Author Topic: Chrono Piano Concerto  (Read 913 times)

CCpresentsAndrew

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Chrono Piano Concerto
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:21:24 pm »
[UPDATE: 7/28] sorry I've been away so long, been studying/practicing for my piano exam coming up, but I did just whip up the first 2 1/2 minutes of the 1st movement for your ears - and I figured out how to save it as a midi so you don't need to download notepad to listen or rely on FaustWolf to provide a recording anymore... although I still recommend you listen to it in Notepad for the highest quality (midis don't do this project much justice) anyways, enjoy! (The attachment has the first and second movements [very unfinished!] in Notepad form and midi form - take your preference)

I just realized that if you're not logged in you can't download the attachment (I'm a dolt) - so here's a link to MegaUpload so you don't have to log in/sign up to get the attachment: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7RUILDG1

[OLD: 6/23]
Hey all, for the past 2 days I've been working on a piano concerto based on Yasunori Mitsuda's melodies from Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I've got a good 5 or 6 minutes done for the 2nd movement and I would like to get some constructive criticism and general feedback before I continue with the piece. I've attached the file to this post, the only thing you will need to download first is Finale Notepad http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/ so you can listen and read along with the music. Eventually I will put up low-quality .wavs of the concerto, but it is recommended that you download Notepad. Also, along with criticism, I'd love for other musicians on the board to help out. Once you download Notepad, you can actually add on and change the notes to what you think is better! Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:16:47 am by CCpresentsAndrew »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Piano Concerto
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:37:39 am »
I know little about the music creation process, but I know when I like what I hear, and I like what I hear -- very high-quality piano work. Mind if I make a recording in .MP3 format so that this is more accessible to everyone? The piano software is a bit complex to set up.

CCpresentsAndrew

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:10 am »
Thanks for the compliment! Really, it means a lot. I would love if you made an .mp3 recording! I figured the program would be a little difficult, I was going to put up a quick tutorial for basic viewing and for members who want to contribute later. But an .mp3 recording for those who just want to listen is a great idea!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:23:33 am »
Quick! Use the Chrono Concerto!
The MP3 file is a little over 6MB in size.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p2objh

It's really an experience seeing the music sheet as the music plays in Finale Notepad. Only thing I could suggest at this point would be replacing the flute(?) effect used in the Guardia Forest theme with a violin, but then again I know little about music creation.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:10:37 pm »
I just downloaded it.

It sounds really good... I'm using a MAC version of iTunes and mine seems to crackle...  I doubt that's everyone's version.  The arrangement is great.  The piano truly shines.  Would it be possibly to replace some of the synthy-sounding orchestration with more organic (real) sounding orchestration in some parts?

The piano is truly fabulous.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:26:38 pm »
Amazing. The sound is so smooth, it flows like a stream without interruption. The piano is excellent as well.

However, as Boo said, you should think about replacing the synthesizer insturments.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 12:38:28 pm »
If there's any crackle, that's due to my recording software no doubt. Audacity produces sound that's just slightly below perfect-quality for me. Might be my soundcard too.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:06 pm »
If there's any crackle, that's due to my recording software no doubt. Audacity produces sound that's just slightly below perfect-quality for me. Might be my soundcard too.

I have it on my mp3 player, and I'm getting the crackle there, too.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 01:20:55 pm »
It seems to be mixed heavily in the left ear, too.

CCpresentsAndrew

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:48:43 am »
First off thank you again FaustWolf for the recording of the second movement and thanks everyone for the comments. Just wanted to say sorry for the lapse in time between arranging, been working on my pieces for a piano jury -- but I worked on the 1st movement today and got 2 1/2 minutes into it and want to know what you think. Go the the 1st post to download the .zip file. It has the first and second movements [very unfinished!] in Finale Notepad form and also a midi version (the midi version sounds... well it kind of falls short, that's why I'm still including the Notepad version because it sounds a lot better). Anyways, I hope you enjoy! (I had a newfound inspiration when I heard of Chrono Trigger being re-released on DS!)

Note: As for the main fault of low-quality instrumentation, I may invest in a higher quality program once I've actually finished all 3 movements. I just want to sort everything out in Notepad and get all constructive criticism on the arrangement before I go ahead and give it a real orchestration.