Author Topic: Chrono Trigger- Your first impression BONUS WORLD REVOLUTION REMIX  (Read 991 times)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
When I first heard of CT being great and better than most final fantasy games I had to check it out.

So as usual I was skeptical having played final fantasy 3/6 and such.

So I popped it in and at first, it seemed like a childish game. I turned it off quickly because it didn't seem like your normal dark pathetic world you get with some RPG's.

It was to nice. So I am sad to say, my first impression was wtf is with this gay little game? I never played it again...

Then later in life final fantasy Anthology made me go WOW, so I had to getr chronicles. I always wanted to try the FF4 Hardtype and I hoped it wouldn't disapoint me like the original US FF4/2 did.

I was shocked to see that it was almost the exact same game and the exact same playthrough. Not much was done and it didn't seem like a hardtype...

So I saw Chrono Trigger with it and I thought "What the fuck is this bullshit?!!!" So since I thought I had wasted my money I decided to give it a 2nd chance.

As I went through and finally got a grasp on the thing, I liked the battle system and techs. It was a definetley well built fighting game which had a great contrast to the Final Fantasy swirl or zoom in or wipe off to battle. I finally got to 2400 AD and thought "WOW!!! About time for the depressed scene." All the previous times seemed to happy and such. I mean sure 600 AD had it's war, but society seemed to thrive well and it was just a war. Guardia wasn't controlling the people or anything.

I saw the video of Lavos... Day of Lavos 1999 AD. I was shocked. I was appalled. I thought, this game is going to be sweet.

I played through and loved the replay value. All was well and it seemed that everything was swell except for the fall of guardia and whatnot. CC didn't do what Trigger did for me and yes I had the same process with it, yet it still did absolutely nothing for me.

So, that's my first impression to CT what's yours?

Also bonus. This is the best remix to World Revolution I have ever heard in my entire life and yes better than the original.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/128420

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger- Your first impression BONUS WORLD REVOLUTION REMIX
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:09:34 pm »
I got my first taste of Chrono Trigger while looking at a Nintendo Power magazine at the local Wal-Mart in late spring/early summer of 1995. Nintendo Power did a really great presentation, hinting at Magus and showing a screenshot of Crono going up against a shadowy Lavos, and I was hooked.

Yeah, the 2300AD segment gets everyone I think. I stayed up until 4:00AM to play through that when I finally got my grubby hands on the game. I've only ever done that for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears to date.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 02:13:25 pm »
I was a toddler when I first saw Chrono Trigger, and for quite a while I thought it was something related to Dragon Ball.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:47:48 pm »
I got my first taste of Chrono Trigger while looking at a Nintendo Power magazine at the local Wal-Mart in late spring/early summer of 1995. Nintendo Power did a really great presentation, hinting at Magus and showing a screenshot of Crono going up against a shadowy Lavos, and I was hooked.

Yeah, the 2300AD segment gets everyone I think. I stayed up until 4:00AM to play through that when I finally got my grubby hands on the game. I've only ever done that for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears to date.

This is the same thing I did. All I wanted for my birthday was this game after that.

It actually showed an enemy getting defeated, and my mom thought that the red stuff was blood. She thought it would be too violent, so I had to convince her otherwise. When I got it, I was just in awe. From the moment I started playing to the moment I stopped.

The one thing I loved about this game so much was that you could go through the entire game without having to stop and level up anywhere. If you did every fight through the game, and didn't run away from any, then the only fight you would have trouble with is the Dragon Tank.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:55:31 pm »
The first time I heard of it was from my friend David.  David had an older cousin who had bought Chrono Trigger and was tearing it up, and David was telling me how awesome it was.  David had seen up until the End of Time, and so explained in great detail the events that had transpired thus far - particularly the events of 2300 AD.

In my head, I imagined "ruined domes" with "psycho robots" and "Robo the steam-robot" as a sidescroller with Mega Man graphics.

I had never played an RPG before.  And then I rented it.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:37 am »
I was a toddler when I first saw Chrono Trigger, and for quite a while I thought it was something related to Dragon Ball.

Yep the original storyteller... well he was... ok they are related let's just say that.

Don't forget to check the world revolution remix!

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:36:48 am »
Speaking of DB, I remember when I saw Pokemon, then I came across DBZ, the Namekkian saga where Vegeta faces off against the fat pink guy from the Ginyu force. I thought "He looks like Ash with a big head."

Seriously, I don't know what I was on. He looks far too different.

Jai

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:21:47 am »
First time I played the game, I might had been like 7 or 8 years old, my big bother brought a CD with lots of roms and while I was looking for a good game I reached CT. The first thing I thought  "Hey! That's a strange name! I wanna play it!" It was like love at first sight... I don't know what I did like about it, since by that time I didn't understand a word in English...  Maybe I just loved the characters(by that time I had not seen DB so it's not because of that) I remember that the first time I played it i thought "I can't understand Crono's hair  :? ".

Anyway when I was in seventh grade I started playing the game again and it was the same as before, but know I was able to understand everything... and love it way more than before
And now when I think of it... I played a game that has literally changed my life(and I say it seriously) just because of what I thought it was a weird name...

By the way, that World Revolution Remix was awesome!!!

OverlordMikey

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • There are no maps.You can't map a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:11 am »
My first gaming system was NES (we had another system to...um I forgot what it was called) and of course we had games like Final Fantasy, Ultima, Super Mario, Zelda, ext, that being said my eldest brother was quite fond of RPGs and I grew up watching him play them (and playing them). So it wasn't at all a leap for me to play Chrono Trigger, from the very first moment I did I loved it! I adored Lavos, he was truely a villain to adore...yes Lavos and Kefka went one in history as my fav villains. I always loved RPGs so I simpley can't imagine disliking Chrono Trigger, I loved it from start to finish.

First time I played the game, I might had been like 7 or 8 years old, my big bother brought a CD with lots of roms and while I was looking for a good game I reached CT. The first thing I thought  "Hey! That's a strange name! I wanna play it!" It was like love at first sight... I don't know what I did like about it, since by that time I didn't understand a word in English...  Maybe I just loved the characters(by that time I had not seen DB so it's not because of that) I remember that the first time I played it i thought "I can't understand Crono's hair  :? ".

Anyway when I was in seventh grade I started playing the game again and it was the same as before, but know I was able to understand everything... and love it way more than before
And now when I think of it... I played a game that has literally changed my life(and I say it seriously) just because of what I thought it was a weird name...

By the way, that World Revolution Remix was awesome!!!

I put what Chrono Trigger met together almost as soon as I knew what the game was about.
Oh but the spikey hair never seemed odd to me since I played alot of game with spikey haired characters (although I wished I could have spikey hair to, never happend hehehehehe, messy hair is the closest I got)
Illusion of Gaia, Robotrek, Chrono Trigger, um there were more I'm sure of it.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 06:45:58 am »
The first time I SAW it my brother was battling Zeal(hands and face) on the Black Omen and I thought it looked very interesting and loved the choice of music.
The first time I played it, it was on my brother's profile and I was playing through the sidequests. I loved it.
So I tried my own file, and was in total awe at the game. Loved every bit of it.

So all in all, I've always felt the same about Chrono Trigger, from day 1 til the day I die, best game ever and a controlling factor to my life. Words cannot describe how much I love this game.

4th Triforce piece

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 06:50:35 am »
I played it on an emulator first  (I only emulate old games that arent't being marketed and supported by Nintendo) so then I decided to get it for the real thing and am glad I did.   I got into the SNES scene late just a few years ago and the SNES is the BEST TIME for Nintendo.       Why?    Cause of all the third and second party support.   If it was Nintendo alone it wouldn't have been as epic and more of a 'kiddy' system.   Including the N64.   

The only good game would have been ALTTP.    I don't like platform games very well.     

Nintendo also didn't really much out of the Mario franchise then they ruined Mario after M2 but that's another story.   We don't wanna talk about Mario here even though he had his own fun RPG. 8)