Author Topic: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.  (Read 10015 times)

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake.
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
Anyone who upholds FF7 as a pinnacle of anything needs to take a long hard look at their tastes in entertainment. (Not to bash FF7; its vastly over-rated but fun, in my opinion

And I'm not holding it in the pinnacle of things, (nor, in reverse, am I Cross) and that's rather presumptuous to think that. I chose that for the comparison because both games were worked on by Kato.  A large portion of FF7's hype is from utilizing a new means of cinematic presentation to emphasize emotional elements unlike anything done before in game, or at least on an accessible scale.  By today's standards now, it isn't as good, but as a product of its time, that's where it stands out.  I could've also suggested Xenogears (which I would say is better than Cross and FF7)  but I felt that FF7 is more universally experienced, and thus would get a larger range of replies.

I do find the replies rather interesting though,  particularly since many missed the question comparison (which at least someone admitted they weren't sure what I meant) and instead focused on the two games as a whole.  I'm trying to be an aspiring writer in fiction works, so when I play games, I place a greater amount of attention on the separate parts of the game, and then later the whole, which is why I brought up a focus aimed strictly at emotional character weight.

Yea, the characters of FF7 are cookie cutter, more designed to fit known roles in the Final Fantasy archetype,  but what makes each story different is the dynamic tension, which the characters themselves go through. I found myself bored with Cross, like with an assigned novel and research paper; its characters and environment 'unbelievable' or rather, unconvincing.  The effects on Cross that events can change by who you recruit into your party is okay, but the lack of direct association anyone has to the story outside of Kid and Serge is horribly lacking.  They're not so much tied to the cause of saving time and dimensions, but rather just choosing to work with Serge for whatever.  It felt more like everyone else is out of the story loop and that this was Square's way of trying to be a Suikoden. (which handles large casts and stories very well)  By the comment on 'optional' characters, I'd just about associate that with the entirety of the cast of Chrono Cross.  Its 'better' characterization is both lacking in quality and overwhelming in quantity.  

As a game, Cross is a bit the better, showing the signs of experience and success in its gameplay.  As a story, (or as a story being told) I find it weaker, especially being a 'Chrono' game.  I think if they'd severed ties with Chrono Trigger and aimed it as a stand alone universe, it would've made the game that much more interesting.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 05:42:07 pm »
Nice to hear someone thinks it shouldn't be tied to CT. Most people think it wasn't tied enough to CT.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 06:01:11 pm »
Yea, the characters of FF7 are cookie cutter, more designed to fit known roles in the Final Fantasy archetype,  but what makes each story different is the dynamic tension, which the characters themselves go through. I found myself bored with Cross, like with an assigned novel and research paper; its characters and environment 'unbelievable' or rather, unconvincing.  The effects on Cross that events can change by who you recruit into your party is okay, but the lack of direct association anyone has to the story outside of Kid and Serge is horribly lacking.  They're not so much tied to the cause of saving time and dimensions, but rather just choosing to work with Serge for whatever.  It felt more like everyone else is out of the story loop and that this was Square's way of trying to be a Suikoden. (which handles large casts and stories very well)  By the comment on 'optional' characters, I'd just about associate that with the entirety of the cast of Chrono Cross.  Its 'better' characterization is both lacking in quality and overwhelming in quantity. 

I don't want to say anything to offend but I feel that is stupid. I figured none of them were suppose to be tied to it. It was just another way to customize your party. I guess I mean it is a gameing device not a story one. For instance, Characters like Mojo were added for the fun of having some silly character in your party. It gives the player more party customization and increases the chance you will find a character you like. Of course they could have tied them better but eventually you would run into a roadblock. Not to mention they didn't have a great budget. Some of the reasons they had for joining were lame, I will admit it but they aren't really characters in my opinion more like fun golems.

Epix

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 12:11:09 am »
Well, I know nothing about the DS, but according to Wikipedia:
Quote from: Nintendo DS Media Specifications
It currently supports cards up to 2 gigabit (2048Mb or 256MB) in size (with ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat being the first DS game to use a 2 gigabit card), which is four times the amount of memory that the largest Nintendo 64 cartridge was able to store (512Mb or 64MB).

That's 2 gigabits, however.

Whoa, that's really stupid. Why even bother speaking of it as Gigabits... I've never heard of that in my entire life of computers and hardware that's why I didn't even notice it...

I saw 2048Mb and figured it was Megabytes... that's really stupid.

Still I don't see how 2gb wouldn't be possible considering microSD cards are much smaller and can contain 8gigaBYTES..

Oh well we can only dream I guess.

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:23 am »
Anyone who upholds FF7 as a pinnacle of anything needs to take a long hard look at their tastes in entertainment. (Not to bash FF7; its vastly over-rated but fun, in my opinion

And I'm not holding it in the pinnacle of things, (nor, in reverse, am I Cross) and that's rather presumptuous to think that. I chose that for the comparison because both games were worked on by Kato.  A large portion of FF7's hype is from utilizing a new means of cinematic presentation to emphasize emotional elements unlike anything done before in game, or at least on an accessible scale.  By today's standards now, it isn't as good, but as a product of its time, that's where it stands out.  I could've also suggested Xenogears (which I would say is better than Cross and FF7)  but I felt that FF7 is more universally experienced, and thus would get a larger range of replies.

I do find the replies rather interesting though,  particularly since many missed the question comparison (which at least someone admitted they weren't sure what I meant) and instead focused on the two games as a whole.  I'm trying to be an aspiring writer in fiction works, so when I play games, I place a greater amount of attention on the separate parts of the game, and then later the whole, which is why I brought up a focus aimed strictly at emotional character weight.

Yea, the characters of FF7 are cookie cutter, more designed to fit known roles in the Final Fantasy archetype,  but what makes each story different is the dynamic tension, which the characters themselves go through. I found myself bored with Cross, like with an assigned novel and research paper; its characters and environment 'unbelievable' or rather, unconvincing.  The effects on Cross that events can change by who you recruit into your party is okay, but the lack of direct association anyone has to the story outside of Kid and Serge is horribly lacking.  They're not so much tied to the cause of saving time and dimensions, but rather just choosing to work with Serge for whatever.  It felt more like everyone else is out of the story loop and that this was Square's way of trying to be a Suikoden. (which handles large casts and stories very well)  By the comment on 'optional' characters, I'd just about associate that with the entirety of the cast of Chrono Cross.  Its 'better' characterization is both lacking in quality and overwhelming in quantity.  

As a game, Cross is a bit the better, showing the signs of experience and success in its gameplay.  As a story, (or as a story being told) I find it weaker, especially being a 'Chrono' game.  I think if they'd severed ties with Chrono Trigger and aimed it as a stand alone universe, it would've made the game that much more interesting.

I have to agree with you there. I disliked the large character cast in the game. The only characters I absolutely loved were Serge, Lynx and Kid. The three were very deep characters, and I wished that the game focused a bit more on the three. I wish SE could cut out the other completely useless and random characters, like everyone except Glenn, Harle, the people in affiliation with General Viper and Viper Manor, and maybe Fargo and Steena.
If they cut down all the random characters, you'll find yourself with a much better game. Less characters = more character development.
People wouldn't have reacted so negatively to the game if there was that "close-nit" group feel that Trigger had.
Wouldn't you agree.
This is a random topic, but how many of you would have liked to have Lynx (the real one) as a recruitable character?

Faust

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2008, 01:44:19 am »
I could not agree more, Toan

Cross seemed to become unnecesarilly convoluted by that ridiculously sized cast

Janice? Why?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 07:53:31 am »
I can mostly agree with that except that I don't understand why some people feel like lumping in Serge with the good to moderately developed members of the CC cast...Deep? He's far from it. Crono was a deeper character than Serge, and that's saying absolutely nothing at all (fitting, no?)...

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 11:42:04 am »
I can mostly agree with that except that I don't understand why some people feel like lumping in Serge with the good to moderately developed members of the CC cast...Deep? He's far from it. Crono was a deeper character than Serge, and that's saying absolutely nothing at all (fitting, no?)...
Serge still expressed emotion. Like at viper manor, when Kid gets injured, or when Kid gets stabbed. Doesn't he speak at the Temporal Vortex, the weird place with Harle and Sprigg?
There could always be more, but despite the fact that he didn't talk, he still has a deep involvement in the plot. :)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 11:54:40 am »

I thought he was very deep. He was the Arbiter of Time, unlike Chrono who held no special position except guy who defeated Lavos

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »
Oh come on, at least Crono had his goofy expressions. Serge was just bland.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 01:38:02 pm »
Uh, there was a lot more to Serge than Crono.  What do we know about Crono?  He's brave, has a strong sense of honor, and loves cats.  That's it.

Now we know plenty more about Serge.  About his childhood, his fears, and events that have transpired throughout his life.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 02:25:04 pm »
Uh, there was a lot more to Serge than Crono.  What do we know about Crono?  He's brave, has a strong sense of honor, and loves cats.  That's it.

Now we know plenty more about Serge.  About his childhood, his fears, and events that have transpired throughout his life.

Precisely, and that doesn't even sum it all up yet. I was really shocked when Serge lost his body in CC; because I really loved his character. (Yeah I know my nickname makes this a bit ironic, but Dark Serge is just awesome in appearance ^^ )

When Chrono died however I didn't feel much. Ofcourse, I was shocked a little, but not as much. It was just "Oh, hero gets killed off, how original."

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2008, 06:03:22 pm »

Oh, I know, but I meant his personality.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:20 pm »
I have to agree with you there. I disliked the large character cast in the game. The only characters I absolutely loved were Serge, Lynx and Kid. The three were very deep characters, and I wished that the game focused a bit more on the three. I wish SE could cut out the other completely useless and random characters, like everyone except Glenn, Harle, the people in affiliation with General Viper and Viper Manor, and maybe Fargo and Steena.
If they cut down all the random characters, you'll find yourself with a much better game. Less characters = more character development.
Part of the beauty of Cross is that you don't have to deal with any characters other than Serge, Kid, Lynx, and Harle. Everyone else is minor/optional. Even Kid is optional, for most of the game. If you want the game to focus on the core cast, just use the core cast. If you think taking Nikki and Pierre around is cool, then you can. You're not forced into using characters you don't like. (Unless of course, you don't like Serge. But who doesn't like him?)

Toan

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2008, 11:42:26 pm »
Part of the beauty of Cross is that you don't have to deal with any characters other than Serge, Kid, Lynx, and Harle. Everyone else is minor/optional. Even Kid is optional, for most of the game. If you want the game to focus on the core cast, just use the core cast. If you think taking Nikki and Pierre around is cool, then you can. You're not forced into using characters you don't like. (Unless of course, you don't like Serge. But who doesn't like him?)
I just hate the fact that those random characters take away the time that I would like invested in the main crew.
I wouldn't really mind having those optional characters, I just wish that the main characters had more development.
I know that there is already a lot, but I believe that they need more attention.