Author Topic: So, when Chrono Trigger DS comes out... How about a good ol' dungeon hack?  (Read 2827 times)

DivineDragoonKain

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
CT DS is supposed to feature a new dungeon...

A decent project, once the game comes out, could be to make a patch for the new dungeon for the SNES rom.

Sure, it won't cover new enemies or the like (at least not right away), but it's something to think about, ne?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
I'm fairly certain that someone here's going to do that right away.  Since i'm not actually buying the game (lol no ds), I can just download the japanese NDS rom when it's thrown out there and play till I get to the end of the game, and probably beat it and go through again and search for the dungeon.  If that's the case, i'll just end up throwing screenshots and videos up if I do find it.

Ozzie

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
It will be interesting  to see if the new area has a new tileset to go along with it, or perhaps a new song, new enemies... A few things might prevent, or hinder a perfect copy of the new dungeon. Still, should be interesting.

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
but it's something to think about, ne?
Only if it doesn't suck. But considering TOSE is behind it, it probably will. :/

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
A decent project, once the game comes out, could be to make a patch for the new dungeon for the SNES rom.

I just want to point out that copying and distributing content in this manner, even after a mild conversion, is an egregious breach of copyright law.  Under the law, it wouldn't be any different than putting the entire ROM up on the site.

DivineDragoonKain

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Ooh, didn't realize that.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile

I just want to point out that copying and distributing content in this manner, even after a mild conversion, is an egregious breach of copyright law.  Under the law, it wouldn't be any different than putting the entire ROM up on the site.
True enough, but the real question is: Would it be worth it? As the dungeon could be neither the Singing Mountain level nor the Zeal Dungeons, but simply a gimmick. As for the legality issues, yeah what Geiger said─it would be pretty dumb to put something up like that for direct download... However, a workaround loophole would be to create a utility that 'transfers' data from one product to another(both of which, one would have to own)─one would want to have the user to specify the given product(s) and address ranges to transfer; essentially keeping it a non-task specific program and avoiding legal trouble.

Eternal Myst

• Level ** (100)
  • Confirmed working on PAL.
    • View Profile
but it's something to think about, ne?
Only if it doesn't suck. But considering TOSE is behind it, it probably will. :/
Fail.
It can't suck.
It's Chrono Trigger.
Read that.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=95489&st=0&gopid=1275190&#entry1275190
The game is more like Chrono Trigger:Perfect edition.

Period.

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
Fail.
It can't suck.
It's Chrono Trigger.
TOSE is porting it, so it CAN'T be perfect in any way. They usually introduce more bugs than the original games had. At least they were decent enough to contact Mitsuda for music, so at least that aspect will probably be improved. As for the rest of the game, don't count too much on it. The nostalgia effect won't make it look like a masterpiece among portings, unless you are completely blind, or pretend to be.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:46:14 pm by Gemini »