Author Topic: Magus' techs/magic disappearing  (Read 2196 times)

MystyGlyttyr

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Magus' techs/magic disappearing
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:48:11 am »
This was one I was pondering while I was playing the retranslation last night, and it's probably been covered a hundred times (though I couldn't find it through a search, I'm rather bad with searches), but I was curious about it.

I had just brought Magus into my party and was rather painstakingly trying to get his tech points built up, and kind of complaining to myself about the game device rendering him less of a mage than he had been hours earlier in the game.  Then I had a thought regarding it and thought, maybe it wasn't a game device at all.

During the confrontation with Lavos (when Crono was getting killed and all that), Magus confronts Queen Zeal and Lavos, and some sort of electric-looking energy takes hold of him and he says something to the effect of his magic being "drained away".  So the thought occurred to me, maybe when Lavos was draining his magic, Magus lost enough of his power that he became unable to perform those higher-level spells, and it was only through the course of battling that he slowly built his magical muscle back up to par, thus the whole part where he has to relearn spells he was easily smiting you with back in 600 AD.

It probably is something that's been decidedly obvious to everyone else here, but I was really proud of myself for thinking of it, heh.  What can I say, I'm slow.  :)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Magus' techs/magic disappearing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:02 pm »
Yeah, that's the common consensus...One question: Does he use any of his lost Magic if you choose to fight him on the Cape...? I forget since I haven't gone down that path for a while...

MystyGlyttyr

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:57 pm »
Yeah, that's the common consensus...One question: Does he use any of his lost Magic if you choose to fight him on the Cape...? I forget since I haven't gone down that path for a while...

I was curious about that myself and spent quite a few hours fighting him over and over with various party members, and he never used anything but his scythe and the "level 2" spell versions of Lightning, Fire and Ice.  If he DOES use any of the other spells, I didn't see them in at least a dozen battles.  (Though he does have a nasty habit of whomping you with all three of the spells right in a row, literally within seconds of each other.)

I have to say that reading on the Compendium has really reinvigorated my interest in the games...there's all kinds of hidden points to look into.  Plus the scientific mind comes into play and I just HAVE to test things over and over.  I'm always looking for new stuff to experiment on.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:38:14 pm »
Somehow, Lavos drained away his brain cells, too.   *points to signature*

Magus tried to defeat Lavos by hitting it in the face with a stick. In retaliation, Lavos started draining his power. I too have heard that this is why Magus has to relearn spells like Dark Matter and Dark Bomb.

(Wait... was that a stick? or was it a red lightsaber?)

...but I do have another theory. Isn't it possible for the Masamune to absorb his magic power?  I mean sure you could hack away at him in his castle and he'd still eventually use Dark Matter, but what if this is some sort of invisible plot device, like in Zelda games when Link talks and you never see what he says?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:48:10 pm by Captain B »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:04:11 pm »
(Wait... was that a stick? or was it a red lightsaber?)

It was a scythe. You know, his signature weapon and a general symbol of death. A stick it aint.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 06:39:46 pm »
I still say it's somehow the Masamune...or some other Dreamstone weapon, at least, that he figured would work well against Lavos, since the Masamune drained his own Magic Defense (& then the Magic energy stored by the Mammon Machine)...The three things are inherently linked: Lavos, Magic & Dreamstone.

Deezer509

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I enjoy it.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Clad - become a fan
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:25:41 pm »
I still say it's somehow the Masamune...or some other Dreamstone weapon, at least, that he figured would work well against Lavos, since the Masamune drained his own Magic Defense (& then the Magic energy stored by the Mammon Machine)...The three things are inherently linked: Lavos, Magic & Dreamstone.
That's what I've been saying for years!  Well... that's what I said years ago and no one seemed to listen.  (If I recall...)  Anyway, I agree with you because the "stick" in question is red.  We never see Magus use a red weapon ever again.  I thought it was possible he retrieved the Masamune out of the M. Machine before heading to the Pocket Dimension.  Magus might have thought the sword would be at the height of its power right after being "created."

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:59:04 pm »
That's what I've been saying for years!  Well... that's what I said years ago and no one seemed to listen.  (If I recall...)  Anyway, I agree with you because the "stick" in question is red.  We never see Magus use a red weapon ever again.  I thought it was possible he retrieved the Masamune out of the M. Machine before heading to the Pocket Dimension.  Magus might have thought the sword would be at the height of its power right after being "created."

Except if it was the Masamune, then he is holding the sword by the blade! However, if we compare that to his normal battle sprites, then we see that that is quite similar to how he holds a scythe.

To be fair, he had Melchior and the other Guru's out of the way. Magus could have well made his own weapon out of dreamstone (after all, he just had an experience against someone weilding a dreamstone weapon, it makes sense he would have used that), but if so, it was a scythe, not the Masamune. ... well, unless we take CC as inspiration and say that the Masamune changes shape to fit the one weilding it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:41:11 pm »
I had just assumed that he had focused all his powers into his weapon in a desperate all-or-nothing attack.  It obviously doesn't work and we next see him with all his powers drained.  I had never thought about it being the Masamune, but now that you mention it...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:52 pm »
I think it's too hard to be definite with those sprites because they're...well...sprites...It would obviously be easier for them to simply color his attack sprite than to make wholly new sprites showing him wielding a sword...but I think the Dreamstone scythe makes as much sense, I guess...Though, so does Boo's explanation, really...

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:34:51 pm »
 hmm, I don't see a blade on that stick, and he's still a retard for not just using Magic.

Deezer509

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I enjoy it.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Clad - become a fan
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 03:55:13 pm »
I don't think there's a blade on any of the sticks he swings around.  Or at least, I never see any. 

I actually just played through the Ocean Palace incident and noticed something interesting.  When the red knife transforms into the Masamune, an odd cone effect flashes upwards for a second.  When Magus stabs Lavos in the mouth, the same effect occurs.  Coincidence?  Probably.  Interesting nonetheless.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 03:29:23 am »
I know if you fight him on the cape, he still uses lightning/fire/ice3, don't remember about dark matter, ect ect

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 04:53:05 pm »
 And he starts off with all that elemental stuff when you get him.