Author Topic: CTDS... a tad disappointing  (Read 2889 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: CTDS... a tad disappointing
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 07:59:31 pm »
Quote from: Ekul
That's not really what I meant. I'm just saying that all current 3D models I've seen are inferior to the official artwork IMO. If they wanted to upgrade it from 16 bit, I'd be all for it.

Yeah, my comment wasn't really about you specifically, but your comment just reminded me of people that say that sort of thing as if 3D couldn't possibly make something 2D better and that 'nostalgia' is some great factor that makes things good.

Quote from: cald
We know Toriyama's style works with 3D & with the DS with DQIX coming out. Enhanced remakes of DQIV-VI are also on the way here pretty quick, and show that even in a limited capacity, enhancing Toriyama's style is all good...& like stated, FFIII & FFIV did ATB style battles perfectly well in nice looking 3D.

Though I'm totally against people who say "I like 2D because it has it's charm to it"...You're living in a nostalgic fog. Worse graphics don't make for better games. It's like saying, "I like to watch old movies because of the grainy quality of the film & the lack of color really adds to everything"...While, an argument for color is plausible, unless you're going for soft-focus for a purpose, I'd rather actually be able to SEE what I'm LOOKING at. Just because there were a lot of good games that looked like shit (when everything looked more or less like shit) that doesn't mean good games now have to look like shit anymore just because it's easy.

I'm no graphics whore, mind you, but graphics are there to enhance gameplay. They aren't the sole reason to judge a game, that'd be like judging a game completely on it's music (if you like it so much, just get the album/MP3s).

BUT I don't mind CT DS being in 2D because I know (or "choose to believe" for you who want a Force Choke) that it's just testing the waters of the bountiful Chrono pool. We are Chrono Community. They will hear us roar. Like a mighty wave upon their shores. TO ARMS!!!

If you are not a fan of 2D graphics that's fine, but to flat out say that 3D is superior to 2D is just nonsense.

You quote the whole thing as if it is a statement of some proclamation of mine saying that 3D>2D. It simply is not. I point out that Toryima's style works great in 3D (cell shading counts)...then I mentioned that FFIII & FFIV both had ATB systems and worked fine (& look great, although admittedly a different visual style than the Chronoverse, of course) (EDIT: Katie Skyye also pointed out that Blue Dragon, which also uses Toriyama's style, was also a ATB-based RPG, though that was on XBOX 360). Then basically I say (or in other terms at least mean to say) that if the graphics can be as true as what the original developers idea for how this world would look, it should be as realistic that way possible, regardless of if it's based on 2D drawings (since 2D drawings can be made into 3D models fine). THEN I even SAY I'm not a graphics whore, just that graphics are a part of the whole package of a game and are there for the purpose of enhancing gameplay.

THEN (x2, mind you), I even go out & say that I don't MIND the 2D CT DS...so I'm puzzled as to what your point is, exactly, cald.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:03:12 pm by V_Translanka »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:29 pm »
if it were in 3D they would probably eliminate the whole 'battles taking place where you stand' concept

...have you seen Blue Dragon? Made by the same people...and battles take place where you stand.

Have you played it? No they don't.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 09:12:37 pm »
Um....If they did 3d graphics for CT, wouldn't they look like psychotic cabbage patch dolls with blown up heads.

cald

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 10:00:43 pm »
Though I'm totally against people who say "I like 2D because it has it's charm to it"...You're living in a nostalgic fog. Worse graphics don't make for better games. It's like saying, "I like to watch old movies because of the grainy quality of the film & the lack of color really adds to everything"

I quoted the whole thing just to indicate what post I was responding to, but this is the specific piece I was talking about.  With these sentences you have implied that 3D graphics are inherently "better" than 2D graphics, which is nonsense.  I don't disagree that Chrono Trigger in 3D on the DS could have been awesome,  I just take issue with the idea that it would have been automatically.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 02:59:42 pm »
if it were in 3D they would probably eliminate the whole 'battles taking place where you stand' concept

...have you seen Blue Dragon? Made by the same people...and battles take place where you stand.

Have you played it? No they don't.

...I own it. Maybe I just misunderstood what you meant...'cause I tend to do that.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 03:10:20 pm »
I actually like that they're keeping the old graphics. I'm more disappointed to hear that they're putting the animated cut scenes in. They looked nice on their own, but they seemed very out of place as part of the game. Part of what made CT so awesome was the smooth flow of action and story. I hope they're not included in the "original" version they're supposed to have.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 03:36:09 pm »
*walks in*

*looks left

*looks right

Afternoon, Gentlemen...

If you are dissapointed with DS Chrono Trigger, keep in mind that the game is a work of art itself, and any stray tampering may ruin it. It is Squarenix's intention to show the game as close to its original form as possible while keeping older fans fed.  But why?

That's something I pondered earlier today. Why would Squarenix do anything to revive Chrono Trigger for today's audience?

Well, why do bosses invite employees out to dinner?

If you think about it, you'll understand EXACTLY how important this port is, and just WHY we need to help it make sales.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:39:08 pm by Captain B »

Ekul

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 09:57:00 pm »
Yeah, my comment wasn't really about you specifically, but your comment just reminded me of people that say that sort of thing as if 3D couldn't possibly make something 2D better and that 'nostalgia' is some great factor that makes things good.
Oh, okay. Yeah, a lot of people do have that kind of nostalgia complex. It's incredibly common to go onto a forum to hear people complaining about how things aren't as good as they used to be, and how their series has lost its "nostalgia". Depressingly common.