Author Topic: CTDS... a tad disappointing  (Read 2891 times)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
CTDS... a tad disappointing
« on: July 18, 2008, 01:29:10 pm »
To be honest i was hoping for an update. You know 3-d graphics and shit. Kinda like what they did with FF3. IT doesn't look like it's going to happen and it looks to be just a makeovered port.

Does this disappoint anyone besides myself?

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: CTDS... a tad disappointing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:33:46 pm »
I good.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:32:21 pm »
I don't particularly care about 3-d graphics but in general, yea it is disappointing.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:16:24 pm »
I don't mind.  If it's Chrono Trigger I won't complain.

Mixmasta_K

• Porrean (+50)
  • T H I N K
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 07:03:28 am »
I don't really think CT would look that great in 3D, especially with a DS engine. It would lose its nostalgic appeal with me.

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:36:39 am »
I think it will work well in 3-D (Have you seen Ressurection?!), just not for the DS.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:34:49 pm »
I don't mind.  If it's Chrono Trigger I won't complain.

Oh believe me I don't care, but it is kind of disappointing that they would just... port it to the DS.

Ekul

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:46:33 pm »
I gave this a lot of thought myself, but you know what? The 2D is part of the charm for me. So far, I haven't liked any 3D apparition of the Chrono Trigger characters more than the sprites/cutscene versions.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »
if it were in 3D they would probably eliminate the whole 'battles taking place where you stand' concept

cald

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 12:41:37 am »
if it were in 3D they would probably eliminate the whole 'battles taking place where you stand' concept

Why?  I could see the camera swooping around to a different angle maybe, but I don't see any reason why the basic mechanic would have to change.

I would have liked to see a FFIII/FFIV style 3d remake of the game for the DS, but I'm totally satisfied with the way they're going with the port.  To see Square Enix paying any attention to Chrono Trigger again is awesome.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »
We know Toriyama's style works with 3D & with the DS with DQIX coming out. Enhanced remakes of DQIV-VI are also on the way here pretty quick, and show that even in a limited capacity, enhancing Toriyama's style is all good...& like stated, FFIII & FFIV did ATB style battles perfectly well in nice looking 3D.

Though I'm totally against people who say "I like 2D because it has it's charm to it"...You're living in a nostalgic fog. Worse graphics don't make for better games. It's like saying, "I like to watch old movies because of the grainy quality of the film & the lack of color really adds to everything"...While, an argument for color is plausible, unless you're going for soft-focus for a purpose, I'd rather actually be able to SEE what I'm LOOKING at. Just because there were a lot of good games that looked like shit (when everything looked more or less like shit) that doesn't mean good games now have to look like shit anymore just because it's easy.

I'm no graphics whore, mind you, but graphics are there to enhance gameplay. They aren't the sole reason to judge a game, that'd be like judging a game completely on it's music (if you like it so much, just get the album/MP3s).

BUT I don't mind CT DS being in 2D because I know (or "choose to believe" for you who want a Force Choke) that it's just testing the waters of the bountiful Chrono pool. We are Chrono Community. They will hear us roar. Like a mighty wave upon their shores. TO ARMS!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:07:15 pm by V_Translanka »

Ekul

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:39:57 pm »
Though I'm totally against people who say "I like 2D because it has it's charm to it"...You're living in a nostalgic fog.
That's not really what I meant. I'm just saying that all current 3D models I've seen are inferior to the official artwork IMO. If they wanted to upgrade it from 16 bit, I'd be all for it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:46:47 pm »
To compare 2D and 3D is speaking of totally different aspects.  COMPLETELY different.  Likewise, 2D graphics versus 3D graphics are completely different mediums, with various components.  It's like apples and oranges - they have different gameplay (for instance, 2D versus 3D environs).  It's not about nostalgia - they're are big differences in comparing the whole multifaceted (dimensional) aspects of games.  Graphics and gameplay simply follow suit.

cald

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 07:26:38 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
We know Toriyama's style works with 3D & with the DS with DQIX coming out. Enhanced remakes of DQIV-VI are also on the way here pretty quick, and show that even in a limited capacity, enhancing Toriyama's style is all good...& like stated, FFIII & FFIV did ATB style battles perfectly well in nice looking 3D.

Though I'm totally against people who say "I like 2D because it has it's charm to it"...You're living in a nostalgic fog. Worse graphics don't make for better games. It's like saying, "I like to watch old movies because of the grainy quality of the film & the lack of color really adds to everything"...While, an argument for color is plausible, unless you're going for soft-focus for a purpose, I'd rather actually be able to SEE what I'm LOOKING at. Just because there were a lot of good games that looked like shit (when everything looked more or less like shit) that doesn't mean good games now have to look like shit anymore just because it's easy.

I'm no graphics whore, mind you, but graphics are there to enhance gameplay. They aren't the sole reason to judge a game, that'd be like judging a game completely on it's music (if you like it so much, just get the album/MP3s).

BUT I don't mind CT DS being in 2D because I know (or "choose to believe" for you who want a Force Choke) that it's just testing the waters of the bountiful Chrono pool. We are Chrono Community. They will hear us roar. Like a mighty wave upon their shores. TO ARMS!!!

If you are not a fan of 2D graphics that's fine, but to flat out say that 3D is superior to 2D is just nonsense.

Whoops, I accidentally posted in your post for some reason, my bad (I think I hit Edit instead of Quote)! I fixed everything back how it was!
                                                                                                                               ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:00:18 pm by V_Translanka »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 07:34:38 pm »

...have you seen Blue Dragon? Made by the same people...and battles take place where you stand.