Author Topic: Harle-origin and accent  (Read 5498 times)

chronos_cat

• Iokan (+1)
  • check out the entire ChronoTrigger Unglued series!
    • View Profile
    • www.newgrounds,com
Harle-origin and accent
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:34:09 pm »
We all know Harlequin with her lovable French accent. But wait a second-where does she get this accent? I've also noted that at some points she'll use French phrases. But why is she the only character in CC and CT to ever speak in a different language? On her profile, her origin is "unknown". So just where is this unknown french place?

That leads to another question: has there always been 1 dominant language in the CC and CT worlds? When you travel throught time in CT, all throughout history theres the same language in the same places.(well, obviously the game is made like that for the player. but usually there are different languages in a world...)

Why did they randomly include this accent? Maybe it has something to do with Harle being a Dragon God. Maybe they want to show her different from all the rest of the characters to hint that she is this special Dragon God being.

Well, any ideas?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Harle-origin and accent
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »
Pierre speaks a little French, I believe. ZOMG -- Pierre/Harle connection!? I shall have to ponder this...

As for whether we should take the accents as "canon," I suppose we could take into consideration whether the accents were present in the Japanese script penned directly by Kato.

chronos_cat

• Iokan (+1)
  • check out the entire ChronoTrigger Unglued series!
    • View Profile
    • www.newgrounds,com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:52:27 pm »
Pierre speaks a little French, I believe. ZOMG -- Pierre/Harle connection!? I shall have to ponder this...

As for whether we should take the accents as "canon," I suppose we could take into consideration whether the accents were present in the Japanese script penned directly by Kato.

Ooo, maybe Pierre and Harle came from same place-what if they're RELATED?? :shock: They do seem similar...i mean, accents and clothing...

But it is possible it wasnt in the original version, after all too...hmm...

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Once and Future King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:01:46 pm »
Yeah, they are similar, but wasn't Pierre's accent and fashion sense just a front. Meaning that it really isn't him, ignoring that his personality is based around his fake image.

(I'm aware that the Pierre/Harle connection statement was likely in jest.)

As for where she got her accent, I've no idea. Maybe the only settlements we could go to on the map were ones which spoke English, since across the globe the majority of them had some tie with Guardia.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:23:42 pm »
Nice interpretation of Pierre's character, Avalon. I didn't pick up on it before, probably because I've only begun pondering Pierre recently. I was at least partially serious about a possible Harle/Pierre connection though -- my mind grabs for straws in an effort to determine how relationships among this vast cast could possibly be tightened.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
Someone's been watching LOST, me thinkeths...

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:52:07 pm »
I'd imagine that they may have been in the same place at one point, Pierre being easily forgetable and Pierre only remembering the accent... That's the best connection I've got...

Apparently in the Chrono universe (English version at least) are a natural part of the being it belongs to. Please note that I'm using Kid as my reference (Her having been raised by someone markedly lacking an Australian accent.) So there are clear problems with this idea.

TimeJammer81

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:11:28 am »
I always seen it like this: Harle's being is almost opposite of Kid. Where as Kid has a rather cockney/Australian-esque accent, and she is presented as being tomboyish, Harle has the French accent. French, which is almost known to be the language of love. French accents are sexy. Perhaps it was to show that Harle wasn't like Kid. Her accent is more feminine, more soft, perhaps.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:34:23 am »
Harle doesn't have a French accent in the Japanese release...idk about Pierre...I'm fairly sure Kid still talks like that though...

...as for languages...there's the script of Zealian that Melchior uses on the Masamune...

Quote from: Robo (Compendium Retranslation)
Something IS writTEN down in an ancient era's hieroglyphic characters. I SHALL try decoding it......

I just used the Retrans since I have it handy & it's a bit more specific, I think, than the Woosley'd version...But yeah, if they had a different written language at one time, it's not unreasonable to assume they had a different spoken language as well...

Also...there's this bit from Magus, of course...

Quote from: Magus (Compendium Retranslation)
'Da zuma lafwa roh laira......'Be spun, betwixt heaven and earth......'In exchange for this earth's life......!

Which is the retranslated version we all knew as...

Quote from: Magus (Woosley'd Out of His Ass Translation)
Neuga Zeina Zieber Zom...now the chosen time has come...exchange this world for...!

Whether Magus' words are actually part of that ancient Zealian script (would a make moderate amount of sense, right?), some incantation actually required for his summoning, or just random gibberish he uses to focus his Magical abilities is, of course, completely up in the air...but if it's either of the former, that would give credence to the idea of the Chronoverse having multiple languages, if nothing else, than at some point in it's history...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 10:50:41 am »
Given that Harle was created by the Dragon Gods, I would say that is is quite likely everything about her is likewise a construct; like her form itself, the accent was just a disguise (or psuedo-guise, as Belthasar might put it).

Given Harle's total potential power (being a sort of patron deity of the Chrono Cross), dressing like a harlequin and having a french accent might lead people to underestimate her (and thus, more likely to trust her). Sort of like Jester from DMC3, if you will.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:48 am »
And what about Kid accent...

Avalon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 04:41:57 am »
Kid's accent is odd... Given that neither of the two most important figures in her early life had an Australian accent (Schala, her clone mother, and Lucca, the one whom raised her) she either just has it by virtue of being Kid, or it's a developed accent from her life after the orphanage (I haven't played the game in a while, so I don't know if she had it in the flash back thing...) In the case of the latter, she may have developed it on her own to prevent herselffrom being taken too lightly (Not entirely different from Pierre, though her more complete accent would suggest that it is an adopted accent rather than a fake one)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 09:17:41 am »
I feel like Choras could be the Chrono equivalent of Australia.  Perhaps after Lucca passed she spent a long while in Choras.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:55:07 am »
Whoa, does this mean Cyrus of Choras had an Australian accent? He'd be like Russel Crowe...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 11:04:17 am »
Oddly enough, I always took Kid's accent to just be a sort of ignorant but street smart sort of accent. You know, the sort of accent that a ruffian sent to a penal colony might have.

<.<
>.>