Author Topic: I'm glad Aeris is dead.  (Read 2133 times)

Hmstr1hom

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
I'm glad Aeris is dead.
« on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:22 pm »
Excuse me while I rant for a bit. I'm sure that most everybody who has played FF7 is enraged by the title of this thread. Aeris' death is clearly one of the most tearjerking moments in a game for a lot of gamers. But I didn't give a crap about Aeris dying. For all I care, she was the weakest character who kept on getting in trouble n doing crazy stuff. Jesus! Could someone please tell me why it is such a big deal. Yeah, I realised that she saved the world and blah blah blibbidy boo but that isn't what i'm talking about right now-I just don't see the big deal about her death.

Attached is a Krawlie to protect me from threatening posts. I hope that works.....

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm glad Aeris is dead.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:55:07 pm »
Excuse me while I rant for a bit. I'm sure that most everybody who has played FF7 is enraged by the title of this thread. Aeris' death is clearly one of the most tearjerking moments in a game for a lot of gamers. But I didn't give a crap about Aeris dying. For all I care, she was the weakest character who kept on getting in trouble n doing crazy stuff. Jesus! Could someone please tell me why it is such a big deal. Yeah, I realised that she saved the world and blah blah blibbidy boo but that isn't what i'm talking about right now-I just don't see the big deal about her death.

Attached is a Krawlie to protect me from threatening posts. I hope that works.....

But she was so kind and caring. Also, if she was allowed to go on into disc 2 and beyond, imagine what you could do with her; She's amazing with magic and summons, and her Limit Break heals you compeletly and makes you invincible for like, 3 turns. She might've been my favorite character in the entire game.

Hmstr1hom

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »
While I see your point about her skills in battle, (I'll have to use her next time i play through FF7), I just didn't see.....well, nevermind. one article says a thousand words. (literally.)

http://www.ff7citadel.com/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=31

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:17 pm »
Aeries' limit breaks were awesome.  She definitely would have been useful later.  Plus I always try to keep one healer in the party for balance even if it isn't the best party (I even kept marle in my party and in my opinion she is the most useless character in the game especially after haste helms).

--JP

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:27:46 pm »
Okay, yeah, I was sad when Aeris died, too, I will admit.  And although that article had some merit (Aeris really was a little too much by getting Cloud to be her bodyguard in exchange for a date) - but I don't completely agree with it. 

I mean, Tifa only wanted Cloud once he was in her life again (and I felt that was sort of because Cloud was the only thing remaining from her life thus far - her "constant").

Then again, now that we've seen Crisis Core, Aeris was pretty much reliving her experience with Zack.

But then again, in an official short story of Aeris thinking about her life (post-death in the Lifestream), Aeris explains that she really TRULY felt feelings for Cloud.  It wasn't just because he reminded her of Zack - it was totally different.

Cloud should ditch them both (well, he already ditched Aeris) and go with Elena or something.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »
Actually, I might have a fanfiction you guys might enjoy. My Disjointed Life by Pendrum on FanFiction.net

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2724230/1/My_Disjointed_Life

It has very little to do with the actual game, it only uses the chracters in the real world. It centers around Cloud going through his freshman year of college, and meeting other FF7 characters along the way.

I know it doesn't sound like the best set up, but it's amazingly written and laugh out loud hilarious. It's a little graphic, but it'll have you falling out of your chair. At the same time, albeit later in the story, it also gives a truly touching tale that a lot of people can relate to.

It's also finished, so have at it. Also, I have the entire thing in saved in seperate chapters into one folder, if anyone wants it.

Enjoy.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:37:13 pm »
Aeris was Square's attempt to cross a line that it had, in the past, deliberately avoided. It was a gutsy move, back then, killing off a main playable character who also happened to be the female lead. People took it more seriously than they would today. (Remember, she was murdered; she didn't simply fall down a flight of stairs and break her neck.)

Aeris' death helped clear the way for greater freedom in RPG plotlines across the industry. Was she a good character in terms of plot and gameplay? That's open to debate; your rant is certainly your prerogative. The worst characters inspire strong opinions. Then again, so do the best.

Hmstr1hom

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »
Aeries' limit breaks were awesome.  She definitely would have been useful later.  Plus I always try to keep one healer in the party for balance even if it isn't the best party (I even kept marle in my party and in my opinion she is the most useless character in the game especially after haste helms).

--JP

I can agree with that. Her limit breaks would be usefull during safer.
Also, Marle is my second favorite character in CT. Haste and the curing (and somewhat good atk) definetely make her un-useless.

In response to Boo's post, I guess you're right. That's what i was looking for-actual things about Aeris that are worth crying about when she died. Also, Cloud + Elena = one hot item

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:42:31 pm »
Cloud + Elena = one hot item

True that.  They're both moody bastards.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:05:58 am »
Jeez, all this talk of Aeris being dead gave me the wrong idea.
AerisDies if you don't get it.
I love Aeris, every time I play, I make sure to use her every time I can in Disc 1.

I was like seven or eight I think when the game came out. I will admit, I cried when she died.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:30:04 am »
While I see your point about her skills in battle, (I'll have to use her next time i play through FF7), I just didn't see.....well, nevermind. one article says a thousand words. (literally.)

http://www.ff7citadel.com/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=31

That little story makes me laugh on the Citadel.

Ok aeris... Tifa and Cloud were never there if you think about it. Cloud was so fucked up in the head that we have even heard Tifa say it: She wanted to keep him close. She knew something was wrong and she wanted to get things right. That's why she got him the Avalanche job.

Aeris immediatley saw: Zack.

Ok so why Aeris was cool?

Key feature in Advent Children, key feature in Crisis Core, and not a single appearance in DoC. It just shows that the people who cared about her remember her and a lot of the gaming community cares about her in a hopefully not wink wink way.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 12:41:10 am »
It also aided Sephiroth's characterization, although...

WHY DID SEPHIROTH GET ZERO LINES AT THE END OF THE GAME!?

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:06:06 am »

What do you mean? He spoke before the Bizarro-Sephiroth fight, My guess is after mutating into two different giant monsters it's a little hard to speak English.

And as for the "Final" battle... I dunno, maybe it's some kind of mute arena in the middle of nothingness.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 01:31:11 pm »
What do you mean? He spoke before the Bizarro-Sephiroth fight, My guess is after mutating into two different giant monsters it's a little hard to speak English.

And as for the "Final" battle... I dunno, maybe it's some kind of mute arena in the middle of nothingness.

Actually, he doesn't speak a word in Disc 3. All he does is display his power to you, then you begin the final battles.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:24 am »

It's a mental battle for cloud so sephiroth doesn't have the ability to speak.

I loved Cait Sith's line, "...he's way outta our league..."