magus's sprite is one of the least expressive in the game.
2. The pattern is nice, but it makes the limitations of the palette a bit too evident by ephasizing the colour banding.
3. It seemed fine.
5. Yes, and this was one of my least favourite things about the hack. He reminds me a bit too strongly of Redd White from Phoenix Wright.
- Following up on that, I also found the dialogue of the people of Enhasa to be similarly overwrought. For lack of a better word, they and the Prophet seem "fanfictiony" - they have that style that seems popular among amateur authors who want to make their characters seem regal, intellectual, or the like. They didn't seem to fit with the rest of the dialogue in the hack. In general, the wide plotting was well done and fit very well into the original game, but the actual dialogue was rough. It could have used at least one round of external copy-editing, preferably by someone from outside the fandom. (I hope this doesn't sound too harsh - I'm not meaning to insult you or your writing, Zeality. Communicating tone over the internet is difficult, and I worry about sounding the wrong way when I'm trying to make constructive criticism.)
6. It was a bit too short. I realize this is a short hack, but I would have preferred something a bit more involving. What design is there is well-done and fun, but it feels as though it ended just as I was leaving the introductory room. The boss was slightly anticlimactic as well, since it was essentially no more difficult than the regular enemies. The scene with the Lasher seemed fine, but it didn't really seem to play much of a role. It was better than having Magus leave without nothing happen.
7. The song fit the scene quite well, but see my comment later.
8. Unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be quite enough indication which enemies can be attacked with him running away safely and which will involve his being hit by the enemies.

As well, some general comments:
- It's surprisingly coherent and polished for a fangame; everything seems to fit together quite well. It fits into the plot of the original game nicely, and I can imagine it having happened there. It's certainly a better sequel than Radical Dreamers.
- The choice to include new music and arrangements was a good one, and I enjoyed those ones that worked. The Romancing SaGa songs are noticeably different from Chrono Trigger's in style, however, and they just don't seem to meld properly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:30:58 am by Vlcice »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 12:51:17 am »
Nah, don't worry. It was the first run, and I even worried out loud in the PG forum that I had written Enhasa and Kajar too extravagantly. The Lasher's dialogue is more on par.

Thanks for the test. One of the French forums in the Buzz Tracking Thread also loaded it on his SNES, but didn't go into detail. Cerulean Lake sounds as it does in ZSNES.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:53:30 am by ZeaLitY »

Vlcice

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 01:13:35 am »
Oops, there's a Prophet's Guile forum? I completely missed that when looking for somewhere to post my copier comments. Should I have posted there?

Enhasa bothered me more than Kajar. Maybe because it's the first real opportunity the player has to interact with the game, and the style of dialogue made me worry about the game as a whole, while by the time I reached Kajar I had seen better writing in the scene with Janus, Gaspar and the Lasher that made me more optimistic.

Yes, they seem to have only mentioned the same Ocean Palace bug as everyone else.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 01:24:16 am »
Not at all; this thread is fine.

Korro

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Does a time egg hatch a time bird?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2008, 01:07:05 am »
Hm, I'm having a little trouble with the golem boss. Any pointers?

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2008, 01:08:22 am »
Magic wall, Fire 2, and never physically attack him.
EDIT: Also never use Lightning 2. Ice 2 might be alright, but I still think his counter for Fire 2 is weaker.

That's how I beat him at least, and fairly easily too.

EDIT: Glad to hear you beat him lol.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:13:05 am by Glennleo »

Korro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2008, 01:10:49 am »
Thats how Ive been doing it...
Thanks anyway! But ironically, right after I posted that I happened to beat him.  :lee:

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2008, 04:49:05 am »

Arc Impulse is your friend.

Korro

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2008, 04:00:02 pm »
I have none of that spell. :(

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2008, 07:52:32 pm »

He meant in the Prophet's Guile hack. Not the actual game.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 01:05:06 am »

He meant in the Prophet's Guile hack. Not the actual game.

Ah, my bad. Arc Impulse ruins the Golems in Chrono Trigger.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2008, 03:29:54 pm »
FINALLY just finished Prophet's Guile...  I currently only own a Mac, so I had quite the adventure trying to get it up and running (first I had to find a Mac emulator, then the CT rom, then find a Mac patcher program (which wasn't a recognized file with my mozilla, which kept trying to open it as a text file, so I had to download the proper extractor file)..

anywho, the mod was great.  it was nice to play a CT mod that felt complete.  yeah, sure, it was on the short side, but i won't complain.  i just wish that the dungeons were longer (they felt a little short to me).

the dialogue was fine, the script was fine, the design was fine, the art was fine...

thanks for making it!

PS - i look forward to the next project as mentioned in the designers room.

Quenditar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »
I know this thread is long dead, but two weeks ago I sent a copy of Prophet's Guile to a Magus-loving friend who has never heard of the Compendium.  I thought his reaction might be of interest.  Warning: spoilers!

Friend: The hack was alright. Not quite what I was hoping for
Me: What didn't you like?
Friend: Seems like he tried way to hard to seem like an intellectual
Friend: He used words you'd never have seen in CT
Friend: Plus Magus says, "My god!"
Friend: Could you ever imagine him saying that? Ever?
Me: Yeah, the writing wasn't so good. I can see him quite surprised, though, when something really blows up in his face.
Friend: Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work they did, but I think they tried a little too hard, if you know what I mean?
Me: No, I think they just can't write.
Friend: I'm taking a speed run through it right now
Me: Short, plot holes, not the best writing...on the other hand, it's done.
Friend: This is true
Friend: Which plot holes did you notice
Friend: Also, where the heck do I drop from at Mt. Woe? I see a treasure chest that I can't access
Friend: Nevermind, I found it
Me: Mostly the spells, although the total plot is a bit weird.
Friend: Yeah, magic wall is altogether useless
Friend: I didn't get any other spells. What is Magus without darkmatter? Granted it's supposed to be relatively early in the game
Me: Well, that's the big hole, he hasn't lost his powers yet.
Me: I don't think adding in the other spells would even hurt the game.
Me: With how few ethers there are, players would learn not to use Dark Matter every battle or else.
Friend: Well, I find that the last possible battle before the golem is the best place to level. The eel gives you a tonic and an ether, so you kill the two other guys with whichever spell, the eel drains your MP, then you use regular attacks against him until he's dead
Friend: Then you leave the room, use an ether and repeat the process. You get 2500EXP each time
Me: Yeah, that would work. I never saw the point of leveling up, though; it's like CT (and unlike some even worse CT spinoff fan-made games) in not needing any more leveling than you get from fighting every battle once.
Friend: I had a rough time with the golem
Friend: I had to level to lv. 40
Me: I was at 40 for that scene, IIRC.
Friend: I see
Friend: I think I'm at 38
Me: Ah, forgot, you went for a speed play and I didn't.
Me: I think for the golem I used Magic Wall and then attacked with Fire 2 till I ran out of Magic Wall, HP, MP, or golem.
Friend: Did magic wall even do anything?
Friend: I found that he did the same amount of damage with or without it
Me: I found it made a difference.