Author Topic: I'm curious...  (Read 13583 times)

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
I'm curious...
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:53:03 pm »
Why is it that in the beginning of Chrono Trigger, Marle gets on the telepod and she gets sent to the past, and the pendant stays, but when Crono goes on the telepod he takes the pendant with him?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: I'm curious...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:54:39 pm »
Entity.

Trixter

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:42:23 pm »
Oh yea let's just throw out the Entity line anytime there's an inconsistency in the game.  The more blunt truth about this is that there are holes in Chrono Trigger that aren't explainable.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:45:37 pm »
Another explanation I've heard is that she just dropped it and Crono kept a tight grip on it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:12:21 pm »
The Entity created the Gates and caused that reaction, as Lucca even postulates. Its not unreasonable to conclude that the Entity also controlled the parameters of that event, like what happens to Marle's pendant.

Or, you can just say that Yuuji Horii screwed up again. But we have a reasonable answer, so it needn't be a plot hole.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:30:12 pm »
Another explanation I've heard is that she just dropped it and Crono kept a tight grip on it.

I've always thought this. Never really thought it could even be anything else.

Trixter

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 10:47:50 pm »

^This sounds so much better than that Entity crap.

Plus there doesn't have to be an Entity anyways.  The characters only speculate about it over the camp fire.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:19:28 pm »
Then who created the Gates?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 11:30:33 pm »
Did Kato ever explain anything about the Entity aside from the fact that it's literally the planet itself? The Entity must have a consciousness to have planned out events as it did; leads me to view the Chrono world as infused by an intelligent spiritual presence, sort of like the Lifestream, and perhaps related to the Nu in some way. The PSX North American release instruction book says Crono was chosen by "guardian spirits," but that's easy enough to write off as translation weirdness unless it's backed up by hard proof from Kato himself.

EDIT: Waitaminute, now my CT instruction booklet says nothing about these "guardian spirits." Did I make that up? Could have sworn I saw it somewhere...

EDIT: Says it here...
http://www.fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/ctabout.htm

Did that "guardian spirits" thing appear in the SNES instruction booklet? Thus making it a Woolsey-ism? And hey, someone needs to let that site know to add Prophet's Guile to the Fanbase Accomplishments section...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:38:09 pm by FaustWolf »

Trixter

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:36:20 pm »
Then who created the Gates?

Lavos.  It's pretty obvious Lavos was the cause for the gates.  You see him crash into Tyrano Lair in 65M, and then a gate appears right there.  Then again in 12,000 BC you see the three gurus and Janus get engulfed by gates when getting near Lavos.  Also, at the end of the game when you beat Lavos the gates disappear.  If the Pocket Dimension theory is right then that means Lavos has some kind of control/intereaction with time so it makes sense that it created the gates.

It also seems like the gates or time travel in general can be created though magic or technology too.
1)  Luccas Telepod technology interacts with Marle's pendant creating a gate.
2)  When you first fight Magus he is summoning Lavos with a huge gate.
3)  Belthasar created the Epoch which can travel to any time period

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 03:30:17 pm »
Ah, so it's all magic chance by Lavos, yet somehow, all the way to 1999 A.D. no other Gates were created by science.

There's a reason people in the game outright state that Lavos isn't responsible, and that the planet can and does dream. The Entity's existence is perfectly logical, whereas needing Lavos to create the Gates involves a ton of random chance.

Trixter

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 06:08:55 pm »
Ah, so it's all magic chance by Lavos, yet somehow, all the way to 1999 A.D. no other Gates were created by science.

There's a reason people in the game outright state that Lavos isn't responsible, and that the planet can and does dream. The Entity's existence is perfectly logical, whereas needing Lavos to create the Gates involves a ton of random chance.

Why does technology have to create a gate between 1000 and 1999?  Lucca created one by accident. And the only pure technologically created gate (the Epoch) was made by Belthasar in 2300.  The gate to 1999 is there because Lavos appeared there.  It's not just random chance that all these gates pop up right where Lavos has interacted.  And they don't ever state that Lavos isn't responsible, they are just talking about what they think over a campfire.

If the planet really is doing all this dreaming you're talking about then why doesn't it conjure something up in Chrono Cross to save itself from the Time Devourer?  If it wasn't for Belthasar creating his elabortate plan the planet would've been doomed.  If what your saying is true then why didn't another set of gates just magically appear to help some group go around and save the planet?

Plus, after Lavos is destroyed the gates magically disappear, but the Epoch still works.  If the Epoch was confounded to only work with Entity gates, as you put it, then why would the Epoch still work?  hmmm?

Whatever though.  Think what you want, but there's NO entity, and the planet doesn't have a consciousness of it's own or anything like that.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 06:10:12 pm »

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 06:23:04 pm »
Wow, I didn't think it would turn into a debate over the existance of the Entity...

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 06:54:52 pm »
Wow, I didn't think it would turn into a debate over the existance of the Entity...

Haha, me either.

Zeality why must you always use that picture?
It's funny to me, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't help your argument in the eyes of the opposing poster.