Author Topic: What's your "Worst game Ever"?  (Read 6039 times)

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your "Worst game Ever"?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:29 am »
Not to get into this whole FFVII remake talk...  But I would play it just to see Cid in all his PS3 glory.  I mean, did you SEE him in Advent Children?  They even had the run right!

Am I the only one who when reading Cid's speech boxes, pretends he pronounces hard words incorrectly

Remember that scene in the Shuttle where he gets caught under the huge piece of metal?

"My leg's stuck in the debris!"

Deb - Riss

Yeah.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27:52 am »
Well, none really come to mind.  I don't usually buy games unless I know they're good.  Big rigs would be my choice if I'd played the game.  That is a game I want to avoid at all costs.  The only game that comes to mind is this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sonic_Adventure_DX.PNG

I just got a gamecube for Christmas and this was the first game I bought.  First of all, it was really glitchy.  Say you're on any normal level.  Then as you go on any not so frightening loop to loop, you just fall to your death for no apparent reason.  Second, it needed more of a balance.  If you go through the game as Sonic, the game is pretty good and long.  If you go through as Tails, a bit shorter but not too bad.  Go through as practically anyone else, and you'll be lucky if that character has 5 levels.  Although the only one of those other ones I would have wanted more levels on is Knuckles.  Big, Amy, and Gamma are just not that fun.  And third, (This one isn't that important) the characters are stupid.  After you beat Eggman the first time, Tails just frolics onto the seen with an emerald.  Or when you get knocked over and one goes flying, Eggman goes normal speed while they go in slow motion.  The game gear games you unlock by getting emblems are better than the actual game.  The only part that was actually Really good, was the end of game boss.  That part was cool.  Except the plot in that scene is kind of odd, the battle is good.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 10:59:01 am »
I agree with how Big Amy and Gamma weren't fun to play as; but I didn't see any glitchiness in the game. What really creeped me out were the mouth movements, though.

The Game Gear Sonic Chaos was much better than Sonic Adventure itself, I agree.

Most Frustrating Part: the Knuckles level where you have to return the idols to the different shrines in the jungle? And you would get lost for HOURS? Ugh.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:15 pm »
The glitchy part was mainly on Sonic.  It was on the others too, but he had it worst.  Gamma I guess wasn't too bad, but he still wasn't great.  That was another point I forgot to mention.  The voices are really annoying.  I got so annoyed I turned the voices on Japanese.  The only one who wasn't less annoying was Amy.  She was worse in Japanese.  The part with Knuckles, it took me so long to do that part.  I wish it had been more like Sonic heroes where everyone has all the levels, but the levels are just shorter.  The worst part of the game was Big.  His levels are incredibly stupid.  It's times like that I wonder, What was Sega thinking?

Molotov

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • SDA Chrono Cross page.
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 03:08:52 pm »
As always, the following contains my own opinions. Please do not get butthurt about them. Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sonic_Adventure_DX.PNG

Ha, you kids and your Gamecube versions. I remember playing the game on the Dreamcast when it was fairly new, and it was awesome. Looking back, Knuckles' levels suck (beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP constantly), Gamma was pretty lame, and everyone hates Big...for good reason. I remember liking the Tails stuff (only one I got 100% on, I think) and Amy's stuff wasn't SO bad.

No idea about the Game Gear stuff, since us old geezers don't get these fancy extras.

* Molotov gets shot for extreme exaggeration.

Anyway, I feel the need to comment on some of the other things in this topic:

x_XTacTX_x: To be honest, I bet the cover art should've told you the game sucked. Never played it, but come on, a "bad" Sonic clone with a Jak/Daxter/Ratchet/Clank/whatever gun? Silly rabbit, hedgehogs don't use guns. :P

The Bouncer: I have to agree with this to an extent, because the game was a major disappointment. My sister bought it (WAY after release) and we hoped for two-player (why didn't we look on the back?), but of course didn't get it. That disappointment aside, the game itself is just too clunky and repetitive.

On the other hand, that panther woman (forgot her name) was hawt and the game increased in difficulty each time you played through. Also, I like Volt.

As for myself, probably the worst game I ever played was Unlimited Saga.

Ha, now this one I will give some credit to. The game isn't THAT bad when you get used to it (and I do mean used to it), but it certainly isn't great...outside of the soundtrack (best battle themes ever). Believe it or not, I actually completed the game and was working on a second playthrough before I moved on.

First was Ruby, second was Laura (is that the pirate woman's name?). All you really need to know is: learn Reverse Delta (axe skill) and abuse it non-stop in boss fights. I wasn't aware that weapons couldn't break mid-battle, so I didn't go completely nuts with it against the final boss, which made things much more difficult.

Now, as for my pick of worst game I've played, that's going to be tough. If I had to guess, it would be between Blood Omen 2, Grandia Xtreme, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Kingdom Hearts II. Now now, I know that last one is enough to spark heresy claims, but let me explain my reasoning for these picks:

Blood Omen 2: Clunky controls (even for someone like myself, that doesn't mind the old Resident Evil games) and a story I don't care about.

Grandia Xtreme: To be fair, I played this for a ridiculously short time and stopped. The voice acting is beyond awful, the plot/characters didn't seem interesting, and from what I've seen of the battle system, I doubt I would like it very much. Perhaps this is all too quick of a judgment, but for now, I'm saying it sucks.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: Though I don't care for first-person Metroid stuff, I did like the first Metroid Prime. Bought this game a long time after that, and lost interest rather quickly. "Boring" is easily the best word to describe the game.

Kingdom Hearts II: Yes, I said it. The first game was fantastic, with good music and an interesting concept. The second game, however, was like a flaming pile of dog crap. Basically, they assumed that by adding over 9,000 worlds that the game would be better. The problem is, they made each one about 5 minutes long. For someone like myself, who is a big Mulan fan, this is a slap in the face (not to mention they did such a poor job with that world).

The game (which I still haven't completed, and have only put about 25 hours into) just consists of "Blah blah blah! Cheesy dialogue! RIKU! KAIRI! HEARTLESS! NOBODIES!" followed by some mini-game type of goal to advance the story. Yeah, I'm sure I wanted to fight Shan Yu's army of stupid yellow floating things until I killed enough to move on.

Then we get more gems, like Roxhas (or however the dork's name is spelled), Cloud, Tifa, and Sephiroth. Roxhas and his pals were just extremely lame, no doubt about that (Axel, on the other hand, I remember as being slightly passable). Cloud, Tifa, and Sephiroth speak for themselves, since they were just there for morons to wank over for some reason.

Now, I will give Sephiroth one thing: he was a good addition to the original game, simply because he didn't appear outside of an optional (ridiculously hard) boss fight. Cloud was ok in the original as well, because he didn't have much screen time, and I think he was 5 levels down on the emo scale (by comparison to II).

Granted, if I spend more time with the game it MIGHT pick up at some point, but I'm not going to bet on that. If Yuffie can't even save the game for me...

* Molotov stops ranting for now.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 03:14:05 pm »
I disagree with you on the Kingdom Hearts II being a bad game schtick. I thought it was great. It wasn't nearly as good as the first one, olf course not, but it added a lot more to a story I can't wait to see finished.

However, I really don't like Tetsuya Nomura's new "Everything is Spiky and Everyone is Anorexic" style of game design. I definitely prefer his Md-late 90's Steampunk style, as seen in FFVII.

Zaulche

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27:27 pm »
Ha, now this one I will give some credit to. The game isn't THAT bad when you get used to it (and I do mean used to it), but it certainly isn't great...outside of the soundtrack (best battle themes ever). Believe it or not, I actually completed the game and was working on a second playthrough before I moved on.

Grandia Xtreme: To be fair, I played this for a ridiculously short time and stopped. The voice acting is beyond awful, the plot/characters didn't seem interesting, and from what I've seen of the battle system, I doubt I would like it very much. Perhaps this is all too quick of a judgment, but for now, I'm saying it sucks.

It is possible I started with the wrong character in Unlimited Saga. Perhaps that person's particular story emphasized some of the elements I did not like about the game. Then again, it is also possible that we just prefer different things in our games because...

I actually enjoyed Grandia Xtreme. Then again, form what I read in reviews and forums I am the only one. :)

The voice acting was something I can tone out, so that did not bother me as much. I also played this Grandia first, so all of the game concepts were new to me. I did play Grandia II and III after, both of which have better story and character development, and Grandia III has much better voice acting (and I would suggest if you have not tried any other Grandia games). If I had played Grandia III first and then Xtreme I may not have liked it as much, but who is to say?

While I did not think Kingdom Hearts II was quite as bad as you, I do agree that it was far below the first game. 

Molotov

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • SDA Chrono Cross page.
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:35 pm »
It is possible I started with the wrong character in Unlimited Saga. Perhaps that person's particular story emphasized some of the elements I did not like about the game. Then again, it is also possible that we just prefer different things in our games because...

Who did you use? I believe I had tried to play the game twice before, both ending in failure. One of those times, I picked Armic. I really hope you didn't make that mistake, because his voice actor is AWFUL (on top of a seemingly boring story). I think the other time was with Judy, which was also a mistake.

Worth noting that you get Iskandar in Ruby's story (not sure about the others). He's quite good too, because he starts with a level 4 Weapon Mastery skill or some such. Of course, if you wanted to go the cheap route, I think learning Raksha would make the game pitifully easy for the most part (in theory anyway). The attack has an additional instant death effect that I've read even works on some bosses. Combine this with the fact that it is a light punch, and you could probably spark it really early in the game.

I better shut up though, or else I will start to like the game more as I talk about it. :P

I actually enjoyed Grandia Xtreme. Then again, form what I read in reviews and forums I am the only one. :)

The voice acting was something I can tone out, so that did not bother me as much. I also played this Grandia first, so all of the game concepts were new to me. I did play Grandia II and III after, both of which have better story and character development, and Grandia III has much better voice acting (and I would suggest if you have not tried any other Grandia games). If I had played Grandia III first and then Xtreme I may not have liked it as much, but who is to say?

Well, Grandia Xtreme is the only one I've ever played in the series. My brother is a fan of the series, so I've seen 1, 2, and Xtreme in-battle and so forth. Like I said though, I didn't give Xtreme much of a chance. Perhaps I'll give it another shot in the future, but who knows when that will be?

On a similar note, this reminds me that I have a save in Wild ARMs 3. Made it a decent way into the game, then couldn't figure out where to go and gave up. I don't think I'm missing much, because outside of the Wild West novelty (and sound), the game wasn't very good. Come to think of it, Jet Enduro was like a little Cloud knock-off. Ew, gross-ness.

Zaulche

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 06:01:51 pm »
I do not remember the name of the person whose perspective I chose. I believe it was the kid that was some type of mail carrier (or something to that effect). I remember going through a small castle like area and that was fine. Then after I got my second character in my party there was a canyon area with some type of bridge (may have just been a log, cannot remember well) where my characters were split up and I forced into a fight with two skeletons (I believe they were skeletons). I believe I had to fight with the non-attack based character in the party, or my character was already hurt, but whatever the case they did more damage to me than I could do to them, and I did not have enough items at that point in the game, so it was actually impossible for me to go any further since you cannot run from fights. After trying that a few times I got very frustrated and never played it again. I do not think I was very far into the game. Only a couple of hours at the most.

Hmstr1hom

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 07:34:41 pm »
The Zelda games fror CD-I. *Shudders*

(Although if you're in the mood for comedy and don't wanna go to the movies, this is a hilarious alternative.)

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:47 pm »
The Zelda games fror CD-I. *Shudders*

(Although if you're in the mood for comedy and don't wanna go to the movies, this is a hilarious alternative.)

Agreed.

Or Hotel Mario from the same system. In fact, any CD-i game.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:31 pm »
Did anyone else notice in Kingdom Hearts II that every 30 seconds we were hearing something similar to:

"I'm Sora.  This is Donald, Goofy."
"Oh, Sora, Donald, Goofy."
"Sora, Donald, Goofy..."
"Thank you... Sora, Donald, Goofy."
"It's up to you, Sora, Donald, Goofy."

I mean, I understand that they made a lot of new friends, but I just hated hearing their names ever 10 minutes.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2008, 10:02:26 pm »
I smiled when Goofy "Died". That might have been the darkest moment I'd ever seen that contained Disney Characters, but I couldn't help it. He was such a nuisance in the first game, in which I was required to go into 1st person view many times due to there being a lot of puzzle elements, and Goofy's retarded face would always be in my way. And during various platforming sequences, after several tries and finially succeeding in reaching a hard to reach ledge, Goofy would always land right next to me and push me off. Bastard.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 12:40:12 am »

2. Final Fantasy 4... It was like having root canals done on all of my teeth without numbing and I don't even know how a root canal feels... never had one.

Either way. I find it hard to believe I pushed through that piece of shit.

Do you mean the one with Cecil Harvey? Aye, that was my least favorite one, but it wasn't bad. I just found it incredibly difficult (I still haven't killed Zeromus).

Yes I mean that. one.

Sorry for the late reply, but I am trying to not have my life revolve around this forum like i did with my last one lol.

Ok I found it incredibly easy (yes the hardtype to) for some odd reason.

The story seemed like FF games, but just so... alien it wasn't funny. I don't know what about it gave me the feeling, but playing it for the first time directly after beating 6 may have had something to do with it.

Now usually when it comes to graphics I am not a fanboy or anything. I found them absolutely dreadful. The mountain looked like a pile of gray shaving cream... good analogy huh.

I just don't know what it was, but it never did it for me. I had the goal and I have beat every final fantasy to date... Except the online one... That may be close to ff4.

I also have another worst game.... actually worse than FF4.

It really depends on what console.

Spiderman 3 for the playstation 2.

Ok the graphics were worse than 2. There was no exploration. It looked like they scrapped the idea and just added enough coding to end it quickly. Ok if a game takes less time to beat than it took to watch the movie... Then there is something horribly fucking wrong. The movie took 2 hours and 20 minutes. The game took me 2 hours and 12 minutes to beat. I left spidey standing in a hallway for about 15 minutes while I ate dinner to. So as you can see, that's awful.

Never buy this game for the playstation. The controls are unresponsive, the graphics bad, the gameplay worse, and overall it was a disappointment and a huge waste of 40 dollars.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2008, 01:25:48 am »

2. Final Fantasy 4... It was like having root canals done on all of my teeth without numbing and I don't even know how a root canal feels... never had one.

Either way. I find it hard to believe I pushed through that piece of shit.

Do you mean the one with Cecil Harvey? Aye, that was my least favorite one, but it wasn't bad. I just found it incredibly difficult (I still haven't killed Zeromus).

Yes I mean that. one.

Sorry for the late reply, but I am trying to not have my life revolve around this forum like i did with my last one lol.

Ok I found it incredibly easy (yes the hardtype to) for some odd reason.

The story seemed like FF games, but just so... alien it wasn't funny. I don't know what about it gave me the feeling, but playing it for the first time directly after beating 6 may have had something to do with it.

Now usually when it comes to graphics I am not a fanboy or anything. I found them absolutely dreadful. The mountain looked like a pile of gray shaving cream... good analogy huh.

I just don't know what it was, but it never did it for me. I had the goal and I have beat every final fantasy to date... Except the online one... That may be close to ff4.

I also have another worst game.... actually worse than FF4.

It really depends on what console.

Spiderman 3 for the playstation 2.

Ok the graphics were worse than 2. There was no exploration. It looked like they scrapped the idea and just added enough coding to end it quickly. Ok if a game takes less time to beat than it took to watch the movie... Then there is something horribly fucking wrong. The movie took 2 hours and 20 minutes. The game took me 2 hours and 12 minutes to beat. I left spidey standing in a hallway for about 15 minutes while I ate dinner to. So as you can see, that's awful.

Never buy this game for the playstation. The controls are unresponsive, the graphics bad, the gameplay worse, and overall it was a disappointment and a huge waste of 40 dollars.

Crap , Why they don't make good games for PS2 anymore?. I guess that spiderman was the psp port! Sony is making PSP games to ps2...