Author Topic: Weekly Famitsu CT DS Coverage - Mitsuda, Battles, E3  (Read 3983 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Weekly Famitsu CT DS Coverage - Mitsuda, Battles, E3
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:33:53 pm »
Thanks to Shinrin, there are four new pages of Weekly Famitsu coverage available on the Chrono Trigger DS page. The screenshots suggest that the battle menus have been moved to the bottom screen, while new HP/MP bars appear under individual characters. Mitsuda, his comments translated here, reflects a little on his interview and talks about the news, noting that he'll try to keep the music similar to the SNES sound. Also, RPGamer is reporting that CT DS will be at E3 here. For Mitsuda's comments... [hidden]

"When I first heard about this, my first response was 'Finally!'," he says. "That's partly because it was my debut work, but it's still a very deep, very high-quality game even when you play it today. I'm very interested in seeing what kids today think about it when they play it, so from that perspective, it was a very happy piece of news."

"I couldn't even count all the memories it brings up. I was in a slump because I couldn't compose anything, I was going to the hospital regularly for stomach ulcers while I worked, I had a hard-drive crash and lost nearly 40 in-progress tracks...great, I guess I'm only remembering the negative things! But when the entire staff gathered around to watch the ending, I wound up crying anyway (a lot of other staffers were just as deeply moved). I think all of us put a lot of our emotion into the game."

"I think a lot of [Famitsu] readers were hoping for a Chrono Trigger port, and now we're finally making that wish come true. I had the music for the Nintendo DS version stay as close as possible to the SNES original, so I think you'll like how it turns out. Whether you're playing for the first time or reflecting on the past as you go, I hope all of you enjoy it."[/hidden]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:45:04 pm by ZeaLitY »

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
Re: Four New CT DS Scans Debut with Mitsuda Interview
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:51:42 pm »
There is one thing new in those screen shots, if you check the one that talks about ATB Ver. 2 you noticed in some screen shots that shows HP and MP bars. ;)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »
Yeah, I just noticed that! I think Ramsus suggested earlier that the actual numbers for HP, MP, etc., might have been shooped into the second DS screen? Looks like that's precisely what they may be doing.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:54:59 pm »
No intention to ruin the party but...I groaned when I saw the scans... Seeing footage of the game I already play just... it's boring...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:57:10 pm »
Chrono Trigger could never be boring!  And you can play it on the go!  I'm sure it's going to be retranslated, so you have at least another retranslation to whet your appetite for the Chronoverse!

Yourgingerestfan

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • im ginger ....your ginger ....were all ginger !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:01:24 pm »
are they adding new scenes ?

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:03:01 pm »
That's really the only reason I'm getting it... To play on the go. Nothing else besides this "new dungeon" excites me. Although, if they have the cinematics, I suppose that'd make it fun. After all, FF3 had them. I was pretty impressed.

Seriously though, hearing that they want to keep it in it's SNES style... What's so appealing about that? They had what-- 3-4 years since NDS's release to make a remake? If it were 3D like FF3/4DS that'd be something to squeal about.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:08:59 pm »
I have to agree.  Chrono Trigger didn't get boring for a bit..but after playing it like 15 times..I'm pretty much bored with it.  I will get the DS version though, but probably way later.

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
Echoes fade, memories die... but the Chrono legacy shall live on.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:58 pm »
Remake or port, Chrono Trigger DS is HUGE news no matter how you look at it. Boring? I THINK NOT. I love playing this game time and time again.

Many are excited to see what kind of impact this will have on all fans, old and new alike.

are they adding new scenes ?
Who knows? Our guess is as good as yours.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:12:53 pm by Darkshadw »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:40 pm »
I think they're just testing the waters.

You see, a Final Fantasy sells only because it has the branding of 'Final Fantasy'.  The games aren't connected, and the title is the only unification quality.  But people keep buying them because of the name, because the name speaks volumes and about quality.

Now Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers, and Chrono Cross are great games with a definite cult following, but as of right now, it doesn't have the name recognition branding that a Final Fantasy game would have.  They see and recognize that there is a definite market for the Chrono franchise, and I bet they are considering another Chrono game.  However, why invest millions of dollars to "revive" a series that ended 8-9 years ago? 

That's right; Chrono Cross came out 8-9 years ago.  That's a big gap for a franchise.  Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross only had 4-5 years between them, and we all thought that was an eternity.

So now Squeenix can invest less money (as compared to a whole new game) and release a port to test the marketability of the Chronoverse on the RPG community.  If it sells big, then they feel safe investing all that money to make a new Chrono game.  Make sense?

The best thing we could do would be to go ahead and buy the Chrono Trigger DS game whether we want to or not.  Square makes money off of it and is happy, thus they feel safe and make a new Chronoverse game, making us happy.  We scratch their back, they scratch ours.

ogh

• Earthbound (+15)
  • CT on DS OMG!
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Famitsu CT DS Coverage - Mitsuda, Battles, E3
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:59:30 pm »
How Crono used Lighting 2 in the beginning of the game (fourth page of the scan)? THIS IS CHEAT! XDD

Yeah, I just noticed that! I think Ramsus suggested earlier that the actual numbers for HP, MP, etc., might have been shooped into the second DS screen? Looks like that's precisely what they may be doing.
I agree, this looks to be true

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 05:12:59 pm »
How Crono used Lighting 2 in the beginning of the game (fourth page of the scan)? THIS IS CHEAT! XDD

Yeah, seeing that brought out some really nostalgic feelings for me. In the very first Nintendo Power preview of CT I ever saw, there were pics of Crono unleashing the wrong spells at the wrong time, and then Flea whipping out Hexagon Mist to boot.

Eden110

• Iokan (+1)
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 06:15:18 pm »
Just saw those scans, and I just went through a trip down memory lane.  Chrono Trigger never really got boring for me, there just wasn't anything left to do once you get through all the endings and such.  I remember how I would just fly around on the epoch and listen to "The Wings of Time" song.

Anyways, I agree: Chrono Trigger + Portability = win! So from how Mitsuda was talking, it looks like the OST is being remade for the DS?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 06:21:45 pm »
Zeality, where are those quotes from?  Are those translations from the article?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:52 pm »
They're from that 1UP link. 1UP didn't include the interviewer questions, and I also cut out their formatting.