Author Topic: Spekkio  (Read 3890 times)

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
Spekkio
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:10:12 pm »
Something just occured to me...

All the characters' origin time periods are explained except for one...
What about Spekkio? Is he from a specific time period just flung to the End of Time like Gaspar by Lavos against his own will? Is he FROM the End of Time? Or is he perhaps a time traveler himself?

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Spekkio
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:02:24 pm »
I used to think he was from the End of Time, but it's also possible that he's a species created by Gaspar, similar to Belthasar's relation to the Nus.

And Spekkio does have a handful of knowledge regarding magic, saying:
   Long before you guys were born......
   There was a kingdom that prospered by magic.
   Everyone in that world used magic.

But that country grew addicted to magical power
   and was destroyed......
   After that, people became unable to use magic.
   Except for the Demons anyway.

So I'd say that if he's a time traveler, he's probably from a pre-Zeal era and was filled in on what happened to those power-hungry people (possibly by Gaspar), or he was from the time period he was describing in that quote.

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:02:36 pm »
Yeah, I got the impression that he was from Zeal or something.

You're right though, they're never quite clear on his home time period...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:36:04 pm »
Spekkio Compendium Entry

He says he's a God of War, yes?

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 08:51:06 pm »
I'm not sure if i trust that God of War thing entirely or not...
Cause if so, wouldn't he have much more of an impact upon the game since there is some sort of war between humans and something else in almost every time(reptites, earthbound and enlightened although it's not so much happened, only the events leading up to one until Crono and gang enter, mystics, robots). Plus, he could also just be(since his personality fits the ticket)someone who is bragging about how strong he is being very arrogant.

Plus as the page says those are theories so they are (well thought and good)thoughts, but nothing is definite. Although when parts of them are mixed they sound like they might be more real(or at least explain what I'm interested in knowing).

Gaspar making him does sound possible, after all he still retains his sanity even though he's the only one there, it might've been through using his remaining power he created Spekkio to keep him company. After all Belthasar lost his sanity when he was also thrown in a place with no life(he could find that didn't want to kill him anyways).

But then if that is true then the others can't be true, Deity for example. Deity says he truly is a God of War, and he wanted to watch histories battles(which also answers one of my earlier questions). But then that brings up a question similar to Lavos: where did he come from?
And certainly wouldn't that mean a God of War 3?
:lol:

But back to being serious...
lastly the Time Traveler theory...
Alright here isn't much to support that yet, okay then.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »
Well, his knowledge pertaining to the "kingdom prospered by magic" could hint that he's a time traveler, but it's seems more logical that he was told that information. But if Gaspar created him, why do the two seem to have little affinity for each other? Spekkio simply calls Gaspar that old guy, and things of the like, and I don't even know if Gaspar mentions Spekkio by name, he just hints that Crono and co. should go into the back room. If Spekkio was created by Gaspar, shouldn't he at least hint at some kind of connection to the old man? Or did Gaspar just create the creature to test lost time travelers?

And as far as being a God (or Master) of War goes, I figured that's more of a self-proclaimed status or a title he endowed on himself. He's not a creature or deity that oversees war, he's just a creature with warrior-like skills that are, in his opinion, hard to match.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 03:43:58 am »
Yeah, but unless contradicted by further in-game evidence, we're usually supposed to take information we're given as factual...I brought up the page so that this thread doesn't just repeat things that have already been gone over (or to bring up what has been theorized already). He's obviously a powerful being with the ability to change his own physicality and power...His final form is that of a Red Nu and the Nu possibly have a connection with the Entity, bringing them upwards to a godlike class, Spekkio then would seem moreso...

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:37:06 pm »
I suppose, and since Spekkio's form changes depending on your strength it would make sense that he ends up as a Nu, if the Nu are the eyes and ears or manifestations of the Entity: to be at your apex causes Spekkio to appear Godlike.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:14:17 am »
I noticed something else to add on the theory of Gaspar's creation.

You brought up how Melchior created Masa and Mune as dream creatures, so would he have any sort of relation to Spekkio since one of his forms is that of Masa and mune?

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 02:37:05 am »
It could be something as simple as just in-game mechanics.  Rather than recreate sprites and animations, its alot easier to simply recolor a set, especially if the recolor holds a similar 'value' to the player/gameplay.  Those playing Trigger for the first time facing off against Masa and Mune will fine them a challenging fight, and when it comes time to fight Spekkio in that form, its a similar challenge that's scaled up to compensate for the characters increased powers and stats. 

Spekkio does seem to be familar with the various time streams, as he's able to identify that particular element of each character, or at least identify that based on person's affinity for magic  (like ayla having none, therefore she's ancient)  That aspect might simple be part of the nature of residing in the ends of time, you simply are able to observe things. 

Now Spekkio's claim to God of War could either simply be self proclaimed, or actually gained from a lifetime.  If he is a creation of Zeal, then perhaps before the time of the Zealean royal family, there were wars waged, and with the aid of the guru's/spekkio Zeal grew to power.  Wayhaps Spekkio was the Cryrus of King Zeal?  And wayhaps he was killed in said war, as I don't think they specify how he died, they just include that he is dead.  A major distinction in class basis among a common set of people could have resulted from previous wars.  That would certainly account for the docility and poverty of the earthbound ones.  If the dreamstone incites love and hate, certainly that alone can be reason for war, and Zeal does have the dreamstone, while the earthbound ones don't.   

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 12:08:16 pm »
Spekkio does seem to be familar with the various time streams, as he's able to identify that particular element of each character, or at least identify that based on person's affinity for magic  (like ayla having none, therefore she's ancient)  That aspect might simple be part of the nature of residing in the ends of time, you simply are able to observe things.

I think it has to do with the fact that he has the ability to unlock the Magic potential within others...a fact in itself which is fairly god-like...

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 02:01:48 pm »
You brought up how Melchior created Masa and Mune as dream creatures, so would he have any sort of relation to Spekkio since one of his forms is that of Masa and mune?
Good question, and Xenterex made a good point about how Spekkio's form correlates to the challenge of the battle, a claim that's substantiated by a quote by Spekkio himself, "If you're strong, I look strong. If you're weak, I look weak." But the significance of each form seems pretty mysterious: a Frog, a Kilwala, an Ogre, an Omicrone, a Masamune lookalike, and a Nu. The latter two seem to be the most significant, as they can be connected almost directly to Zeal, but the Kilwala is a bit mysterious as well: Kilwala only existed in 65000000 B.C., how did Spekkio know of this form?

His appearance and his knowledge, even the more subtle knowledge, makes Spekkio seem like less of a time traveler and more of a Deity, in my opinion.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »
Perhaps he DOEs have some connection  to the wars of the times, that'd explain his knowledge of Kilwala(as an enemy)in 65000000 BC, Masa & Mune and Nu for Zeal, Omnicrone was an enemy in the Middle Ages, and... since you explained how he was killed it had to have been in the earlier ages, Middle Ages is the latest he could have lived, since none of his forms are from the future and when describing the characters, although he seems to understand Robo's magic stance, he seems a little more troubled understanding him then the other characters.

Another thought, if he's having any sort of appearance in Chrono Cross, because you enter the(practically)same place in the Bend Of Time and the blob there requires you to perform the same task that Spekkio does, not to mention Spekkio IS able to change his form, so could he have changed his form? Another reason I suggest he possibly could have lived throughout the Middle Ages, why else would he in Cross(if that is him)be related in any way to Ozzie Flea and Slash?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »
the Kilwala is a bit mysterious as well: Kilwala only existed in 65000000 B.C., how did Spekkio know of this form?

Actually, there's a Kilwala piano player in Porre in 1000AD.

I think his greater forms represent two of the most powerful entities the team fights...It might even be that he has no control over his form and that it only reflects the power and/or experiences of those he fights...

Another thought could be that he has some relation to Sprigg, another shapeshifter who also happened to live in a place outside of regular space/time...

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 03:50:22 pm »
Ah yes, the piano-playing Kilwala!

But none of his forms are from the future, and his dialog with Robo is pretty strange: "This hugeass doll......You, you're not a living thing".

And I think it's generally accepted that the "God of Combat" in Chrono Cross is Spekkio (he gives Janice a technique, I believe)...but the presence of the Mystical Knights in the Bend of Time may just be a nod to their combat skills. By the Middle Ages it seemed like there was a good interest in war, maybe the fact that he's taken the form of monsters from 600ad is an indication that that was the last period he was at before heading to the End of Time. It's also possible that the war between the Mystics and the humans was the last major war before 1999 or something.