Author Topic: Graduation!  (Read 1006 times)

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Graduation!
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:12:03 pm »
Woot! :D I am finally graduating from High school today!  :D12 long ass years in hell.

Now, just for another four years...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Graduation!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:23:06 pm »
Congratulations! Just my 2 cents, but count on going to grad school as well. Aside from Accounting and Computer Information Science, there are very few bachelors degree-level majors that will reliably land you a job. Or maybe that's just in Ohio?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:06:03 pm »
Congrats!  Enjoy the college experience!

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:13:23 am »
Congratulations! Just my 2 cents, but count on going to grad school as well. Aside from Accounting and Computer Information Science, there are very few bachelors degree-level majors that will reliably land you a job. Or maybe that's just in Ohio?

Accounting for the win!  While you don't need to go to grad school for accounting...it would be wise to go for a designation..CPA or CMA in the States if I recall correctly or CGA/CA/CMA in Canada.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27:35 am »
Aye, the working world is like a bad James Bond movie; "A Bachelor's Degree is Not Enough."

Course, it varies by field. If you want to be a scientist, then a "Ph.D. is Not Enough." Expect about 2-6 (closer to 6, usually) years of a post-doc fellowship.

Same with M.D.'s. Residency, then often a fellowship.

The world is suffering from education-inflation.

But congratulations. Just think, a good thirty or fourty years ago, you could have gotten a good job with just a High School diploma. Now you need to spend another 4 or 5 years and about 50,000 dollars just to get the same quality of job. Doesn't it give you the warm fuzzies?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 11:30:13 am by Thought »

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:59:29 am »
Thought, I had a question for you.  My little brother is looking towards a post-secondary education in History.  What kind of career does that entail?  All I can think of is a teacher/professor but you would be the expert in this field.  Just curious, and maybe pass down a few (stolen) pearls of wisdom to my brother.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 01:18:51 pm »
Pearls of Wisdom? Hmm... would nuggets of dubious experience work? I'm not sure if I have any of the former.

Careers are mostly teaching, but also Museum Curatorship, writing (Tony Horwitz is an example of a history writer), and public history. Advising is another possibility, but I'm not aware of anyone who has made a career of it. But one might ask, "Advising what/who?" Well, video game companies often need historians (I can guarantee you that there was at least one historian, probably more, working on all the Call of Duty games). History (and the historical method) is a skill that actually translates well into almost any conceivable profession; the problem just comes in convincing people of it (people underestimate the importance of history all too often).

Your brother might want to look into getting a copy of Becoming a Historian: A Survival Manual. It might be available at a library, but I doubt it. Chances are he'll need to order it from the AHA (American Historical Association, not to be confused with the American Heart Association).

Um... actually, my response is getting pretty long. I'll send you a PM with more, so as to not hijack the thread with my hi-jinks.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:06 pm »
Congrats!  And good luck with college!  :)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 02:14:27 am »
STEALING THE THUNDER!!!

I just got back from my Graduation ceremony, luv publik eduaction!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:05:21 am »
I [...] luv publik eduaction!

I'm glad. Public Education is one of the greatest accomplishments of mankind.

... good lord, I'm depressed now.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 11:24:50 am »
I [...] luv publik eduaction!

I'm glad. Public Education is one of the greatest accomplishments of mankind.

... good lord, I'm depressed now.

No need to be depressed because.........No child is left behind!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:32:34 am »
Of course, the depressing thing about NCL-B is that some schools were so underperforming that the legislation has actually seen some success.